which seat for airplane nautilus or ma

we have to fly to fl in november. we will be renting a full size car while there. our 10 month old will be getting her own seat on the plane and we are taking her marathon. my question is with my older daughter. i am assuming she will still fit in the marathon she has since she is petite. which seat would you prefer to fly with the marathon or the nautilus. i am thinking of taking the ma. that way i will have a spare cover incase i need to wash one down there(i have a third ma so i would just take that cover). if it makes a difference i plan on buying two of the traveling toddler things to attach the carseat to our carryons. that way hubby and i can each roll a kid along. does anyone have experience with flying with these seats or using them with the traveling toddler.

ADS

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I have no experience with the Nautilus, but I have traveled with a Marathon. The most important piece of advice I can give you is to use a seat belt extender (ask the flight crew for one) for FF installs on the plane (it's not necessary for RF.)

The plane's buckle will end up behind the shell when you install it FF. It becomes almost impossible to undo unless you have the extender.

Happy travels! :)

momtoirs

We are traveling right now with our Nautilus. We drove our car to a distant parking lot, walked two blocks to a train, took a train to the airport, walked from the train to the terminal, flew to NYC, and took a taxi to Brooklyn. The GN fit nicely in our Volo stroller. We thought we would just use the LATCH straps to hook it on the Volo, but at the last minute grabbed a luggage strap instead. We had no trouble with it on the plane. It did help to recline the plane seat when we buckled it in and then move the seat back upright. It was good and tight that way. There were 3 of us -- DW, DS (3 1/2), and myself. I'm sure we made quite the sight at 4 am! We each had a backpack. I was pushing the stroller with the GN attached and DS's sleeping cot folded up and sittting in the seat, while pulling one suitcase and DW pulling two other bags. DS switched between holding onto the stroller and helping pull a suitcase. Its been a great travel seat. The cupholder made up for not being able to use the tray table and we didn't need a belt extender. Any other questions just ask. We fly again on Wednesday.

Tina

I was planning on using my Nautilus for my trip with my 4.5 year old - putting her in the seat on the plane. Is that overload? Should I just check it and have her in the airline seat? I'm a bit confused in this matter.... your thoughts please.:confused:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I was planning on using my Nautilus for my trip with my 4.5 year old - putting her in the seat on the plane. Is that overload? Should I just check it and have her in the airline seat? I'm a bit confused in this matter.... your thoughts please.:confused:

I had my 7 year old use her carseat on the plane. Now, I wouldn't have done so had we not needed to bring it along for use in the car, but since we were bringing it anyway, I figured she might as well use it on the plane.

Reasons:

#1: I don't want her carseat getting banged around with the rest of the baggage.

#2: Comfort - she was much more comfortable in her carseat than she would have been in just the airplane seat, particularly when she slept. I sat between her and my 9 year old, and SHE didn't fall over and sleep on me. ;)

#3: Emotional security - flying was new and scary, but her carseat made things more understandable and familiar. She's used to riding in a carseat when we go somewhere.

Safety on the plane was at the bottom of my list. At 7, I seriously doubt being in a carseat would provide all that much more protection in a PLANE crash. But as long as I had to haul the dang thing along, she might as well USE it!

Debbie,

That's exactly the answer I needed. And I agree - we're headed to Philadelphia for a long-ish weekend (me business and she with god-mommy) and we'll need it while we're there. And like you I don't want it banged up.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

natysr

we have to fly to fl in november. we will be renting a full size car while there. our 10 month old will be getting her own seat on the plane and we are taking her marathon. my question is with my older daughter. i am assuming she will still fit in the marathon she has since she is petite. which seat would you prefer to fly with the marathon or the nautilus. i am thinking of taking the ma. that way i will have a spare cover incase i need to wash one down there(i have a third ma so i would just take that cover). if it makes a difference i plan on buying two of the traveling toddler things to attach the carseat to our carryons. that way hubby and i can each roll a kid along. does anyone have experience with flying with these seats or using them with the traveling toddler.

I also have no experience with the Nautilus, but I do fly with the Marathon and Traveling Toddler. I LOVE it. If I were you, I would order the Traveling Toddlers now and practice with them at home. If you don't like the way the GN fits with the TT, then maybe use the second MA.

Another tip I have is the gate check the two rolling lugages once you get to the gate. Then you do not have to worry about carrying the seats and the luggage down the plane aisle. I would bring a backpack for the things that you will want on the plane.

Is your baby 10 months now, or will she be 10 months in November? If she will be 16 months in November, I would print out the FAA Advisory and highlight paragraph 18. Sometimes flight attendants don't like to see toddler rearfacing and will try to make you turn the to forward facing. Don't do it! Show them the circlular which states that you can use the seat FF or RF based on the instructions if the childseat. Your child will be safer and more comfortable RF and will also likely sleep better, and you will have fewer dropped toys.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC