My radian

Misty-Bug

now that it is FFing I see some reasons why people were complaining about them. I had not had any of the following problems when it was rear facing.
  • the buckle tounges are small and making the belt fold. I just unfold it an then pull it
  • The straps are pretty close on his neck. He doesn't complain though. I have the covers on them but I totally get it now.

I did not want to replace anything on the seat. I wanted to keep it original but now I get it. I will talk to my husband about it and if he sees the same problem we may be ordering the bigger male ends and a chest clip. I don't really want to mess with it. Cooper isn't complaining so I should just leave it be right?

ADS

becca011906

Senior Community Member
My FFing radian has bigger male ends and a fisher price (britax) chest clip on it. I had my radian replaced after using it ffing for 16 months b/c the harness was fraying where the buckles were rubbing it so the replacement came w/ new bigger onces on it and i replaced the chest clip with the one off my fisher price seat when i replaced it with my marthon... If it's not bothering you then just leave it but DO watche the harness for fuzzing/fraying at the male end buckels!!!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I left it. :shrug-shoulders: It's one of those things that just varies from one person to the next.

The buckle tongues I can see why some people don't like them, but I prefer them. My dd's been riding in a SafeGuard the past week and while I ADORE that carseat, I have to dig the buckle tongues out from under her bottom every time she gets in. :thumbsdown: I *like* smaller tongues that don't move, though I understand that some people have to adjust them frequently, so the folding gets annoying. But I've always left the harness pretty much the same, I don't loosen it every time, so that part has never bothered me.

As for the chest clip - it's cosmetic IMO. Gypsy's borrowing my Radian and she replaced the chest clip with a Britax one, and I can totally see the difference. It really does LOOK a lot better. But that's just it - it LOOKS better. It's not actually safer or necessarily more comfortable for all kids. My DD never complained about the original. It just looks funny is all. :twocents:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I ordered new tongues from SK. I don't want the straps to wrinkle at all.

bobbysgirl7103

I haven't done anything to mine, but I'm thinking about getting the bigger chest clip. My DS complains that the straps hurt his neck sometimes. I just don't like changing things unless I have to.

Mommy2Five

Not to derail, but where would one order wider tongues? Online? Or would I have to call SSK? Or should newer Radians already have them? (02/2008 DOMs)
they still seem to fold somewhat....

Misty-Bug

I like the smaller buckles myself cause we don't have to dig them out. I never resize unless I go from a cloth diaper to a disposable cause I messed up and didn't do laundry. LOL. I will just watch for the fraying. I guess worst case scenario I will just get the seat replaced? I prefer not digging out the buckles! I hated that about my AOE.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Not to derail, but where would one order wider tongues? Online? Or would I have to call SSK? Or should newer Radians already have them? (02/2008 DOMs)
they still seem to fold somewhat....

I emailed Russ, but we had been talking for awhile. You should be able to just call them.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I replaced the tongs. My daughter doesn't complain about the straps so I'm not going to mess with the chest clip.

solmama

I replaced the tongs on ours, and got the longer crotch buckle when our dd got older. We haven't had any trouble with the chest clip, but it's now her secondary seat.

supermommyof2

I replaced the buckle tongues and chest clip on mine. I've only had
to dig for the new buckles once, the velcro on the harness still keeps
them from sliding down most of the time.

I emailed customer service on the Canadian site and they sent them
to me (no charge) right away. They actually came more than a week
before the Britax chest clips that I ordered at the same time :rolleyes:

I believe that Russ said that they weren't changing to the wider tongues
on the new seats, but they would still provide them to customers that
requested them.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
DD1 rode for about a year total in Radians in DH's car (first a Radian 65, and then a Radian 80 for roughly 6 months each). We never felt the need to replace any of the original tongs/chest clips/crotch straps on either Radian. It's a very individual/your mileage may vary thing. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC