CPA _____My Daughter is 66.8 lb

ADS

courtfrog2

If your DD is under 4 ft 9 inches she still should be in a booster. Boosters are very important because they help position the lap/shoulder belt low enough on her pelvis so that in an accident it won't crush her internal organs.

I have a 9 year old still riding comfortably in a booster seat and he is 54 inches and 67lbs.

I say harness to the max limit (my 8 year old is in a seat that harnesses to 80lbs or 53inch... the Regent) and she still has a year in that hopefully.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Does she pass the 5 step test? If you answer No to any question, then YES she needs a booster.

http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

The 5-Step Test.

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

Susan

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Definitely!
Need for booster is about weight, maturity (#5: "and can REMAIN this way for ENTIRE trip") and also leg length (knees bend at end of seat & feet on the floor to prevent slouching because feet dangle.

Try this with your daughter:

http://www.carseat.org/

In addition:

1) There is research that indicates children are safer in a booster even after they meet the 5 step test because the booster helps prevent submarining (sliding down, even out of the seat belt) and keeps the lap portion of the seat belt OFF of the tummy. This is call "seat belt syndrome" where internal organs are damaged because the restraint (seat belt) was NOT on the hips/thighs.

2) Research also shows high back boosters provide increased protection to the head/neck and in side impact collisions.

3) There are several on this board who still have children in 5 pt harness at 66 lbs. If you give some more stats about your vehicles and daughter (make, year, model of car/height, age and torso height of DD) we can make suggestions about seats/boosters that might work better than others.

Leen

Million thanks for ALL of you for the Valuable information.

One more question:

Could you recommend a Booster for her ? :)

U

Unregistered1

can you give us her height, your price range, and what kind of car you have?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
U

Unregistered1

For you I would probably look at the Graco turbobooster. Some people aren't big fans of it but I like it. Make sure you get one WITH a back, they are safer. Also make sure to read the manual, and when you are buckling your child in to make sure...
shoulder belt guide is right above their shoulders
lap belt is secured under the armrests, where the red pieces are.

If you're willing to spend a little more, the Britax Parkway is nice, and they're on sale right now if you can find them (you can order online a few places)

Leen

My dd's about that size and definitely needs a booster in all cars still :)

Here's what she looks like without one, the belt could moosh her guts up pretty bad (that's the laymen's description of 'seatbelt syndrome')http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/ClekOllis/photo#5192412175963419394
But in a booster, the lapbelt is nice and low on her bony hips and the armrests will keep it that way in a crash http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/ClekOllis/photo#5192412047114400498

Exactly !!! Thank you so much

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC