Good car that will hold 4 seats?

Kellyr2

What is a good, safe vehicle that will allow 4 seats to be installed?
I know that Mini vans aren't the safest thing on the road... how much do the side curtain airbags change that?
My dh is in an EMT class right now, and the instructor brought up minivans and mentioned both the side impact issue and the fact that (sorry, I can't remember the term) when the windshield breaks, the natural tendency is for the roof to then start to cave in. That the way they are shaped, the windshield is a big factor in the roof support system.
So now, whenever we get a new vehicle, which will be a while off, Dh is anti-mini van. But I don't want a gas hogging SUV. Are there any decent options out there? Options that can allow you to safely install 4 seats, not cave in when the windshield breaks, and not go through way too much gas?

ADS

skaterbabs

I like the sounds of the Mazda 5/6 (whichever one seats 6, I get them confused. lol)
FWIW, I would not be terribly concerned about the windshield thing. Vans are not easy to roll, which would be when you'd need to be concerned about the roof caving in.
I *did* roll my last van, an '88 Chevy Astro, when I was 5 weeks pregnant with my now 2 yo (so exactly 3 years ago next month). The windshield did not shatter, but was broken, and even though when we stopped we were on the roof (we rolled 1 1/2 times) it did not collapse, and in fact did a very good job of protecting the occupants. The van was of course totalled, but that's to be expected.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Kellyr2 said:
What is a good, safe vehicle that will allow 4 seats to be installed?
I know that Mini vans aren't the safest thing on the road... how much do the side curtain airbags change that?

Actually, minivans are among the safest things on the road. If you consider everything like the IIHS tests, NHTSA tests, weight, rollover risk and safety features, models like the Odyssey and Quest are among the safest passenger vehicles. Others like the Sienna are pretty close.

A great site that allows you to compare all vehicles across classes is http://www.informedforlife.org/CRSriskorder2006.pdf .

Windshields play almost no part in roof crush strength. Glass has almost no strength for that, plus it's most likely shattered by the time it would be subject to stress anyway. The design of the roof itself and the pillars is the most important thing, regardless of the shape of the windshield. Since there are no crash tests that compare roof strength, it's all a matter of conjecture. If roof crushing is a concern, your best bet is to stick with a lower riding vehicle that has stability control and avoids rollovers better in the first place. A minivan, wagon or crossover SUV with stability control would still be a good choice in that regard. With such a vehicle, you have far greater risk from frontal and side impacts.

Kellyr2

It looks like the Mazda 5 seats 6 which is really weird LOL. We do like that... I just wonder how well you'd truly be able to fit 4 seats in there. Especially if one of them was a Husky in the back row. And it looks like to get into the rear seat you'd have to fold down a middle seat - which wouldn't work. We'll check it out once we're actually shopping though!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It's no so much different than the Chrysler Pacifica. The Pacifica is also a very safe choice.

Kellyr2

I think we'll probably just stick with another mini van. Definitely with side curtain airbags. After having the space of a minivan, I just don't think we can go to a much smaller vehicle.
The other thing that the instructor had mentioned was the seats that lock into the car frame instead of being bolted in, being less safe. That, and the roof crush thing were based not on data she's seen, but on accidents that she's seen, as an EMT.
I'm still a little torn. but luckily, it'll be over a year before we're ready to buy!
Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC