Need advice about 3 seats in 2001 Honda Accord

J

Jessalyn

Hi, everyone, I'm new here and was hoping you could help us out. I'm expecting my third child in about 2 months. We only have one car - a 2001 Honda Accord. I have:
* a 4yo boy, about 40lbs, in a convertible seat (no idea of brand);
* a 2yo girl, about 26lbs, in a Cosco Alpha Omega(?); and
* a newborn on the way.

Right now I was thinking about getting a Radian 65 for my 2yo, a Graco TurboBooster for my 4yo, and using a Graco SnugRide for the new baby. Does this seem possible to fit in the Accord? We REALLY cannot afford another car.

Thanks very much,
Jessalyn

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I wouldn't put the four year old in a booster. He's too young and too light. Four years and 40 pounds is the absolute bare minimum. Besides, the Turbobooster isn't very narrow.

What convertible is he in now? That's somewhat important, and more importantly, where are his shoulders in relation to the top slot? Are they over, under, just at the top slot?

I would probably get him a Radian and put him in the middle if you can. Then put the AO rear facing on one side and the Snugride rear facing on the other. Though the AO isn't terribly narrow either. I just don't think you're going to get a Radian rear facing in there. It's too big front to back.

As the baby gets older and you need a convertible in that location a Scenera would be a good idea. It rear faces to 35 pounds, like your AO, and then it forward faces to 40 pounds with 14.5" top slots (I hear new ones are a little higher). So it's not going to be the only harnessed seat you need, but it's $45 and quite narrow. And it's good for small babies.

That'd probably be my first attempt. Rear facing AO for the two year old, forward facing Radian for the four year old, then rear facing Snugride, and then Scenera, for the baby. That way the least protected child (forward facing) is in the most protected location. Since rear facing is five times safer than forward facing, and rear facing seats react better during side impact collisions than forward facing seats, I'd definitely want the two rear facing kids on either side.

If AO/Radian/Snugride (Scenera) doesn't fit, I'd get another Scenera for the two year old. Try that. Or, since you'll have a Radian you can try it out rear facing behind the passenger or driver (and in the middle as a last resort if you'd need to put a rear facing child there). Maybe it will fit, I don't know. If it does then you can get another one of those for the two year old. Then forward facing four year old, and rear facing baby. If you need to stagger out the seat costs I'd buy the Radian first, then in several months the Scenera (or buy the Scenera sooner for the two year old if AO/Radian/Snugride doesn't fit), and then buy a second Radian down the line if you need it.

HTH

Wendy

Jewels

Senior Community Member
There are some pictures in the 3 across thread of 3 across in a '96 Accord. I've gotten a FF Marathon, FF Radian and a RF SafeSeat1. Given that the Marathon is a big seat I would guess that your AO should fit although you may need to take the base off of it. I've had the best luck with the Radian in the middle. It needs to go in first and the seatbelt stalk (female end) needs to be twisted 2-3x before doing up the seatbelt. Buckle it and then pull the seatbelt tight right at the buckle while putting your weight in the seat. I open up the velcro slits in the Radian to pull the seatbelt tight as if you just pull up by the shoulder it doesn't get nearly tight enough.

Of course after you get you seats installed it is recommended that you get them checked by a tech.

Sorry, this isn't the best picture but you can see the 3 across:
image.jpg

NVMBR02

My sister has a 2001 and she has had a FFing Marathon and 2 turbo boosters and a FFing Marathon, a FFing Radian and a safeseat. She also could fit 2 evenflo Chase seats with a rfing snugride. Those are the only combo I have tried with her, but the backseat is a decent size so I think that playing around with the seats you have you might be able to make it work with what you have or replacing one seat.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Whether or not you feel your 4yo is mature enough to use a booster, keeping the 4yo harnessed would make buckling SO much easier. I buckled two TBs on either side of a Marathon for years and while it was do-able, it was a PITA. Harnessed seats weren't an option for our situation, but it sure would have made day-to-day use a lot easier!

BTW, you need to find out more about the seat your 4yo is currently using - many of them have 40lb weight limits and it's very important that you don't use the harness past the weight limit. If your son is 39lbs stripped down at the doctor's office, he could very easily be well over the weight limit once he's dressed with shoes and a full belly. If he's over the weight limit, he needs a different seat immediately - in a crash, the harness could rip right through the shell of the carseat if the child is over the weight limit. :(

If you post what info you can find on the seat (take it out and look for stickers with the model number), or even a picture, we can probably help you identify the seat and the weight limits. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC