Swindled

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Some here might remember the fiasco with the local Forder dealer & my 2005 Hybrid Escape: they broke the engive during the 1st oil change, had me in various loaners for over 2 months, denied my request for a refund, exchanged vehicles (not another hybrid, but a Limited '04) ... turns out this 1 isn't at all worth what I was told, yet I have the same exact payment (with higher insurance, gas & maintenance cost *GASP*) so I've been advised to write the NYS Attorney General -- wondering if anyone has been through a similar experience & can offer any suggestions or optimistic outcome scenario :confused: :( :eek:

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
OK, well, I'm just really fed up with this dealership ... their anex location had given me bogus info on my old Blazer: "the middle lap belt is fine for a carseat" (manual & manufacturer say NEVER install carseat in the center) & "it's because of the automatic retractor" (nope, wrong again, it's because of the width of the seat belt anchors).

Anyway, so I went in today during my lunch break, showing the owner the paperwork I have stating this '04 limited Escape is worth $10,000 less than my '05 hybrid Escape, said I've been advized to write the NYS Attorney General & Federal Government, have the letter waiting, but am willing to let them make it up to me before I mail it - gave him the choice of writing me a check for $7,000, puting me back into the Hybrid (because they weren't willing to have the engine totally replaced while I owned it, but did so after they gave me the limited & it currently has a sticker price of $1,000 more than they sold it to me before) *or* swap the limited Escape for a 7 passenger vehicle of equivalent value.

They were unwilling to acknowledge any of this & I ended up walking out in a huff, but not before noticing that I'd had quite a few customer's undivided attention :p They called me 20 minutes later, kissing butt - I again explained that I am angry I'm paying almost $600/month for a vehicle that isn't worth it, that the crash test ratings are worse & as such my insurance went up, that the gas & maintenance cost is higher, & most importantly that I had requested a full refund when they offered to make the exchange & they said they couldn't do that ... I found out after that if I request a refun when my vehicle has been in the shop for more than 2 months that I'm supposed to get it. Period. No questions. No nothing.

I explained that I'm opening a daycare & because I owe so much more than this vehicle is worth I can't trade it in or sell it privately in order to get the vehicle I need for transporting the kids (I'm offering a service where I'll bring mothers' infants to them on their lunch break so they can continue nursing) ... he offered to do an even swap for 1 of the Freestyles or Freestars on the lot, all of which have an equivalent sticker price, side curtain airbags, low miles, free extended warrantee & salt/rust protection :cool:

I'm still waiting to check them out & make my choice, but I'm pleased with their crash test results compared to the '04 Escape (no airbags) - worn out emotionally, though, being a bully for the 1st time in my life! :eek: Sooooo ... any advice between the Freestyle or Freestar??? (Other than 6 vs. 7 passenger seating -- I'm likely to only need 4 carseat positions anyway)

Last edited:

skaterbabs

Yay! Glad you finally got through to them. No advice on which car to choose, I'd probably choose the one with the most seating, but I routinely have exta children too. lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC