Top tethers for 96 Dodge Caravan

linguistmama

I called the dealership in our town and they had no clue when I asked them about installing top tethers for our van. It's a '96 Dodge Caravan. The next closest dealership that does know what I am talking about is over an hour away.

Is there anything I could bring in to show the closer dealership?

Or some other way to help them understand?

Does Dodge usually charge to put them in?

TIA!

ADS

PixieEMT

Ya my dodge dealership was clueless when I called 2 weeks ago about a top tether kit for a 94 Neon. :rolleyes:I need it for a KDMF family receiving a seat soon.
It was $9, I had to PRE-pay...........then they never called me when it came in........then they lost it!!!!!!!:mad:
*sigh

Maybe a photo of top tethers? Sorry my 06 T&C has top anchors in it. We just installed top anchors in our 98 Malibu. That is a sedan though, and it is supper easy. I'm not sure about a mini-van. I think Darren has experience with vans and top tethers?:confused:
HTH-Sara

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
LATCH manual states:

"Tether anchor installation program: DaimlerChrysler dealers will install tether anchors in certain older model year Chrysler Group vehicles free of charge. Please have the dealer refer to Technical Service Bulletin 23-08-00 Rev. B for details on this policy."

The kit #'s for your vehicle are:
2nd row: (outboard locations only) 04864118AB
3rd row: (outboard and center) 05018506AA

This is a program/policy that this and every DaimlerChrysler dealership must adhere to according to it's parent company, DaimlerChrysler. Sounds like you're going to have to hold their hand through it since they have never done it before.

PixieEMT

Does Chevy have the same policy? I don't have a LATCH manual. :(
Chevy Malibu 1998

It would be nice to have the 3rd one done. We paid $24 a piece for the two kits we bought but we installed them by ourselves. Another would be nice for free. :whistle:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
GM dealers are supposed to do one tether anchor retrofit for free in retrofittable GM models according to the LATCH manual. The LATCH manual doesn't list part info. for retrofittable GM models because the part numbers change frequently and the dealership should have the current part information. Refer the dealer to GM technical service bulletin number 99-09-004 dated January, 2000 for details of the retrofit policy.

The Dodge dealership should retrofit tether anchors (plural, not just one anchor) at no charge to the vehicle owner according to the Chrysler bulletin referenced in the earlier reply. It sounds like the dealership didn't have a clue, or was trying to charge both the owner and Chrysler corporate. :(

P.S. The current Dodge section of the LATCH manual is online as a .pdf file and you can print it out for reference to show the dealership if need be:
http://www.saferidenews.com/LATCH_manaul_updates/DODGE_6_07_web.pdf The GM section isn't online, though.

crunchierthanthou

The kit #'s for your vehicle are:
2nd row: (outboard locations only) 04864118AB
3rd row: (outboard and center) 05018506AA

IIRC, the 1996 Caravan can have center and left outboard TAs added to the second row.

Does Chevy have the same policy? I don't have a LATCH manual. :(
Chevy Malibu 1998

According to the LATCH manual, GM will provide and install free of charge on CR Top Tether Hardware Package for most 1989 and later vehicles (including the Malibu). The TA must be for a ff CR in a rear seating position. GM doesn't list part numbers as they can change. Reference Service Bulletin 99-09-40-004 dated January 2000.

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
IIRC, the 1996 Caravan can have center and left outboard TAs added to the second row.

Yes - according to the link Jean provided that is correct. For some reason, my 2007 manual has second row center as N/A. The link has the part number listed in for the second row center, but not in red, like all the other changes. :confused: Sorry for the confusion there OP - follow what the link says. :)

christineka

Last year I got anchors put in my ford van. A year later I decided to have them put into our ford car. The local service center insisted they couldn't do that. I got the part numbers and had them ordered, but they said they couldn't do it for free and no such free program ever existed. I called ford. They sent me a ford document stating all applicable retrofitted vehicles and that it costs nothing to the consumer. So, I recommend contacting the company and get a document to show the local service center.

Christine

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Yes - according to the link Jean provided that is correct. For some reason, my 2007 manual has second row center as N/A. The link has the part number listed in for the second row center, but not in red, like all the other changes. :confused: Sorry for the confusion there OP - follow what the link says. :)

The confusion probably stems from some corrections/updates that were made to the 2007 LATCH manual after the first printing, mostly in the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Plymouth sections. Later printings include the updated info. and the changes are posted with links to .pdf files for the updated manufacturer's sections at the Safe Ride News site at: http://www.saferidenews.com/html/LATCH_manual_info.htm The changes are in red text in the updated sections. :thumbsup:

linguistmama

Thanks so much! Now another question:
I called today and actually got someone who knew what I was talking about:) But they said that the kit costs $42.00. Is that their policy? The customer pays for the kit and the dealership just does the install for free? The link says the installation is free, but I'm not sure if that means the parts as well or not. I'll get them either way, but free parts would be better.

mominabigtruck

It's all free.

I'm having tethers put in all spots of a 98 caravan and I'm not paying a dime. I honestly think that the dealerships believe that most people don't know the difference so they think they can get paid twice, once from you and once from chrysler.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC