Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    dorymacsmom@yahoo.com

Highest Harness Height

I HAVE A SIX YEAR OLD WHO HAS OUTGROWN HER BOULEVARD HEIGHT ALMOST. SHE IS 46 IN AND 44 POUNDS. I HAVE ALITTLE TIME BEFORE SHE OUTGROWS, BUT HER SEVEN MONTH OLD LITTLE BROTHER IS A HALF INCH TOO TALL ALREADY FOR HI SEAT SO I NEED A NEW ONE IMMERDIATELY.

I AM CONSIDERING FOR SIX YEAR OLD( BABY IS GETTING THE BOULEVARD) A REGENT(BUT I WORRY ABOUT NO WINGS AROUND THE HEAD) A FRONTIER OF A GRACO NAUTILU. iI POSTED EARLIER AND HAVE BEEN DOING READING OF RESPONSES ADN OTHER THREADS ADN NOW READ ABOUT THE RADIANS WHICH I HAD NEVER HEARD OF. THEY SAY THEY HAVE THE HIGHEST HARNESS HEIGHT AND I THINK SHE SHOULD BE IN A HARNESS AS LONG AS POSSIBLE.

SHOULD A CHILD STAY IN HARNESS AS LONG AS POSSIBLE OR GO TO A HIGH BACK BOOSTER WITHOUT A HARNESS AT AROUND EIGHT YEARS OLD? SHE IS TALL AND SKINNY SO I KNOW SHE WILL BE AT THE TOP OF THE GRACO EVEN THOUGH IT LOOKS COMFIER THAN THE RADIAN. WHAT SUGGESTIONS DO YOU LADIES HAVE? THANK YO SO MUCH!!!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Re: Highest Harness Height

Hi & welcome to the forums at car-seat.org.

In the bottom right hand corner of your post, you should have an option to edit post. It would be very much appreciated if you'd edit your post so that it's not all in caplock.

(I'll delete this post once you've done it. I wasn't able to PM you, so posted it here instead. )
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dorymacsmom@yahoo.com View Post
    SHOULD A CHILD STAY IN HARNESS AS LONG AS POSSIBLE OR GO TO A HIGH BACK BOOSTER WITHOUT A HARNESS AT AROUND EIGHT YEARS OLD?
    Personally, I like to keep children harnessed as long as possible. I would prefer that an eight-year-old stay harnessed, but would feel comfortable with an eight-year-old being in a booster if she is able to stay seated properly at all times. If you bought a Regent and used a booster as a back-up at that age, I would feel perfectly comfortable with that.

I think the Regent sounds like a good possibility for your daughter. It will allow her to stay harnessed for several more years. If she is just now outgrowing her Boulevard, she should still have years of harnessing left in the Regent.

The Radian has the highest slots of any convertible (RF/FF) seat (at least it used to... I am not sure if that is still true or not). The Regent's slots are still higher than the Radian, though.

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Is she six or eight? I would try to harness a six-year-old, but would not panic if I had to booster her. At eight, a booster would be a reasonable option -- although harnessing would certainly not be *wrong*.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart