Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: True Fit Review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

True Fit Review

We just got our true fit on tuesday, so here's my initial take.

First some pictures:
    Here it is with the straps in the top slot. You can see the slot below too - Noah can still use it in the 3rd slot, which I was a little surprised about. We just had to move him to the top slot in the marathon.
    *image removed*

Noah with the straps in the 3rd slot:
    *image removed*

It has a cup holder! Mom has not yet attached it!
    *image removed*

Here you can see the harness slots. It's REALLY easy to change the harness height:
    *image removed*

I measure the highest slot height at a little more than 17"
    *image removed*

Having only used it for a few days, I'd say it's a pretty good seat. The fabric is very nice. I like that the cover snaps on, since Noah always pulls the marathon cover off. The harness adjuster is very similar to the marathon, but lower, so the child cannot reach it to loosen it, or at least not as easily as with the marathon.

It's much wider than the marathon - both the seat itself, and the space for the child. I used to be able to fit 3 seats across the middle row of the Sienna, but I'm not sure I'd be able to with the true fit - even without the cupholder on. It sits lower than the marathon also. Noah had no problem climbing into the marathon, so it doesn't really affect him. He said he likes the true fit.

The harness height adjustment is SUPER easy. You pull out the yellow knobs on either side of the back, lift them up or down, then move the straps to the correct slots in the cover. Damn easy. I haven't tried doing it with the seat installed, but I think you could do it.

You cannot remove the cover with the seat installed. It says the cover can be hand washed and air dried - no machine washing or drying. Bummer.

All in all, it's very similar to the marathon. It's easy to see who they were trying to compete with. It has the "nice" latch connectors like the britax seats do, but you can only tighten the latch strap on one side, unlike on both sides w/ britax. The crotch buckle is probably my least favorite part. It's like the old graco buckles (like the one on Noah's old snugride, not like the one on the safeseat) and is harder to undo than the britax buckle. Minor complaint though. Cannot be tethered rear-facing (and specifically states so in the manual). If it's nice this weekend, I'll install it RFing and see how Daniel fits in it (not that it's going to be his seat until Noah outgrows is).

The one annoying thing about it is that the harness is one piece for both sides (if that makes sense). It runs from the yoke to the front and down to by the child's hip, then underneath the seat cushion, and back up the other side from hip to shoulder and back to the yoke. Because of this, occasionally one shoulder strap will be longer than the other. Once you know how to fix it, it's easy enough, but I had to puzzle it over for a few times before I figured out why it was doing it.

So there's my initial take. If my view changes as I use it more, I'll let y'all know!
    Last edited by UlrikeDG; 04-07-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Removed incorrect image coding. -Ulrike
    DS1 - 4/2004
    DS2 - 9/2007

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: True Fit Review

Thanks for the review.

Being that this is a popular seat as of late I thought I would bump it up and see if you have anything to add or possible anyone else cares to review it also!

Thanks again!!

I have my rain check sitting in my wallet and can't decide if I should get it or not.
    Jasmyne

T ~ 7.8yrs ~ 48lbs ~ Skurvy Oobr Booster
    L ~ 4.6yrs ~ 35lbs ~ FF Frontier (harnessed)

I don't know if there is a newer thread than this, but I thought I would at least ad "beware" if you order carseats directly from Learning Curve. I had a 25% off that made it cheaper to go through their site to order. I received the two carseats the week of or before Thanksgiving 2008...the mfg date was FEBRUARY 2008. I was miffed that these seats were already 9 months old before I got them. I sent my comments to the company - they never responded.

We are still RF right now (12+ mo & 21 & 23 lb) without the headrests on.
    We seem to like the seats. The girls seem comfortable in them as well.
    My only complaint is the "front" at the bottom where you tighten the belts. If you are RF and you have that seat really cinched in there, it is very difficult to work with that release lever. It would be nice if it had something to attached the shoulder straps to as you are putting the child in there, but its not that big of a deal.
    Last edited by Jeanum; 05-11-2009 at 09:01 AM. Reason: correcting dates to 2008 from future 2009 date :-)

vball4all-- just thought I'd let you know that if your kiddo is over 22lbs, the headrest MUST be on
    Sunny, a new patrol car, an old raggedy Civic, and:
    J | 10.06 | RSTV2(L)
    M | 07.08 | RSTV2(S)
    K | 07.11 | FN90CT

Do you know why weight plays a role with the headrest? I can understand the height/length, but I can't understand the weight part of it. The only thing we can think of is maybe after you weigh so much, if you were in an accident, you are more likely to move up in your seat (although the straps should be tight)????

Quote Originally Posted by vball4all View Post
    Do you know why weight plays a role with the headrest? I can understand the height/length, but I can't understand the weight part of it. The only thing we can think of is maybe after you weigh so much, if you were in an accident, you are more likely to move up in your seat (although the straps should be tight)????
    This is a very possible answer, as even with the harness tight, the straps are designed to stretch in order to absorb some crash energy and extend the time over which the forces are applied to the child. So the child will move more if they are heavier and this might become an issue. So it may be that they tested with a heavier child and this becomes a possible issue, or only tested the seat for a heavier child with the headrest ON (I am not sure what the available dummy sizes are but they are set sizes) and do not know what the outcome would be if you did not use the headrest. In any case, using it without the headrest at that weight would quite likely put the child at risk.
    Cat in Canada
    DS1 7 yo - 47 lbs (47"/??"t/??"top of head) - boostered in SKMonterey/2TBs/2CowmooPWSG/2HarmonyNBBs
    DS2 4 yo - 34.5 lbs (40"/15"t/??"top of head) - FF in CowmooMA/TrueFit/2Radians/2Nautiluses/HarmonyV7
    Also in possession of: Graco SafeSeat1 and MyRide (loaned out) + 1 demo seat: SnugRide.