Escape vs. Freestar

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'm stuck with a Ford vehicle (would rather have a Sienna or even my old Hybrid Escape back, but it's not an option) & stuck with this particular Ford dealer, too, which is the most obnoxious thing :(

Anyway, so I need a 6+ passenger vehicle & the dealership is willing to swap me into a Freestar since I discovered they swindled me on the Escape issue *SIGH* (Thanks SkaterBabs for reading my vent in the other thread, LOL). My '05 Hybrid had a frontal offest crast test rating by IIHS as Accpetable, side was Good ... my '04 scores as Marginal for frontal & Good for side (it doesn't have the side curtain airbags, but it has the torso side airbags in front only) ... the Freestar scores as Good for frontal, but Poor for side because it doesn't have any side airbag (front driver is the concern, rear passengers are safe, especially in 5-point harnesses) -- I was told it did have side curtain airbags by the dealer, but the CPST & I discovered it does not :mad: *Insert here various mumbled curse words about this dealer!*

Sooooo -- until just now I've been looking only at the issue of not wanting the DVD in the Freestar, but my brain has finally moved on from that, LOL & I'm leaning towards taking the Freestar simply because it holds all the passengers/carseats I need it to & I'm talking myself into by thinking about the fact that frontal accidents are more common than side impacts so since I'm more likely to be in a frontal impact I want the better frontal crash test results, but I'm also just not really comfortable with the comparison of Good/Acceptable side rating for driver's Head/Torso in the Escape vs. Marginal/Poor side rating for driver's Head/Torso in the Freestar....

Help :confused:

ADS

dvmroth

If they have a Freestyle you might want to check it out. I LOVE mine, it has seating for 6 or 7. IIHS gave it their top rating for front impact -- they haven't tested side impact yet. But the gov't ratings gave it 5 stars for front and side impact (w/o side airbags) and 4 start rollover resistant. It's actually built using Volvo technology for their safety cage. Personally I don't think the outside looks super stylish---but drive it and play with the fold down seats ect.... It also has 4 sets of latch :) It also drives great in the snow if that's a concern for you. If you want more info about it---let me know--buying mine was a HUGE decision.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Can you forcefully remind the dealer that you were promised one with side curtain airbags?
I sure want to try ... but it's sooooo against my nature - I was shaking after the 1st confrontation & actually had a nightmare about this last night :eek:

Would they offer a Freestyle?
They were going to look into it, but they say they can't swap me into a new unused Freestyle, which is supposedly all they have on the lot & since Ford isn't making them anymore they aren't getting anymore :(

I'm going down again today to try my personal best :) to pressure them into finding me something with side airbags, but if there really is nothing then I think I'll just take this because it does do what we need it to do (I'll just maintain the mantra that frontal accidents are much mor elikely than side) *SIGH*

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Thanks, dvmroth -- I do like the look of the Fresstyle more than the Freestar....

I feel like I'm overreacting to the side impact issue a bit, too, though, because NHTSA gives the Freestar without side airbags 4* (although IIHS gives it "Marginal"). I haven't taken the time (nor do I have it right now) to thoroughly read how NHTSA & IIHS control their testings to better understand the difference in their ratings :confused:

All-in-all I do like the Freestar, but am super paranoid (I have issues thanks to my PTSD etc. regarding my daughter suddenly not having me to take care of her) & I do feel safer in it than the Escape, but ultimately I would prefer a Freestyle & am disappointed to say the least that so far it looks like 1 is out of my reach :(

The paperwork on this Freestar says it has an added optional crossbar in the roof, though, so that's reassuring, yes? :eek:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
papooses said:
Thanks, dvmroth

I feel like I'm overreacting to the side impact issue a bit, too, though, because NHTSA gives the Freestar without side airbags 4* (although IIHS gives it "Marginal"). I haven't taken the time (nor do I have it right now) to thoroughly read how NHTSA & IIHS control their testings to better understand the difference in their ratings :confused:

The short answer-

The NHTSA tests with a typical size male dummy and a barrier that more closely resembles an oncoming car.

The IIHS tests with a typical size female dummy and a barrier that more closely resembles a higher SUV.

So, both tests have merit and complement each other. The IIHS test certainly takes head injury into much greater consideration than the NHTSA test. It's quite possible for a model to do well on one test and poorly in the other, and vice versa. Best to find one that does well in both (4-5 stars, "acceptable"-"good").

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Ah, thanks again Darren :) I'm still going to ask about the Freestyle, but I supposed I'll feel fine getting the Freestar, too....

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Thanks Rebekah :)

We're all home sick this whole week, but attempting to make our trip to D.C. tomorrow anyway ... just wanted to say that I got the Freestar & am pretty happy with the decision :rolleyes: ;) I've tried all our seats in every position, too, so when I get back I've got tons of input to add to the carseat database, LOL!

skaterbabs

Glad you found one you're happy with! Have a safe trip to DC. If you pop down about 3 hrs further south you can visit me in Richmond. ;)

skaterbabs

Then the next time you come down we'll have to get together. There's at least one other person down here who I'm sure would like to get together as well. ;)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Hehe - a carseat fanatic party :p

I do have complaints about this Freestar, though *SIGH* I mean, it does wha we need it to do, it's smooth, comfy & handles the steep winding snowy hill cliff roads well ... but, it's a gas hog :( I miss my hybrid!!! Plus, I'm having a heckuva time fitting 3 across the 3rd row -- it only has LATCH & top tether for the center seat; the tech & I haven't managed to get a secure install with the outboard belts in the 3rd row (except for boosters, but even the StarRiserComfy/Parkway don't fit outboard next to a CarGo or Wizard in the center) :mad: I can fit 2 Huskies in the middle row, though & there's a top tether for the front passenger seat (which has an automatic airbag shutoff sensor). Of course I'd rather not have a kiddo in the front, but it's nice to know that if I have to I can, I guess.

skaterbabs

Yep - won't that be fun. lol

I understand, it's a pain trying to get everyone in safely. I will be so glad when I can put all 3 of mine in the back.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yeah, kid in the front seat was my major reason for trading in my '99 Blazer (with that useless lap-only center belt that isn't allowed to hold a carseat) & getting the 2005 Hybrid Escape in the 1st place :mad: But ... seems like the Radian might solve this whole problem with it's 14" base. Really, it's not likely that I'll need to have all 5 or 6 kids in the van with me at once, but I like to work out the "just in case" factor :rolleyes: I'm hoping to visit my brother who lives near the closes Radian retrailer so I can try it RF in the 3rd row between the Parkway & Recaro Young Sport (I tried it again outboard a few minutes ago & got an acceptable install, just not as perfect as I'm used to, LOL), leaving room for the TwoWay+ or Secura with either the Husky or StarRiserComfy on the middle row (depending on if I need to fit 5 or 6 kids). If I need to fit 6 kids then I come to the issue of whether or not to sit the oldest in front in the SRC or in the Husky so that the 2nd oldest would be in the SRC behind the front passenger within arm's reach (the Freestar also has a "mommy mirror" to keep my eye on kids in the back without turning around) ... or if I should put the TwoWay/Secura RF in the front (since it has the auto airbag shutoff). I'm not sure which would be better :confused:

skaterbabs

Yeah, it would technically be safer for Joyjoy to be in the front, but then I can't use my passenger side mirror, and since 90% of my driving is without the boys, she's in back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC