Questions thread for May 15th live chat!

skipspin

Here is the chat information from this announcement: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=40223

Thursday, May 15, 10AM Central time.

The main topic is Side Impact Protection for Children.

Our guests will be Dr. Laura Jana and Sarah Tilton from Britax Child Safety.

Time permitting, we will also field questions on Britax products in general, however, questions regarding side impact issues will have priority.

So, ask your questions here! I will be closing the thread to questions sometime on Tuesday the 13th- so post them before then please.

Last edited:
ADS

Morganthe

How does the Regent perform in side impact testing? Is there a difference with a tall child vs a smaller tot?

What is the official purpose of the recline bar on the Regent?
Is it to make the seat tighter against the back of the vehicle's seat or
is it to reduce head excursion?

Are there any plans to create a shorter depth recline bar to fit in sedans and other vehicles that lack leg room when it'sinstalled?

Why does the Regent require a recline bar, but not the Frontier?

Is my child in any danger in her pre-June 2007 Regent for remaining with Long Belt Path installation because it fits the Camry much snugger than switching to the short belt path where it's fairly loose?

crunchierthanthou

does LATCH in booster mode improve SIP?

how tight does the install have to be when using LATCH for the Frontier in booster mode? less than 1" of movement as in harnessed mode, or just secure?

can you use center LATCH in booster mode in vehicles that don't generally allow for non-standard spacing?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
(Anyone remember what that bar on the bottom of the MA's is called, I can't remember, but I want to know what it does..energy absorbing something or other?...I'm putting this in parentheses because I don't want Joy to c&p it, lol)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
In Britaxes side impact testing, does the bench move forward before it is struck from the side?

Are there any special dummies used for side testing?

Has the Frontier been tested in booster mode with the 5th percentile female dummy? What other dummies?

I've heard some people already finding the reverse belt path is too long for their seatbelts, are there any installation tips that may make it work?

The Frontier also seems to install better in some cars with the recline block in booster mode, will this ever be an allowed belt/LATCH installation option?

crunchierthanthou

I've been meaning to ask more. I was working on some saturday when IE closed on me and I lost my draft. I guess I had too many tabs and windows open. :rolleyes:

How does the rear facing tether affect side impact performance? is there a difference between australian and swedish method for SIP? spefically for Britax convertibles- why are they no longer allowed to be tethered rear facing to the vehicle seat on which they are installed or even straight down?

What main differences do we see between harnessed seats and boosters in side impact crashes? Is there an age or size when we see that minimized?

this study by CHOP found that SIP is improved when seatbelted passengers are seated next to each other.

Seat belt restrained children aged 4 to 15 who were riding in the rear row of passenger cars reduced their risk of injury by up to 58 percent in side-impact crashes if they were riding with another seat-belted passenger in the rear row. The data suggests that development of a restraint system that limits side-to-side motion would be effective in reducing injury during side-impact crashes.

Have your findings been consistent with that information and if so, does it extend to children in boosters and harnessed seats?

Is there any danger to seatbelted passengers seated next to harnessed seats? Does the shell of the seat provide protection or cause harm to adjacent passengers?

for Britax

are any Britax products going to be discontinued, or are there any more in development?

Were there any major design changes to the convertibles that now have a 35 lb rf limit? are there any more changes planned?

why the move to the 1" of shell above the head for rf rule? and why do the manuals now state that the harness must be at or below the shoulders for rf (when previously it was okay for the harness to be above the shoulders of small babies as long as it was on the lowest slot and a snug fit could still be achieved)?

is the Diplomat outgrown rf by height when the child's head is 1" from the top of the actual shell or top of the headpiece?

why is the inflatable headpiece required in the companion? specifically, why when it wasn't part of the fisher price clone?

Is there an age or size when use of the infant insert should be discontinued in the boulevard or decathlon?

cpsaddict

This is just for Britax products in general:

Will the Mossy Oak be brought back at any time?

Any other cute boy prints coming?

Will the Diplomat Cowmoo(black down the sides, cow in the center) pattern be available on the Marathon or Boulevard?

southpawboston

1) does britax uses their own proprietary side impact testing method, and if so, what can they tell us about it, and how does it compare with the non-ratified ISO-14646 (hinged panel) standard that never took off.

2) how differently do current selling britax seats based on similar shells but with or without TSIP (i.e., boulevard versus marathon) compare in side impact testing?

3) is there any difference in test results when using a seat with a LATCH bar (e.g., marathon) compared with standard LATCH strap (e.g., decatholon), rigid LATCH or a seatbelt?

4) is britax exploring the option of bringing back rigid LATCH to any of their seats?

skaterbabs

Are there any plans for taller boosters to accomodate the small adult female/large preteen crowd to increase their safety in vehicles without head restraints?

remken

Do they test their seats with out chest clips? Since its only a pre crash positioner why is it required? If I have can get my sons straps tight and in the correct position without it. Besides the fact that the manual says you have to use it?

Disclaimer: I do use the chest clip since the manual says I have to. But I would love it I didn't have to.

Thanks remken

KristiD761

Senior Community Member
For Side Impact Testing...
With the products with SIPS protection, the margin of difference between dummies in RF seats versus FF seats...there is a lot of discussion about placement of multiple children.
I always place the most vulnerable occupant (new baby) in the center, with older child in a booster outboard.
I have been told that actually the rear facing new infant should be outboard and the booster riding child in the center instead.(least protected child in most protected position)
I hesitate to do that if new baby is in a small carrier, and booster child is in one with SIPS. I would still put baby in the center.
What are your thoughts?

steph

This is about the BV vs the MA.

Obviously the BV has TSIP in the headwings but it doesn't have EPS foam through out the rest of the seat, whereas the MA has it all up and down the sides. Do they notice a difference a sizeable difference in protection from the BV vs the MA in side impact since the BV just has protection in the head area vs the MA having all down the seat?

Hope that makes sense??

lynsgirl

Shallow question first :D
Are there any plans to have a CowMoo cover for the Regent (or maybe Frontier, as well)?

Less shallow question :p
Could they please please pretty please switch back to the previous design of FF lockoffs on the convertibles?

Would Britax ever consider raising the RF weight limits past 35 lbs?

Will rigid LATCH ever be reconsidered, re side impacts?

Since height is an extremely variable factor, why were the RF height limits changed?
And
A) are they set in stone to be followed with NO exceptions and B) if so, why? Do you have data backing this up? Asked because of the difference in individual children who may be the same overall height (torso length, leg length, different fit in different vehicles, etc).

Is the Parkway definitely discontinued? Will it be brought back at all if demand were high enough? It's a narrower option (with no armrests :thumbsup:) with TSIP that is more attractive to use in tight situations than something with armrests and no real SIP. It's also a more budget-friendly option (again, with SIP) to present to the average parent than the Monarch. Not saying get rid of the Monarch - just keep the Parkway.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I might have more later...

CANADIAN QUESTIONS
----------------------

Will Britax be removing the numerical height limitation for RF use from their convertible seats in Canada, in light of clarification from Transport Canada? If the 1" guideline is not going to be adopted, will the RF height limitation be increased?

Will Britax be raising the RF weight limit on convertibles from 30lbs to 35lbs, as is the case with the US convertibles? Or 33lbs? If not, why?

Is there a updated estimated release date for the Frontier in Canada? Have seats been manufactured and shipped into Canada as of yet? Do you have estimated dates for the Boulevard and Diplomat?

When will the Canadian Frontier manual be available on Britax's website? What are the stated weight and height limits of the seat for the Canadian market?

If there are currently only four covers for the Frontier, why were only two released to Canada? Do you have plans to eventually release all four, if sales warrant?

AMERICAN QUESTIONS
----------------------

Are other Frontier patterns planned? Are alternate fabrics going to be available (100% cotton, for example) as far as you are currently aware?

With the emphasis on having some fabrics available in most or all Britax seats (for example, Onyx) why has there been no emphasis on similarly-patterned boy/girl combination covers (for example, pink and blue camo)?

Is there any plan to release a higher-weight (RF) convertible seat, such as the Britax Multi-Tech or Two-Way (as in Scandinavia) that rear-face to 55lbs? Or anything over the current 35lb RF cap? If so--what current seats have been tested beyond 35lbs, and have any been tested with the 6-year-old dummy (without regard for height?)

-----------------------

I'm sure I'll think of more... Any other Canadians?

-Nicole.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
crunchierthanthou said:
Is there any danger to seatbelted passengers seated next to harnessed seats? Does the shell of the seat provide protection or cause harm to adjacent passengers?

:yeahthat:

And, if there is danger, what can we do in this situation?

I'm specifically considering when I do my 3 across w/ the Radians and MA in my 3rd row (all FF) and the MA overlaps the Radians. All seated, all harnessed, but how is that affecting their head protection.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Oooh, and for Britax: I've noticed that the Frontier has a 2 yr minimum age. Are plans in the works to add this requirement to the Regent, or even the Monarch, which really should have a 4 yr minimum?

and

Are you at all concerned that your product selector lists the Monarch as an acceptable seat for a 30 lb 12 month old?

and

The wording on the Marathon (and other seats?) states "Use only in a rear facing position when using it with an infant less than 20/22 lbs" This wording is confusing, as it leads some parents to believe that the rear facing position is only for those under the limits. Also, why did the limit change? On my 02/04 Marathon, it says 22, and my 04/06, it says 20. Why the step back, especially when most other manufacturers are instituting limits that "force" parents to keep their children rear-facing longer (ie. Recaro, minimum FF 30 lbs, Dorel, minimum FF at 34 inches)?

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Recently the IIHS did a study on load limiters in vehicles seatbelts and found that the overall protection was decreased. While injuries from loading the belts was decreased, there were more serious injuries occurring due to the occupants striking the vehicle's interior. How might this apply to CRS designs and load limiting devices? Also, if the rip-stitch tether "gives" during a SI crash, isn't that likely to decrease crash protection?

tjham

Have they ever thought of making the bases on the big 3 Britax seats removable?
(like the AOE, the only thing I liked about it :rolleyes: )
That would make a lower profile for older kids, a feature I like on the Radian.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC