Quick! How to clean vomit out of Recaro straps and buckle?

jubgulia

My son just threw up in his Recaro Young Sport and nowhere in the manual can I find anything about how to clean the straps and buckle! This is the second time he has thrown up in this seat and only about the sixth time riding in it! (He never threw up in his old seats, and only ever thrown up at all one other time that I remember.) The last time we just wiped the straps with damp soapy cloth, but that time it was more projectile. This time it's all in the buckle and already crusting. Can I rinse out the buckle and really clean those straps?

ADS

jubgulia

*chirp* *chirp*

Okay, well, I just went ahead and washed them. I figure they've been drenched with worse. Soapy water rinse and some brushing shouldn't do any more harm.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Did you submerge them in the soapy water? If so I would call Recaro and ask them if they are still safe to use. Most car seat manufacturers do not allow you submerge in water.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I would still call Recaro to see whta they say. Most only allow you to wipe with a cloth or soft toothbrush. There my be some that allow you to hold under running water but i do not know off the top of my head.

In the meantime I would not use it unless you really have to. I am not saying it is not safe. Just that I am not sure and you need to find out for certian.

S

safetymom

My daughter threw up in her Recaro convertible seat last week and I thought that I had got all of it up. Apparently not. I then took Q-tips and got out all of the crusty stuff on the metal of the straps and re-wiped it down with baby wipes and Febreeze which still didn't help.

I know that the washing instructions say not to put the cover in the washing machine. I did because I did not have any other option and it came out fine, I put it on gentle. It still smelled!!!!

So today, I sprayed all natural orange room freshener (nothing but oranges in it) You can get it at Trader Joes and I am sure other places too. and it sat out in the sun for about 4 hours. (My mom always told me that the sun takes away mold smells and apparently oranges and sun works for vomit. Lo and behold, it doesn't smell at all anymore. Not even like oranges. Yeah!!!!

Hope this helps someone.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC