What needs to be replaced after an accident?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Just a random question. Our old car (the one that was totalled when AJ was 4 mos old) went through several minor accidents in it's lifetime (never buy a bright red car!). We got AJ's seat replaced of course, but had the car been keepable (the airbrags blew so they totalled it) what all would've needed replaced. Obviously the air bags, but I've seen the occupied seatbelts need to be replaced too? Do they normally do that? I'm pretty sure they don't. Anything else? How major of an accident does it need to be to replace the seatbelts and such?

ADS
U

Unregistered

Seatbelts, like carseats, are a one time only thing; so they would of needed replacement.

I've been worried after my crash 3 years ago they didnt replace the seatbelts and I just now realized it might be a possibility. I need to call them and see if the records say they did. It would be the 2 front ones since this was before DS, but we need to be safe too, lol.

Dillipop

Do you use the same 5 questions when deciding if they need to be replaced as with a car seat? Was the car driveable? Did the airbags deploy? Was the door hit nearest the seat? I can't remember the other ones, but would you use the same questions to decide to replace the seat belts? Would you replace the seatbelt that is holding an empty child restraint?

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
if there was damage to any of the fenders the airbag sensors would need to be replaced (The airbags can blow after replacement b/c of a bump in the road if the sensor is faulty or knocked loose)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC