does a seat like this exist?

ts_peach

for my husbands 91 honda i need to replace an Alpha Omega that expires this year. we use this car for occational solo trips where we take one or two of the kids. here's my problem trying to figure out if there's one seat that will do double or even triple duty( for all three kids) easily.

i have a 16 month old who is just 20 lbs and still rearfacing, primary seat is a BV; a 3 1/2 year old who is 36 lbs and FF, torso is about 14" high i think (it's been a few months since i measured) who's primary seat is a Radian; and a almost six year old who is 40 lbs with 16"-17" torso(need to measure her again, still fits in the Radian though) torso who's primary seat is a Regent.

i'd like a budget friendly carseat (my husband is already tired of my buying carseats as everyone got new carseats last year for extended harnessing) that could go from rearfacing to forwarding facing pretty easily and that the straps don't have to be rethreaded every time. the alpha omega works great for just adjusting up and down. we don't have locking seatbelts so i am trying to keep this seat in the middle that also keeps the outboard seats available for my husband to transport friends which happens occasionally. it would be nice if i could use it as a booster for my dd, but i'd have to remove harness for that right? or maybe she could just fit in whateve seat i end up choosing.

what are my options? i was thinking about a Scenara originally but since DS is starting to approach the 40lb mark and i don't think adjusting the straps would be very fun i was trying to figure out what would work. we have the FP safe voyage booster for Oldest DD to use for carpooling and the occasional around town trip in this car, but i'm not comforable with DS using it yet but i want to be able to take him out by himself as well and not limit him because of a carseat. it hasn't been too bad turning the car seat and adjusting the harness height depending on who's riding.

maybe i could get a scenara to keep RF and then something else to put in and out for FF, lockoffs would be helpful, otherwise i'll have to use a locking clip which i really hate but at a budget friendly price i doubt that exists. if i did that they would have to puzzle nicely. i've installed his RAdian in this car and it was doable but not easy espeically fighting with the locking clip. (i can't wait to get new vehicles that at the very least have locking seatbelts)

thanks for any suggestions, i hope i've not gotten to overboard with details.

Last edited:
ADS

Qarin

The Evenflo Triumph Advance (EFTA) might fit the bill, for your two youngers, and mayyyybe your oldest. You'd have to reinstall it for FF and RF, but the harness adjusts without rethreading (and very easily).

bbartlettnfld

The EFTA also has built in lockoffs.. You may also look into the TrueFit from The Lurning Curve (TLC bought Compass). It also has lock offs and can RF/FF and has high harness slots so your older DD mayyy fit. Though RF must be at 45degrees regardless of child's age.

BethAnn

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
You mentioned that your 6yr old still fits the RA - did you mean MA? I ask because the RA top slots are 15", so with her having a 16 to 17" torso, she should've long outgrown the RA as well as the harness on the AO. The top headrest position in the AO can't be used with the harness in it, and once the shoulders go above the slots with it in the 2nd highest position in ff'ing mode, then it's outgrown. With the RA it's outgrown when the shoulders go above the top slots, or when the midpoint of the ear is no longer contained in the shell of the seat. (Both seats have a 40lb ff'ing weight limit.)

The EFTA also has built in lockoffs.. You may also look into the TrueFit from The Lurning Curve (TLC bought Compass). It also has lock offs and can RF/FF and has high harness slots so your older DD mayyy fit. Though RF must be at 45degrees regardless of child's age.

BethAnn

Unfortunately the EFTA doesn't have built in lock-offs. I still think the seat would be the perfect choice for a situation like this though, or the True Fit might fit the bill as well.

Sceason1972

I'd say the true Fit might be your best bet. It has lock-offs so no need o a locking clip. it also has high top sltos, so all 3 might still fit.

ts_peach

i'm sorry i did mean the radian (RN) not the Roundabout (RA) got my letters mixed up.

i'll look into the Truefit that might be a good choice. the recline with RF might be an issue as i have a tall dh who puts the seat all the way back and reclines it. that makes a good install in the center hard. but if it has lockoffs i can put it outboard passenger and that might work.

the EFTA might work as well but it's too bad it doens't have the seat lockoffs.

these appear to be the only two?

vonfirmath

BethAnn

The EFTA has built in lockoffs? Cool! I had thought I was going to need MArathon or TrueFit for that. Certainly makes it a more appealing seat!

ETA: Neermind. Read the rest of the thread. I'm back to struggling to figure out what to do next. (I know. Not important yet. But I want to know in the September Britax sale whether to buy or not!)

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I know how much everyone (including ME) hates the AO's but why not just get another one since it appears to do the trick in this situation (fits in vehicle, fits all 3 kids)? I'd think finding one as a decent price wouldn't be too hard, since everyone and their puppy sells them.

I'd also consider a Nautilus. True, it doesn't go RF but at 16 mon./20lbs DD meets the minimum. It sounds like a solo trip with dad is rare and I'm guessing the older two would be more frequent side kicks than the youngest. If more than one kiddo is riding, you will need to install another seat and you have a spare seat that does RF.

it would be nice if i could use it as a booster for my dd, but i'd have to remove harness for that right? or maybe she could just fit in whateve seat i end up choosing.

For occasional use, I personally have no problem leaving the harness in and using the seat in booster mode. Yes, it goes against the manufacturer, but I haven't ever seen anything that makes me think it is hazardous to the occupant in any way (unless getting tangled in the harness is a concern).

ts_peach

For occasional use, I personally have no problem leaving the harness in and using the seat in booster mode.

i was hoping this might be the case. the FP booster is easy to move around and fits beside the AO right now so it's probably not that big of deal but i've wondered about this questions before (for occasional use).

i'll think about another AO, i'll have to check ds torso again as i think he's getting close to the top setting for harnessed mode.

my youngest dd has done 2 short, short trips facing forward as the seat was already installed and it was a last minute change in who was taking who where (although trying to get the harness height adjusted while it was installed might have taken just as long as reinstalling RF!) she's just so little that i didn't really feel super comfortable with it for regular occasional use.

U

Unregistered

I just got a true fit yesterday and it is awesome!! One of the best thing about it for your situation is that the harness moves up and down between the slots SO easily, no re-threading!! My daughter loves the seat!

ts_peach

on checking out the TrueFit i am severly bummed that i missed out on a great sale price recently. this looks like it would work well (love the lockoff option and higher harness heights) but i'm not sure DH will go for another $180. maybe i'll ahve to wait for another sale... hopefully AO won't expire first.

if i could i think i would use the TrueFit for the older two as a backup seat and then decide if i wanted to do a RF Scenara installed to keep in the middle for the baby as it's a good seat for the price. i could easily move the Truefit outboard passenger with the lockoffs i think and not have to stuggle with locking clips...

Misty-Bug

maybe I am a minority but I wouldn't use a seat as a booster with the harness in it. LIke a poster said, it goes against the manufacturer. That could cause you problems if in an accident. Citing you were not using the seat properly. There is a reason why they recommend not having the harness when using in booster mode.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
There is a reason why they recommend not having the harness when using in booster mode.
Yes, and we know the reason :). To make the seat weigh under the old weight limit of 9 pounds (that half a pound of harness and LATCH pushed combo seats over the limit). The weight limit is still on the books but everyone ignores it now, since the extra weight of a booster on a child is supposedly no big deal.

:twocents::)

Misty-Bug

Yes, and we know the reason :). To make the seat weigh under the old weight limit of 9 pounds (that half a pound of harness and LATCH pushed combo seats over the limit). The weight limit is still on the books but everyone ignores it now, since the extra weight of a booster on a child is supposedly no big deal.

:twocents::)

oh:eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC