adding a fourth row seat in a suburban?

U

Unregistered

Does anyone know how safe these are added to a suburban? http://www.littlepassengerseats.com/chevy_suburban_yukon_xl.htm
We have 3 children in car seats and are possibly adding 2 more (1 of those in carseat) and have my neice and nephew often making 7 children, 6 in carseats, needing to ride in my Suburban. We are considering adding one of these but wanted to check the safety first.
Thanks

ADS

skaterbabs

I would say no- the cargo area is designed to absorb impacts, and by putting a seat back there that the manufacterer hasn't tested the passengers on the seat could have serious problems in a crash.

Tara

Yeaaaaah I'm thinkin' bad idea. It would be installed rear facing too wouldn't it? I don't see how else a seat would go back there.
Anywho..not a good idea..let that cargo area absorb the energy in the event of a crash, NOT the children.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
As for safety, you would be dealing with a complete unknown. It could be safe, it could be unsafe. Unfortunately, you are relying on the word of a relatively small and unknown company for the safety of your child. It's also unclear if the motor vehicle standards really apply to aftermarket seats or if the company has the resources to do the same design and testing as a vehicle manufacturer. Basically, your child would be the crash test dummy.

U

Unregistered

Think about it some more...

I am researching the same. Some things I have run across.
* The seat offered is front-facing with three-point belts and head rests. (Deluxe package).
* Chevy markets a Suburban with a fourth row seat in the Phillipines.
* Why would a fourth-row seat in a Yukon XL/Suburban be any less safe than the third-row seat in a Yukon/Tahoe?

Now, whether the other safety issues of a non-mfg seating are addressed by the testing listed on the vendor's website...

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
You can fit 6 carseats in your suburban. If you need to know the configuration, let me know...and I'll give you my rundown of which seat and where it goes! LOL I have a daycare, and have a suburban, so I've had 6 installed before MANY times. And this is also presuming that the one child is old/big enough to sit up front. And while not ideal, there is an option if the oldest is not big enough to ride in front.

Granted, it doesn't solve your solution if your dh was to go with you. I'd probably take 2 cars on the occassion you had everybody and you actually WANT or need to venture out! LOL

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Cars are made with 'crumple zones', areas that are meant to cave in and absorb crash forces during an accident, in SUVs the cargo area is generally one of these areas. Installing a seat in one of these areas is very very dangerous. Some companies plan for the frame to break or come apart to protect occupants in the original seating area, anyone outside of that area would be in defiant danger.

I would never use one of these myself, there is too much riding on their untested engineering IMO. I dont think there is any way they could test the seats themselves in every car they make them for to know are they really safe. If i were you i would look into a larger vehicle or take two cars when you need to take out the whole crew. Even with this seat, thats a lot of ppl crammed in one car (espesically with car seats!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC