2 car seats in a car at one time

S

sarah wise

ok this may sound silly.........but my MIL/FIL wanted to take my son who is 2 1/2 yrs (we have a Graco Natilus carseat) with them. no problem. they also had thier daughter and her 7 month old. still no problem....until I told them they could not be RIGHT next to each other, they need to be on opposite sides of the car. (the 2 car seats) I have spoken with few diff. certified car seat techs and they have told me to put them on other sides of the car. well they got so pissed and told us to bring the baby over later!!!! I mean every thing was fine until I asked them to do that. And I am NOT a rude person at all, I didn't demand them, I just informed them that they would have to be seperatethe father is ALWAYS trying to question me and he thinks he is the smartest thing around. ok thats fine, youre smart,,,,,,,,but please just do as I ask, as the kids mother! I guess I am trying to see what you all think. Do you all think it is ok to put the 2 car seats next to each other or not. and to top it off my car seat is HUGE so they wouldnt fit any way! But I am SICK of being questioned about this crap....any input would be great :) Thanks

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If the seats can be safely intalled next to one another, there's no reason not to put them that way, though. Usually it's not 'possible', but it's definitely not dangerous (the forward facing child should be in the middle, rearfacing child in the window, that's safest if they fit that way and the big kid won't poke the baby's eyes out or something :whistle:)

aisraeltax

ive never heard of it being dangerous BUT i would probably do it if i had 2 younger kids so they wouldnt fight w/ each other (ive heard too many horror stories from others).

and if they wont fit anyway..then whats the biggy?

Tara

Sorry, but there is no reason you *must* put the car seats on opposite sides of the vehicle. So long as each seat is independently, securely installed, you're good to go.

Jools covered it all quite well. :)

libranbutterfly

Also wanted to point out that unless they have a really new car, it would be better (if the seats fit) to put the seats side by side, otherwise their daughter would be using the lap only belt. I always try for side be side installation so that if I need to transport another adult, they have the safety of the shoulder belt.

zactayaus

My car seats have always been right next to each other from rf/ff to ff/ff to ff/booster. I need the third seat empty to be able to access the 3rd row in my suburban.

Mommy2Marcus

Hmmm...I have never heard that they can not be side by side either. If that were true how would you do 3 accross?? I think it would be fine IF they would fit!

bobbysgirl7103

I agree with the PP's. I have 3 across in my second row which includes my baby RF in the middle and then 2 more in the 3rd row. I've never heard that you have to keep them separated. But if you think your son would mess with the baby you might want them on either side. Also want to add that all my seat have been checked by a tech and he saw no problem with where they were.

-Sarah

Misty-Bug

they are fine side by side. Like Jools said, as long as you have tight independant installs and they fit well side by side. I have three across in my station wagon. Most times just two radians side by side. One FFing and one RFing. They are both installed independantly and are tight.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC