WWYD?

ZephyrBlue

I'm giving my FPSVD to a friend's DS and DIL; they have a 6mo baby boy and another baby due in August. THey are using a SnugRide that they got new at the baby shower for their first baby; as poor college students, they were going to purchase another infant seat at a garage sale for the new baby or a convertible for their son (again, at a garage sale).

They don't live here but are in town visiting until next week. I told them today that I have a seat for their baby boy- then they can use the SR for the new baby when she's born. The mom wants to FF him now, at 6mos. I told her that he can't FF now; 1yr is the minimum, but he's 4x safer RF to the weight limit of the seat. She was really bugged and said she wanted a convertible that would allow him to FF soon. Not sure why she is in such a hurry to FF him; I didn't have time to talk with them at length today, but may have an opportunity to chat with them before they go back home.

I'm wondering if I should give them the FPSVD now, knowing that they may well FF that baby immediately. I told them I could ship the seat to them later, so they dont' have to check it on the plane (baby doesn't have his own seat, so they can't use it on the plane going back), but they want to check it through and take it now. Should I find a way to stall giving them the seat until the baby is older, knowing that they may FF him as soon as they get it? I'm going to give them the contact info. of a member here who is a tech in their area, and tell them they really need to have her check their install, and hopefully she can talk to them about not FF him now.

What's the best way to handle this?????

ADS

Melanie

If it was me, I'd wait to give them the seat until closer to the new baby's due date. It sounds like they won't buy a new seat when you have one waiting for them. You could even say it's so they don't have to check it on the plane.

I don't know how much shipping the seat would be. Maybe you could split the cost with them?

ZephyrBlue

Thanks for the replies :)

I did send them links to crash test videos, as well as good links that I got from the board info. They can't afford to pay any shipping costs, so that's part of the reason that they want the seat now, I think. I don't understand the mom's urgency to turn him now, but I'm going to try talking to the dad- he just got a 97% on his MCATs and is applying to med school; I think the technical info. about internal decapitation and spinal column development will sway him. Hopefully, anyway.

melniemi

Good luck! Hopefully it goes over well. Seems like some parents just don't care even if they "know":(

Splash

How is that physically possible? Charlie was born in August, conceived at the very end of October, and he was three weeks late...

Six months old and due in August? Are you SURE? God grief, she would have gotten pregnant before her milk even came in... she is going to have barely nine months between them...

I'd give her the seat now. They could either a) use it correctly rear facing, b) use it forward facing, c) decide they want him FF NOW and buy the Century Breverra at the consignment shop for $14. Plus if you give it to them now, you can show them how to install and use it, fit it to him, and hopefully there would be a seat back on the plane for him to ride in.

laurenrachey

if baby 1 was born in October/ turned 6 months in April... I had someone on my birth board that had a march baby and a December 31st baby in 2005 :)

I say talking medical lingo with dad is certainly a good start. If you don't mind shipping it, I would hang on to the seat. Tell them you need it for another month or two. Get them in touch with the tech. Maybe ask (carefully!) why mom is so anxious to turn baby. Who knows it may be some silly reason that you could show her an easier way and solve the problem kwim?

ZephyrBlue

She got pg when baby boy was *4* weeks old; I cannot fathom the act of baby dancing at that stage, let alone pregnancy. Her mom told her that as long as she was breastfeeding, she didn't need to worry about birth control :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm going to talk with them today; they asked about getting the seat right away when we were at church yesterday, (I had told them that we weren't using the seat, which is true, so they know I don't need it- that excuse won't work, unfortunately) so I'm going to try and convince both of them about FF to the seat limits today, and I"m going to try really hard to get them to agree to get a tech to look at the install when they get it in. I figure it's safer than a FF garage sale seat, anyway, and hopefully they'll keep him RF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC