Rear Facing, Nothing New!

classicseats

Catalog photos from 1976 and 1983. How about that Safety Shell! Wish I had one of those.

Last edited:
ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That Strolee is top tethered, too :)

The 1976 seats were before there was dynamic (crash testing) standards...1983 was after they were initiated (1981), can you see any difference between the seat designs?

2angels2love

Wow, I remeber my Mom telling me that they got a Bobby Mac for a shower gift for me and she was so happy because it was like the top of the line and they would have never been able to afford it. Haha, makes me feel a little old. :)

Chris920

The Strolee is the seat my sister used (she'll be 32 in June), except the OHS was perfectly round and a strap came over the entire shield in the center and snapped closed. Notice that it appears there are different belt paths for FF upright and FF reclined. We only used the one the one shown for FF recline. If it was in the upright position and you came to a sudden stop, it would abruptly recline itself. I used that seat for my first child, 9 years later. I had no idea about expiration dates.

I used two different Dynomites with my first 6 children. I was so bummed when they discontinued that seat!

New grandma

Thought of posting these a while ago when I saw an oldies post. These are my two oldest sons, now 29 and 31. They look scary, but most cars didn't have seat belts! Check out the seat next to my son- his friend's seat just hooks over the back of the vehicle seat. Also note the homemade added seat pads that I sewed to make them less sweaty. Oh how things have changed! Even worse, I was considered a kook for making the kids use them and for making everyone in the car buckle up. P.S. The reclined seat is on the floor waiting to be installed-yes I did carry him in it!

Last edited:

classicseats

Thought of posting these a while ago when I saw an oldies post. These are my two oldest sons, now 29 and 31. They look scary, but most cars didn't have seat belts! Check out the seat next to my son- his friend's seat just hooks over the back of the vehicle seat. Also note the homemade added seat pads that I sewed to make them less sweaty. Oh how things have changed! Even worse, I was considered a kook for making the kids use them and for making everyone in the car buckle up.

Awesome photos! Thanks for posting them.

I rode around in that Bobby Mac seat until I was about 3... when I could unhook it myself! :eek:

I came home from the hospital in it, a 5 lb 9 oz baby... I was tiny.

Auntie2Avi

Those are awesome! I love how the middle pic, the 3rd carseat info down says about 20-60 Look at how much things have changed, I wonder what kids will be saying in 30 years, "I can't believe they didn't know about..."

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
My older brother had that Strollee! There's a pic of him somewhere coming home from the hospital in it--bundled in a blanket facing forward with his head flopped onto the shield.

Neatfreak

Awesome! My first seat (in 1976) was a GM Infant Love ...

At first glance I thought that some of those seats had 5 pt harnesses, and then I realized that what I'm looking at is the vehicle lap belt strapped over the front of the entire seat ...

Misty-Bug

oh my!! I don't know how you find this stuff. LOL. I have a picture of me coming home from the hospital in 1979 (yeah now you know my age) and I was in this bucket thing. It was so weird looking. I would post it but you only see a bit of the car seat.

carseatcrazy

I came home in the G.M love seat, the hospital had them available for rent, my brother had one in '83 and my cousins used them in '87 and '88

Brandy
tech in Nova Scotia

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I just noticed that GM Love infant seat. We (not me, one of the other techs) "confiscated" one of these at a seat check event last month! It was still in use! :eek: Jean and I were shocked to see it.

oldcenturyseat2.jpg

oldcenturyseat1.jpg

classicseats

I just noticed that GM Love infant seat. We (not me, one of the other techs) "confiscated" one of these at a seat check event last month! It was still in use! :eek: Jean and I were shocked to see it.

oldcenturyseat2.jpg

oldcenturyseat1.jpg

I don't have one of those in the collection as common as they were!

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I don't have one of those in the collection as common as they were!

I should have tried to snag it for you! The harness had already been cut by that time (we do that to all confiscated seats) but it was otherwise in incredibly good shape, if I remember correctly.

classicseats

I should have tried to snag it for you! The harness had already been cut by that time (we do that to all confiscated seats) but it was otherwise in incredibly good shape, if I remember correctly.

Awww! I thought you still had it. I trashed a few over the years but never kept one? I think I have the vinyl cover for one somewhere.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC