Pay for a Britax replacement seat?

threemonkeys

I was just wondering if anyone has ever run into the problem of having to pay for a replacement seat form Britax. We had problems with our Decathlon so they agreed to replace it but I had to pay $100. After reading through old posts I am wondering if I was the only one who had to pay?

ADS

Lilsid

I had to pay the $100 for a replacement seat. But it was an old MA due to expire in Aug this year. I striped it of the cover straps and the EPS foam. Then I shipped the shell back in the box they sent my new Cowmoo MA in.

I thought $100 for a new MA was not too bad.

emandbri

I mailed my decathlon off last week and should be getting my new MA today or tomorrow. I didn't have to pay $100 but I would have gladly because I feel bad getting a brand new seat for a 3 year old decathlon. Still the decathlon was a PITA and I've always hated it so I should get over it. I'll have to buy a frontier to get over my guilt of getting the replacement marathon. ;)

natysr

I think it is fair to get a pro-rata credit based on the depreciated value of your decathalon toward the purchase of a new seat.

Example:

Decathalon Cost: $285

Divided by 6 years: $47.50 per year

Years of life left on Decathalon: Let's pretend it is only 1 year old: 1

Current Value of seat: $47.50 times 5 = $237.50

Cost of Marathon: $270
Minus current DC value: $237.50

Fair price to pay for brand new replacement seat: $ 32.50

Now, if they let you keep the cover, then it would be fair to pay more that that.

threemonkeys

Thank you for the replies. I do not think it was unfair I was just asking. The Decathlon I have was only 13 months old so I month past the one year warranty. They said that I have to return the everything that came with the seat so I am in the process of trying to find the infant inserts. Thanks again for the replies and have a good day.

emandbri

Pretty sure it has to do with the date the seat was made. When I called they said mine was within a certain date range and they would replace it. Still it does seem very odd for you to have to pay when your seat is newer. Knowing that they read this board I would think they would try to make the replacement policy fair since they know we compare notes!

anna'smommy+1

I had a decathalon that was almost 2 years old. They replaced it with a brand new marathon last week and didn't charge me anything. They also didn't say anything about returning everything with it, though I plan to. I feel kind of guilty about getting the new seat,but was tired of the harness.

Brandi

emandbri

Oh and I didn't return everything because I sold my decathlon cover. It had a denium MA cover on it. She seemed a little annoyed that I didn't have the cover but what was I to do buy a replacement cover in order to return the seat? I also don't need a cover and asked if I could buy a seat without the cover and she said no. I know I have issues. ;)

BW1426

I was thinking about this and it bothers me that they charge you for a replacement seat if something is faulty. I'd gladly pay the $100 to get the extra years of life, but not everyone needs those extra years of life, making it not such a great deal. I also feel bad for those that really had to scrape together the money to buy the seat in the first place. Not that any of us want to spend more money than we have to, but YKWIM.

I don't understand why Britax doesn't revamp the Decatholan or get rid of it. Obviously there is somehting seriously wrong with it because I've been hearing about people having the replaced for a long time now.

emandbri

I don't understand why Britax doesn't revamp the Decathlon or get rid of it. Obviously there is something seriously wrong with it because I've been hearing about people having the replaced for a long time now.

I agree. I don't think the decathlon is creating more sales, if it wasn't out there people would buy the marathon or boulevard. I guess it hasn't yet gotten cost effective for them to drop the seat.

MissAllyLou

I didn't have to pay for my replacement. I sent in a 2 year old DC, and got a brand-new BLVD. I also kept the cover and pillows. They were fine with that. I don't feel guilty, as the whole reason I bought the seat was the extended weight limits, both ff and rf. Not being able to use the seat rf at all was a major pita, and totally not worth it. But, if they had asked me to pay $100 for the BLVD, I would have.

Melanie

They didn't make me pay anything, but my seat was almost new when I starting calling about it.

I think they should be replacing all of the Decaths for no charge because of all of the problems. When other things go wrong, I think they are justified to charge something if the seat is out of warranty.

Is what I actually think is that there should be a regulation that all car seats are under warranty until they expire. I can see not covering for cosmetic things, but if your seat is good for 6 years you should be able to use it for the entire 6 years.

I know that when my Graco seat had a problem out of warranty Graco wouldn't do anything at all.

I'm more inclined to stick with Britax for future seats because of the good customer service I've received.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC