PLEASE... Needing help finding new seat!

kpayne

I know that I recently posted a thread about wanting to buy the FP safe voyage Deluxe but due too some extra research I want to see what other smart options are out there.

I live in Germany, but since we are a military family we are allowed to use US car seats in Europe until we leave in 2010.

We drive a European spec. 1992 BMW and a US spec 2008 Dodge Caliber. Right now my son is RF in a Roundabout and while in the middle of the back seat the roundabout touches the front seats... Crazy I know. I do not like the European Car seats... they turn the kids FF too soon for me! The BX(Base Exchange) sells the Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat. My friend has this and it is nice but I swear when I was at Walmart I read the side of the seat and it said it was not approved for aircraft.:eek: it needs to be aircraft approved (since last Thursday the flight attendants check my son's seat before our flight here to the states) I thought most seats were but in my research I am finding that my assumption was wrong.

I really don't want to spend more than $200 on this new seat.

My son is 17mos, weighs 24pounds and he is 37inches in height. I realize that he has not outgrown the roundabout but it is expiring very soon and an some places the seems in the plastic are starting to separate :eek: (Is it possible that I am installing it car seat too tightly? Or is that more because it is expiring?)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
ADS

emandbri

The Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car is airline approved I'm not sure why it says it isn't, it isn't approved when used as a booster maybe that is it.

The separating really bothers me. Is there anyway you can take a picture of it? Honestly, I'm not sure if you should wait for a seat to come from the US with that happening, are there any other seats at the BX? Do you know anyone you could borrow a seat from in the mean time until you get a new one?

kpayne

I am in the states right now... and I am asking so many questions so that I can buy a seat ASAP!

The seat is separating at the very bottom of the base in the front.
child-car-seat-brown-comboshow.jpg

Like I said it is about to expire... I know that the word separation is scary but I know that the install is tight and secure... I also know that I need a seat like yesterday. I just don't want to spend money on just any ole' seat when I know I am going to be buying a permanent seat any day now.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Any damage to the shell of the seat and it's not usable - if the plastic truly IS *separating* you should call Britax, you might be able to get a new seat either for free or for a reduced price.

For under $200, I encourage you to look at the Learning Curve True Fit, the Sunshine Kids Radian 65 and the Evenflo Triumph Advanced. Any of those would be an excellent choice!

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Damage to the base probably isn't a safety problem, but I won't make that call - I still think you should talk to Britax to see if that's a safety issue or not, and like I said, you might be able to get a Roundabout or even a Marathon at a reduced price as a result of the separation.

kpayne

For under $200, I encourage you to look at the Learning Curve True Fit, the Sunshine Kids Radian 65 and the Evenflo Triumph Advanced. Any of those would be an excellent choice!

Thank you!!

This seat is 2nd hand but the previous owner was a well known friend... the seat is from 2003 I think, since it expires this year. I am not sure if britax will be of any help since the seat is ready to expire. It is worth a try... so thank you for that suggestion!

I am just wanting this next seat to last him a while... trying to ship a seat to an APO address is a pain!! I figure this way I can just take this new one over as his seat on the plane.

... and I promise as soon as I get the new seat I will destroy the old one!

PixieEMT

I would suggest the Evenflo Triumph Advance or possibly the Radian. Even though someone around here (was it Wendy or Darren) said it is very hard to install RF in a plane. I have never worked with a Radian so I'm not sure.

So you are flying back to Europe soon? :question: Would you be willing to take my dog back to Belgium with you! lol :whistle: Before I give her a boot across the Atlantic Ocean back to Belgium! :evil grin:
Here's her Daddy, maybe he misses her! http://www.geocities.com/lehameausaintblaise/aramis.htm

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A Radian will not fit rear facing on a plane. No way no how unless you can be guaranteed a bulkhead row. So scratch that one.

I like the Evenflo Triumph Advance, I haven't played with the True Fit yet. The Scenera is lightweight and good for travel (rear faces to 35 pounds, weighs 9 pounds, $45), so maybe buying that for travel is good, and then something else for every day? The EFTA is hands down my favorite in the less than $200 range, and close to my favorite in the any price range. But it's a big bubble and I don't know that I'd want to sit next to one, especially when it comes time to forward face, on an airplane for eight or ten hours. However, you probably have hands only for one seat, so that'd be what I'd head toward. Walmart and Target have both seats so you can compare them head to head. I don't know where to find a True Fit yet. I'd love to see one in person.

Wendy

aisraeltax

take this for what its worth. "about to expire" isnt the same as 'expired' and i think a call to Britax about that issue would be warranted. I would call them and see what they say. You may be able to get a discount on a new MA or BV, which is what i would get in your situation.

alternatively, you can find a MA online for not much over $200, although im not sure if you have that much time (how long before you leave, etc. etc.).

solmama

Ditto the others. I would go with an
Evenflo Triumph Advance $140 @ Walmart, Target, Kmart
--ff to 50lbs
--rf to 35lbs
--sits on a base
--6 yr expiration
--takes up very little space rear-facing, the best feature of this seat.
--nice seat, but the red tabs at the top rubbed on my son's neck...we replaced it with the

Truefit $180 @Amazon.com, other places have it too
--ff to 65lbs
--rf to 35lbs
--easy to adjust harness height (don't have to remove the seat), lockoffs are easy to use too
--very well padded with epp foam all around
--doesn't have a base, sits lower on seat
--my 4yo, at 44", 42lbs, 16" torso still fits and likes this seat
--7 year expiration
--First Years/Learning Curve just released this seat, there are some kinks that need to be ironed out, but I love it! Far better than the EFTA. My ds is rear-facing in this seat. I chose to have it at less than 45* (37/38*), so it fits in our vehicle, in the same space the EFTA used to. My son is very comfy in it and protected.

Radian 65 $180-$200 @target.com (can be returned to the brick and mortar store)
---rf to 35lbs
---ff to 65lbs
---can be difficult to install, but persistence rules and my dh can install a Radian, in about any vehicle, in around 5 minutes.
---doesn't have a base, so it sits lower on the seat
---8 year expiration
---we have 2 of these, great seats. BUT, the Radian takes up a ton of space rear-facing (due to the rf boot). Unless you can put it in the middle of your vehicle, it's going to take up lots of space.

Good luck and enjoy your visit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC