Britax Price Increase

dhardawa

I received a notification from Britax over the weekend that they will be raising the MSRPs on most of their seats. Of course, I only remember a few.

Marathon $279.99
Decathlon $294.99
Boulevard $309.99
Monarch $149.99 (no increase)
Roundabout $229.99
Companion $209.99
Regent $279.99
Frontier $279.99 (no change)

Wow, I remembered more than I thought I would.

They also sent out very specific details about their price fixing policy. There are tons of places violating it though because I'm 99% sure it is illegal (even though in the documentation they say it is legal which makes me question it more). It appears it will carry over to brick and mortar stores too though whereas before it was internet only.

ADS

Ashley_R

Do they not realize there are now several seats designed to directly compete with thier seats that are much cheaper and in some cases offering better features. Raising the price will not increase proof.

I guess they must have allowed the same people who hired the seat cover deigners to hire their marketing group.

fyrfightermomma

I know that due to rising prices, prices must rise all over the board, but these new price increases just put these seats further and further out of the reach of alot of parents.

The general population who purchases seats will definately go with the competition over a $300 seat. I know most parents say Britax is already too expensive, now with the increases, that statement will be heard more often.

They really need to think of what other compaines are doing. Theres awesome competition out there with similar features. They are going to lose a lot of business to them.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I know that due to rising prices, prices must rise all over the board, but these new price increases just put these seats further and further out of the reach of alot of parents.

The general population who purchases seats will definately go with the competition over a $300 seat. I know most parents say Britax is already too expensive, now with the increases, that statement will be heard more often.

They really need to think of what other compaines are doing. Theres awesome competition out there with similar features. They are going to lose a lot of business to them.

I guess they do not mind sending business over to the competitor.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
This is sad, especially since I know what my store pays for them, and it's likely the major retailers (with more buying power) get them for even less. :(

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
This is sad, especially since I know what my store pays for them, and it's likely the major retailers (with more buying power) get them for even less. :(

What is even sadder is I know your store will likely have them about $20 higher than everyone else. :(

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
She has prices all over the board on Britax on the website. A contour MA for $320 :eek:. I do not care what the pattern is.

Momof4Girls

The price change appears to be only about $10....:twocents::twocents:

I can't see that being significant enough to deter many parents. Prices on *everything* have gone up, as other posters have said...it's only a matter of time before *all* prices go up.

Raechel

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
The price change appears to be only about $10....:twocents::twocents:

I can't see that being significant enough to deter many parents. Prices on *everything* have gone up, as other posters have said...it's only a matter of time before *all* prices go up.

Raechel

For people who already think this was too much and with other price friendly options out there I think it will make a difference.

dhardawa

Actually, they don't. I have received invoices that didn't belong to me mixed in with my invoices before and everything I have seen shows the same rates for everyone.

dhardawa

I think the Boulevard sales will drop. Yeah, it is only $10, but that pushes the seat over the $300 mark. They said the increase was due to oil costs increasing 75% (for the plastics).

Starlight

Senior Community Member
She has prices all over the board on Britax on the website. A contour MA for $320 :eek:. I do not care what the pattern is.
That isn't her, that is the franchise, who runs the website. They set the website prices, we just set the instore ones. But yeah, $320 for that seat is high. We have the Trellis in store for $269, it's on the website for $299. :shrug-shoulders:

aisraeltax

do you know when the price increases take effect?

this doesnt make me a happy camper....i want to wait until the sale to get the Frontier (in the fall). i dont really NEED it then just want it...so I will probably wait until the Feb. sale to get it.

does $10 cause me much distress? not really...BUT w/ the price of fuel at the gas pump, food prices increasing, etc. etc. etc., I will wait on non essential items...such as a new Britax that i WANT but don't NEED.

i think in a bad economy, raising prices for what is to a large extent a luxury item (dont get me wrong..i love britax and take them over everything else basically), is a wrong move. I dont think car seat safety is a luxury...but a britax is a luxury for a lot of families, kwim? compared to what else is out there.

i agree...i think they are going to lose business this way. they gain $10 on each seat they sell but they are going to sell less....

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
i think in a bad economy, raising prices for what is to a large extent a luxury item (dont get me wrong..i love britax and take them over everything else basically), is a wrong move. I dont think car seat safety is a luxury...but a britax is a luxury for a lot of families, kwim? compared to what else is out there.

i agree...i think they are going to lose business this way. they gain $10 on each seat they sell but they are going to sell less....

Prices are going up for everything. It costs more to manufacture and ship seats. The price increase seems fair to me.

And, philosophically, I'm much more okay with raising prices on luxury items than on essentials -- if people can't afford the Britax price increases they still have options, but if people who have been scraping and saving to get a $40 Scenera now have to scrape and save a little longer and a little harder, maybe they just won't be able to.

dhardawa

do you know when the price increases take effect?

this doesnt make me a happy camper....i want to wait until the sale to get the Frontier (in the fall). i dont really NEED it then just want it...so I will probably wait until the Feb. sale to get it.

does $10 cause me much distress? not really...BUT w/ the price of fuel at the gas pump, food prices increasing, etc. etc. etc., I will wait on non essential items...such as a new Britax that i WANT but don't NEED.

I believe it was June 1. Unfortunately, their cost has gone way up too.

My friend and my cousin were going to get Britax Marathon's during the next sale...hopefully they are still cheap.

That totally puts the britax's out of alot of people's reach! I know I for one will not be purchasing any. :-(

aisraeltax

Prices are going up for everything. It costs more to manufacture and ship seats. The price increase seems fair to me.

And, philosophically, I'm much more okay with raising prices on luxury items than on essentials -- if people can't afford the Britax price increases they still have options, but if people who have been scraping and saving to get a $40 Scenera now have to scrape and save a little longer and a little harder, maybe they just won't be able to.

i wasnt speaking from a societal viewpoint. i agree w/ you...price increases are much easier to stomach on luxury items than food and gas...just saying from a business perspective, it doesnt make sense to me. Ppl are looking for things to cut back on, delay, etc. etc. A $10 increase can shift that psychological commitment.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC