What car seats can be used reclined ff'ing?

Shaunam

I'm curious for special needs kids who are too big to rf but have little head control. Thanks!

ADS

BW1426

What about getting your Dr. to write a script for a Swedish seat that RF to 55 pounds or so :D:D:D

mamabear

can't the Marathon be reclined FF up to 33lbs?
I guess if they're too big to RF then that wouldn't work either though, unless it was just a height issue to RF....

MOM25BOYS

The Nautilus has a recline feature.:) Just not sure how much it reclines though. I didn't recline the boys, but might be changing that to keep them from slumping forward when they fall asleep!;)

Shaunam

This is hypothetical at the moment and not for my child. I intend to look into swedish seats when DD is older. :)

I'm curious because I'm giving advice to other moms and in the event that they are not receptive to ERF'ing, or have kids too big to rf, I'd like to be able to offer suggestions.

Of course I would bring up swedish seats but this is not an option in some cases.

BW1426

Is this for Charlie? If it is, how much does she weigh again and what is her neck control like?

TerisBoys

The Nautilus has a recline feature.:) Just not sure how much it reclines though. I didn't recline the boys, but might be changing that to keep them from slumping forward when they fall asleep!;)

I'm not sure the Nauti recline would be enough for a child with serious tone issues. Ryan's are minor and he sleeps ok with it reclined, but I can see a floppier child not being very well supported.

The recline only lifts the base an inch or so - not much at all really.

TXAggieTech

Recaro Young Sport, but not very much.
Maxi Cosi Priori- quite a bit, w/o reinstalling
Britax Marathon- up to 33lbs, not sure about the 35lbs seats but that probably went up also

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
We just learned about these today in my class. Here is a list they gave us:

Britax convertibles--reclined FF to 33 lbs
Graco SS2--5 recline options
Graco CarGo Platinum--Has a recline foot
AOE--FF can be semi-reclined
Scenera--FF can be semi-reclined
Uptown--FF can be semi-reclined
Touriva--FF can be semi-reclined
EFTA--four recline positions, most recline is RF only
Recaro convertibles--FF is pretty reclined
Maxi-Cosi Priori-- 4 FF recline positions

BW1426

I'd think a Boulevard, Como or Signo would be the best bet. I think the head wings would be really helpful with a special needs child that needs the extra support.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'd think a Boulevard, Como or Signo would be the best bet. I think the head wings would be really helpful with a special needs child that needs the extra support.

Yep, the high harness height & weight is a huge plus as well :thumbsup:

Shaunam

We just learned about these today in my class. Here is a list they gave us:

Britax convertibles--reclined FF to 33 lbs
Graco SS2--5 recline options
Graco CarGo Platinum--Has a recline foot
AOE--FF can be semi-reclined
Scenera--FF can be semi-reclined
Uptown--FF can be semi-reclined
Touriva--FF can be semi-reclined
EFTA--four recline positions, most recline is RF only
Recaro convertibles--FF is pretty reclined
Maxi-Cosi Priori-- 4 FF recline positions

That's so informative, thanks! My EFTA only has 3 positions. Do the more expensive models have 4 or is this a mistake?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
That's so informative, thanks! My EFTA only has 3 positions. Do the more expensive models have 4 or is this a mistake?

That's what's on the sheet they handed out. I think our EFTA has the RF position and 3 FF positions. I'd have to double check, though.

southpawboston

the recaro young sport can be used in recline mode up to the full 40 lbs that it harnesses to. recline mode on that seat is more reclined than FF in a como or signo. and face it, you can't get better head support than a YS in any US seat.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
That's what's on the sheet they handed out. I think our EFTA has the RF position and 3 FF positions. I'd have to double check, though.

Awesome list, thanks for posting it. :D

The old Triumph had 4 positions, with the most reclined for rf'ing, but the EFTA only has 3 positions. My guess would be that they might not have realized that the recline settings changed when the seat changed. :thumbsup:

thepote

Our Recaro Como is really reclined no matter what we do. In some cars it's pretty steep. It has lots of support, too. When DS2 sleeps his head doesn't hang at all.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Here is a great PDF from Safe Ride News Courtesy of The National Center for the Safe Transportation of Children With Special Health Care Needs. This list is not all inclusive.

http://www.saferidenews.com/pdfs/new_page_pdf/Semi_Recline_FF_CR.pdf

Thanks for posting the link! They had just given us the hard copy, and it didn't give a link.

Awesome list, thanks for posting it. :D

The old Triumph had 4 positions, with the most reclined for rf'ing, but the EFTA only has 3 positions. My guess would be that they might not have realized that the recline settings changed when the seat changed. :thumbsup:

Yes, it does say Triumph and not Advance, now that I look at it again. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC