Seeing Kids without carseats

K

KGRoberts

First time posting here;

My question;
What's worse..... Kids running around in the back seat while traveling down the highway, or kids in used carseats that are 6 years old AND expired.

I'm in Texas (Houston) and see little ones bouncing around in the back seat (sometimes the front seat!) on a weekly basis. I'll be driving down the highway, or stopped at a traffic light, or parked at the grocery store. These cars come from all socio-economic areas -- from old econo cars to BRAND NEW LEXUS SUV's! The Lexus drivers are just plain negligent, the less affluent drivers should be able to use one of my 6 year old car seats that are in good shape.

Do I seek out worthy recipients? Or am I doing more harm than good by suggesting those parents buckle their kids up in one of my used car seats?

I'm just trying to save a child's life, and a parent's heart, here.....kgr

ADS

skaterbabs

No, the worst is seeing a kid who has a seat, but isn't in it. I saw a little girl, couldn't be more than 4 or 5, in a booster today, not even buckled in. What's the point?

U

Unregistered

yes Ive been wondering this as well. I have a few used seats that never have been in accidents or anything, but are past or close to passing their exp date.

I see WAY too many kids at my g/parent's grocery store with newborns to toddlers without seats at all. Im pretty certain it is because of lack of funds and education. The store mainly gets welfare shoppers. I have been wanting to give the seats to parents who would use them.

Is that ok? to give them a seat that is past its prime but still in great condition? if it means that without it they would not be in a seat at all?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I read an article once on how seats are really generally good for 10 yrs, but most manufacturers make it less than that to err on the side of caution and in case it was stored in extreme conditions and it might have broken down faster, but also b/c 10yrs is a long time in the world of safety. I would say an old seat is better than no seat IMO. The best option would be to find a place that gives free carseats (new) or help them get a Scenera, but if hose aren't possible, I'd give an old seat that is accident free.

U

Unregistered

well Id never give anyone an OHS or Tshield seat, those arent the ones I have. I think what I have left right now are 2 infant seats. both 5point harness, one is a snugrite and the other is umm eddie bauer something(I think its cosco brand). Id say they probably have a year left before the expiration date, but they are in use right now by my cousin. I was thinking when they were outgrown by her of giving them to people who without it wouldnt have a seat at all(and seriously at all, not just dont want to buy one but cant).

And what about our britaxs when they are expired? I would think as long as the seat is not harmed/worn and still has most the specs a seat now a days does(5point harness and stuff)... wouldnt that be better than nothing at all? Cause I dont have the money to go out and buy everyone an up to date seat and Im sure neither do they...

U

Unregistered

also to add, I wouldnt give anyone a seat that looked or felt like it had something wrong with it other than the date printed on the side.

There arent any places around here at all to get free seats, the hospitals dont even give free seats. I have seen way too often infants not in seats at all, as well as toddlers too. Or if the person was lucky to get one for a couple bucks at a yardsale completely installed wrong(forward facing for newborns, installed sideways, or not in there snug at all).

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
There are many CPST/SAFE KIDS orginzations in the Houston area that give out free carseats to parents no questions asked. I would direct them there. Check with a local CPS tech and they will be able to direct you to the orginzation to get these families free seats. Most fitting stations will have seats to give out.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I've given ppl seats when i've seen them using old expired seats and if i happen to notice someone with a seat installed totally wrong (like FFing infant seats and belts over seats not in the belt path) i will tell them its wrong and offer to show them how to fix it.

The police in my town and the neighboring town dont give away seats but the ones in the big city near buy do (or the ones on the poor side of town do, i dont know about the others) They gave me one after my 2nd accident for DN.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I've given away a few seats, too & keep the police # programmed into my cell phone....

I'm trying to get my daughter's Nursery School to add a Child Passenger Safety activity to their curriculum for the kids AND parents because every day I see at least 1 kid under 4 not in a harness or even a booster or carseats are expired or installed in side/rear facing seats *SIGH*

I've called 1 mom in to the police twice & I still see her INFANT loose in a lap-only belt (she's foreign & seems to just not "get it" or care) :eek: :(

Kellyr2

You know, just the other night, I saw a car in a parking lot. We were at a little convenience store - my dh was inside and this car had a woman and 2 kids waiting on a dh too. At first I didn't notice the woman, and was shocked that someone left 2 kids alone. They were both pretty young - I'd guess 3 and 5 or 4 and 6. Well, they were playing in the car, climbing over seats, sitting in the opened window and nearly falling out... the dad came back and got in and cranked it up. They sat there for a second and I thought surely they were going to turn around and buckle the kids in, or make sure they'd gotten buckled. But they didn't. And I watched them pull out into the road, the kids still up and down and obviously not buckled. I was just in shock!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC