Any one have this MA Problem?

PixieEMT

We've been having a problem with our MA harness. Usually it isn't so bad the one side is tight the other passes the old "finger" test. :rolleyes: Anyway it has been going on and off for about a month. Installed with LATCH anchors, and D ring to front pass seat leg. I noticed it usually leans a bit to the passenger side of the van (T & C) when I tighten it down.

Last night the one side was tight (can't pinch) the other side was soooo loose I could do the old "finger" test except not with two fingers...my whole hand sideways! :eek:
I pulled the harness all the way out by the adjuster and tried re-tightening it. It did it again! I repeated this about 4 x and got the same result! Finally while assisting the spliter plate and pulling the adjuster at the same time , I got the harness to tighten a bit better. :(

I noticed when I install it in my cousin's truck and nana's car with the vehicle belts I don't have this problem! So I re-installed it with the shoulder/lap belt and I had no issues this morning with it!? Tightened up awesome!? :)

Could it be the fact that the seat is leaning a bit to the side "crooked" that is causing the harness adjuster to malfunction?:shrug-shoulders:

ADS

pastrygirl

BOTH my MAs do this -- one side is crazy tight and the other is loose. It drives me nuts! I've taken them apart several times to make sure nothing was stuck or caught. I've started loosening the harness all the way after everything's buckled, with my hand behind the chest clip. It usually lines up evenly that way. Then I tighten and can usually get both sides even. But if I try to tighten without pulling it all the way out first, I can't get it even to save my (son's) life! :confused:

ETA: They are RF, installed with LATCH in one car, lap/shoulder belt with buckle-side lockoff closed in the other. No tilting in either case.

bobbysgirl7103

This happens every so often with my daughters MA. The first time I found that in the back where the harness attaches to the clip, one had flipped itself so it was shorter. Not by much, but it was a noticeable difference in straps when tightening. More recently I've noticed that she has been leaning a bit when I put her in so I will have to adjust my little girl while I tighten.

-Sarah

Misty-Bug

I don't have a MA but I wanted to say I have this happen with my Radian. Just the left side would be a little looser then the right. Never had it to your extent though. I pull on the straps where they align at the waist to try to get them the same on both side. Across the hips.

TerisBoys

My other thought was if it's been out for cleaning recently, the hip straps might be misrouted.

But if that's the case, you'd think it'd be off in all vehicles, not just one.

Stresch

I do sometimes, but it's always because my daughter is sitting kind of offset in her seat. If I move her around, it always gets better. Of course, she's a peanut, so she has a lot of wiggle room.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I too have this happen. What I do is wihtout DD in it I buckle the harness and lock the retainer clip, slide the retainer clip down low and pull on the adjustor strap and make both harness straps as tight as I can get them. I then slide the retainer clip up a little and place my hand flet behind it. Then I flip the realease lever up and pull out o nthe harness. this usually corrects the problem and get then even again.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I had this happen yesterday with an MA I was installing. Check the spitter plate. Make sure it isn't getting hung up.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I do sometimes, but it's always because my daughter is sitting kind of offset in her seat. If I move her around, it always gets better.

That's what happens here, too. And, because I'm standing outside the vehicle beside her, not straight on in front of her, it's not always easy to see that she's a bit off center.

PixieEMT

I will have to give those suggestions a try. I'm going to see if it happens again since I reinstalled it with the vehicle belt.

BTW: I haven't taken the harness apart....I did that with the FPSVD though:whistle:.....whoops....me bad.....learned my lesson!:eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC