Anyone have both the Monterey and Monarch?

zactayaus

I am considering a new seat for my dd. She will be 10yo in 5 days. She is 52in 50lbs and has a 17in torso. I have 2 main concerns. One she is all legs so leg support is important. She does complain about her legs in her TB. Two is the head wings. They can't be too confining because she would freak. I need a high back because she falls asleep anytime we drive more than 15min. I really like the way the Monterey and the Monarch look for leg support but am concerned about the head wings. I have also considered the Jane Indy. The Graco air booster is out because she can't stand the way the seat material feels. I also didn't like the pleather on the head wings. Does anyone have both the Monterey and Monarch that can give me some real life comparisions. Can anyone comment on this? Thanks.

ADS

ginny4

someone on the babycenter car safety board had both monarch & monterey. her som outgrew the monarch & hoped the monterey would givbe him more torso room but it didn't give enough to keep. let me find it for you....

http://boards.babycenter.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=bcus9421&tid=27777
message 2 is pic of moneterey & message 10 pics of monarch

from the pics i belieev the headwings are more confining than the monterey. my son HATED the wings on the parkway & i think the monarch is similar. the side wings are not adjustable on the monarch like it is on the monterey

groovymom2000

Not sure anyone has a Monterey yet, so that may be why you're not getting any responses? :shrug-shoulders:I have a Monarch, and my son really likes it. We did make a footrest for him because of the leg support issue, though. I'll be interested to see how long he can sit in it comfortably. There is a thread around of Scatterbunny's that shows a bunch of boosters--not with a 10 year old though. As for the Monterey--we're all waiting to see how it is.

OK--I guess someone does have both. Sorry!

Last edited:

zactayaus

ginny4,
Thanks for the link. I don't think I have to worry to much about the height issue with just a 17in torso but wow I don't know about those head wings on either seat. Do you know if the monterey's head wings adjust out? I definitely need to find a place that sells them near me so we can try them out.

ginny4

no the headwings don't adjust out. i was concerned about the headwings on the monterey but DS loves them. he didn't liek the way the parkways angled into his neck have you seen a pic of my DS in the seat? the headrest is up all the way in the pic so i click down or 2 he would need & the wings feel even better to him. i saw that walmart.com has the gray one available. you can do site to store to try it out or have it shipped. it's allof $3 to ship to your house

here's my guy in the monterey
CarSeat062.jpg

& just so you can see the difference of headwings in the parkway
CarSeat058.jpg

zactayaus

ginny4,
Do you think with the head wings adjusted down to the right height that headphones could be worn? This is a big deal because we travel quit often (during the summer we drive 2hrs each way every weekend to our camper down the shore) and the headphones are a life safer for those long trips.

ginny4

not sure. as i don't have headphones. i guess it depends on the size of the headphones i bet the thinner the better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC