Reason to buy a plane seat for an infant!!!

Brendan's Mom

We have always bought seats on plane trips and take our carseats. My husband balked the first time, but quickly has seen the light. We were flying home from Florida Monday and thank goodness both kids were buckled into their seats. We hit MAJOR turbulance. If I was holding our 8 month old he would have gone flying through the cabin and if I was able to keep my hands on him would have hit his head several times on armrests, seats and walls because we were bouncing around like rag dolls. Thanks goodness we had our seats. Our kids thought the entire experience was "fun".

The scariest thing was the lady checking us in tried to get me to give up my infant's seat because the flight was over booked. She was going to give me my money back and was a little perturbed when I said absolutely not. Thank goodness for our seats!!!

ADS

courtfrog2

WOW... thanks for sharing that. We don't travel very often, but if we did, I would definately put them in seats now!

FWIW though... I didn't have the knowledge when my oldest DD was 4 months old and I actually had her as a lap baby :eek: Luckily God was on our side and nothing happened.

aisraeltax

wow...glad you are all OK.

did you see the lady afterwards? i think i would write a letter about that experience..they shouldnt be trying to dissuade parents from using paid seats for their kids. :(

MomToEliEm

I am so glad you were able to keep the seat for your baby. Hopefully no other passengers on the plane were hurt by the turbulence.

Loves2sing

The scariest thing was the lady checking us in tried to get me to give up my infant's seat because the flight was over booked. She was going to give me my money back and was a little perturbed when I said absolutely not. Thank goodness for our seats!!!

Like it is your fault they overbooked the plane? Get lost lady, I PAID for this seat for a reason. I would write a letter about that. It's uncalled for, and it could be considered age discrimination.

I am so glad that everyone is okay, and that you didn't give in to the check in lady!!

Peony

This is the exact reason I just paid $615. for a ticket for DD2, just going to CO to Maine this summer, still in awe that it cost an arm and a leg. DH wasn't too thrilled, but can't put a price on safety!

keri1292

Wow! We had a similar experience and quite frankly, I thought I was going to soil my pants. The flight attendant went flying and landed in the aisle at our feet. Our kids were all safely strapped in. All I could picture was the 8 week old lap baby that had been in front of us on the prior flight. Mom had her laying across her knee. She had a soda in one hand and a book in the other. It would've been B-A-D. :(

The Bjorns

We hit some turbulence last weekend and while it wasn't much, it was certainly enough to make me very glad my girls had seats. My 4 yr old tends to be very apprehensive of new situations and she laughed and said it was like a roller coster.

I thought of you guys and your stories and was so happy I had seats.:thumbsup:

I think that check in person was definitely out of line. Would she have gotten perturbed if she had asked a couple to take different flights and they said no? Gosh, you mean I could've save myself a bunch of money and not bought a seat? Well, shucks! I didn't know that--I LIKE spending more money than I need to. :whistle:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks for sharing. I know a tech on this board who has had a similar experience with air turbulence.

I wonder if they keep track of how many kids are injured by air turbulence? Turbulence is a pretty common thing I'd think, yet we don't hear many stories about it. (Kind of wondering out loud here.)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Wow that's great!

Peony, do I recognise your SN from MDC? After so many people there were ridiculing buying a seat for an infant, this would be great to post.

Last edited:

BW1426

I'm in Northern Michigan and a family I sit for occassionally was flying in with their young baby (I want to say 6 weeks, but maybe a little older) and the plane slid off the runway. Super scary!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC