What happens during a seat check in your area?

grumpybear

Just curious as I've been reading a lot of techs mention that the parents are supposed to install the carseat themselves during a seat check.

I've had our seats checked 3x between 2 firestations in our area (2 different cities). The first time was for our infant/bucket seat. The last 2 was for our Radian.

The first two times I had them checked they just checked the stability of the installation (rock the seat and look for displacement) and pretty much sent me on my way after finding it acceptable (I did fill out some paperwork though).

The third time I had some questions regarding the slight tilt in carseat and the tech uninstalled it and re-installed it for me and sent me on my way.

I wonder how it is in other areas as our techs here seem to be pretty complacent about carseat checks.

Case in point was that when we had our bucket checked, they were all praises for how good the installation was only for me to find out a year later that we installed it all wrong as I was using center LATCH on a vehicle that did not allow for that.

Then the last time I had our Radian checked the installation was very shoddy (had another thread about this).

What do proper carseat checks look like?

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Well, when I do a check, the first thing I do is hand the parent the paperwork and introduce myself. I have them fill out the paperwork while I peek at the children- harness tightness, chest clip placement, harness strap location. Then after they have signed the form I have them take the child out and I check the seat for movement and check LATCH or belt routing, locking mechanism, etc. Then I take the seat out, check it all out looking for signs of wear, routing of straps, condition of stickers, etc. I get the model number and DOM and check for recalls. While I'm doing all of this I talk about ERF or EH, what needs to be changed, limits of seat, projectiles, etc etc. After I'm all done I talk with the parent about how to install (if it was done perfectly I just have them re-install) and have them do it while I talk about movement at the belt path, lockoffs, locking the belt, etc. Then I have them put the kiddo in, and I talk about harness height and tightness, chest clip placement, when the seat is outgrown, etc. I talk alot ;) Then I finish filling out the form, ask the parent if they have any questions, have them initial the form, and thank them for coming.

ETA: I always always always take the seat out. I don't know how many times I have seen a seat with what looks to be a flawless install only to turn the seat over and find the harness routed improperly. And you can't get the model number and DOM and check for recalls without removing seats (on most anyway).

grumpybear

An_Aurora, wow. That is pretty comprehensive. So what you do, is that how it is taught when you do your certification training? I wonder why it isn't the same here. Do trainings have a standard curriculum or do they vary state by state?
How long does each check usually take?
I mean, it's not like the carseat checks here are pressed for time because actually very few people come to these events and we're not exactly highly populated either.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
No, we weren't really taught how to do checks in my cert class. I mean, they taught us how to do checks but never told us how to talk to parents or what to say. The curriculum is nationwide, so all the classes have the same material, but individual instructors can add alot (or not) to that. Each seat probably takes 15-20 minutes, more or less. Some seats are quick and easy while others can take much more if there is a problem installing the seat. We had a truck the other day that took probably half an hour and 4 techs because it was a difficult situation. Oh, and we aren't exactly pressed for time either, unfortunately. During the winter especially, we don't get much traffic.

BabyKaykes

The seat checks I have been to are like Anna's. They are given by CHP. I was actually very impressed by both checks I've been to. They were very thourough in the info they took in and gave out.

The 1st check the techs/officers said I was the only one who'd been in that day with a correct/solid install and oerfect use. When I told them I installed it myself they took it out and told me to prove it, lol. They were also impressed with the ERF.

The 2nd one I 'played dumb'. I said my DH installed the seat outboard and could they please move it to the center for me with LATCH because it was safer. They said I had to install the seat myself and that I must use the seatbelt. When I told them DS looked unsafe RF and that I wanted him FF, they explained how much safer RF was, but said it was my choice.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Well, when I do a check, the first thing I do is hand the parent the paperwork and introduce myself. I have them fill out the paperwork while I peek at the children- harness tightness, chest clip placement, harness strap location. Then after they have signed the form I have them take the child out and I check the seat for movement and check LATCH or belt routing, locking mechanism, etc. Then I take the seat out, check it all out looking for signs of wear, routing of straps, condition of stickers, etc. I get the model number and DOM and check for recalls. While I'm doing all of this I talk about ERF or EH, what needs to be changed, limits of seat, projectiles, etc etc. After I'm all done I talk with the parent about how to install (if it was done perfectly I just have them re-install) and have them do it while I talk about movement at the belt path, lockoffs, locking the belt, etc. Then I have them put the kiddo in, and I talk about harness height and tightness, chest clip placement, when the seat is outgrown, etc. I talk alot ;) Then I finish filling out the form, ask the parent if they have any questions, have them initial the form, and thank them for coming.

ETA: I always always always take the seat out. I don't know how many times I have seen a seat with what looks to be a flawless install only to turn the seat over and find the harness routed improperly. And you can't get the model number and DOM and check for recalls without removing seats (on most anyway).

This is almost exactly what I do as well. Other than if the parents came in with a perfect installation and I'm the one pulling it out to check for a sticker or something I just put it back for them. They've proven they know what's going on. So obviously, that rarely happens. hehe I also install for pregnant women, and right now I have one woman running around with my installation on her Regent because she wasn't certain if she was keeping it and they were going on a trip, yada yada. So she's not moving it until we meet up again and I teach her how (it was a BEAR). I think I'm getting paid in banana bread, too. LOL

I prefer private checks to public ones so that I have time to go through all of this. On a private check I'm usually about an hour. Sometimes two. In addition to everything above I also chat about travel, if they have pets, projectiles, and if I'm really good and remember I talk about car safety (keeping your tires in check, making sure your car is in good working order).

I occasionally have some private checks that are 20 minutes or so (I think that's the shortest I've done) because of time constraints, or it's a mom who I've spoken to online and has been educated, but just can't figure out her seat. Or has it nearly perfect and just has a question. But on average I'm about an hour.

With public checks if I get 20 minutes I'm lucky, and usually I'm just talking constantly while I'm checking the seat and the parent is reinstalling it. That way I can get in what I need to say.

Wendy

grumpybear

I'm really envious of how you do things wherever you're at.
wendytthomas, do you charge for private checks? If you don't mind me asking, how much does it usually cost for a private check (I don't think I can pay with banana bread as I am an awful cook/baker:p)?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
hehe I don't charge anything. Mostly because I think it's a service that should be free (like the hours I spend here every week. LOL). Partly because if I did then I'd be a "professional" and I'd have to carry insurance and we've been quoted anything from $200 to $1500 a year, and I couldn't bring that much in. Well, I wouldn't want to bring that much in. I'm completely volunteer. So getting a banana bread is a big deal. LOL I had someone pay my gas once when I drove 90 minutes each way to check out her sister's and a friend's seats. I've had people buy me lunch. But no payment. If someone sticks money in my pocket (I've had it happen) I turn around and donate it to SafeKids.

Wendy

BookMama

Senior Community Member

This is what I do except that I install the seat myself before I have the parent install it. It only adds a few minutes to the check, usually. That way I know whatever tricks are needed for a good install and can tell them just what to do. It's just less confusing for the parent, especially because at the seat check events I do, nearly everyone is getting a new seat, so they're not familiar with the seat.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
We were taught in our cert class that the parent should always be the last person to touch the seat and that they should definitely be installing the seat. If mom is pg they can help if possible and they should be able to walk you through how to install the seat if they are physically incapable of installing.

The checks I have been to have all been similar to what everyone else is saying. They take time. I often wonder if parents are expecting that when they come in. I wonder if they think we are going to "install" their seat and it's going to be quick and done fast! If so, they are disappointed!

BookMama

Senior Community Member
The checks I have been to have all been similar to what everyone else is saying. They take time. I often wonder if parents are expecting that when they come in. I wonder if they think we are going to "install" their seat and it's going to be quick and done fast! If so, they are disappointed!

In my experience, at least at seat check events, they do NOT expect it to take as long as it does. I've had parents come in with three seats/kids, which usually takes 45-60 minutes. After a while, even the best behaved kids start to lose it and the parents start to "check out." I'm actually trying to get some fliers approved by my program coordinator so that our parents can remember the important info we tell them, even if they have three different kinds of seats and are mentally "checked out" after a while.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
In my area mostly PDs are the ones with CPSTs. I work for a local PD, I am not a police officer and not a CPST but part of my job is making the car seat check appointments and supporting the 2 officers who are CPSTs. I came into the job with a significant amount of car seat knowledge and soon realized that I knew ALOT more about car seats in general then the 2 CPSTs I work for. They readily admit this...it's not their primary job and they're not particularly passionate about it. So how we work it is this; I take all the calls regarding car seats. I screen the callers asking about the ages/weights/heights for the kids, the seats they have (or are considering purchasing), do the ERF and HWH education, ask about seat expiration, educate about used seats, tethering, placement in vehicle...you name it we talk about it. What the CPSTs do? Install the seat, have parents fill out the SK form. They ask me to give 15 mins for each appt.

They are pushing hard for me to be certified but their own union is blocking it and my union could care less. So for now, that's how we do it.

grumpybear

Is it possible that the person checking one's carseat in a carseat check NOT be a CPST?
I ask because after the last check, I decided to find other CPST's in our area and did not find his name on the list. I also checked the 3 neighboring cities and he still wasn't on it.
Also, I remember a cop friend of ours telling us that he's a certified tech but he's not on the list either.
I search on this website,
http://www.safekids.org/certification/about.html

Is it possible for a CPST to be not listed on the above site?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
CPSTs have the option of not having their name publicly listed on the Safe Kids website, and thus it's possible to be currently certified, but not listed there.

ZephyrBlue

I've only been to 1 seat check (it was located at a firestation). I drove in, the techs (there were 2 of them working on my seats) wrote down the info about my vehicle and the seats, they un-installed everything to check model numbers, etc.

They checked my installs and couldn't find any faults- but did tell me that my 21lb 2yo should not be RF in her Wizard because her legs were too long, and that the Husky was "overkill" for my 30-something lb 4yo- that she should be in a booster.

Then they re-installed all my seats for me, but refused to tether my Wizard RF because they said that no seats could be tethered in RF mode, despite what my WZ manual said. The WZ moved more than 1" when they installed it. I had it in rock-solid. I drove about 1 block away, got out and reinstalled the WZ and retethered it. I haven't been to a seat-check since. That was over 3 years ago.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor

I also do pretty much the same. Every caregiver is different. After the initial paper work, explaining the seat belt types, explaining how a car seat needs to be installed and reviewing the manuals if they have them I ask if they would like to try to install the car seat themselves or if they want me to show them 1st.

Definately alway take seats out. I know someone who came across a infant seat from 1997 thta looked brand new. It was nearly 10 yo at that time.

Mommy2Marcus

I have only had one of my seats checked! I had my Marathon checked this past week & was kind of dissapointed in the tech. He & also another told me several things that were wrong. They told me that tethering RF was dangerous and should NEVER be done even though my seat allowed it, they installed my MA RF for my 18 month old WAY to reclined when I had it way more upright, they also told me that my seat could not touch the front seats, & they installed it last without asking me to install it. I think the reason he installed it was b/c my son was clinging to me, but still my DH was with me so he could have held him. I was & am VERY dissapointed in my seat check experience. I also reinstalled my seat in a more upright position!

I plan to have my other 2 seats checked sometime in the near future with a different tech. I am hoping that I have a better experience. The good thing about the check with my MA was that they were informed about ERF, so they didn't even bat an eye at my RF 18 month old. They also didn't tell me that it was dangerous for his legs to touch!

All in all it was not a horrible experience, but I wish it would have been better. They were VERY impressed with all I knew though!

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
Yeah - I think there's a big difference beteween people like us who truly are passionate about it, want to learn so much about CPS to teach others, and people who are basically forced to become certified and do seat checks as part of their job. Not that they're intentionally giving misinformation and doing bunkified seat checks - it's all they know. So many people don't take CPS as seriously as they should, and unfortunately, some of these people are techs, because they have to be. :twocents:

I am in no way saying that someone who has to be certified as part of their job can't be an awesome tech who truly is passionate about it though.

BW1426

Yeah - I think there's a big difference beteween people like us who truly are passionate about it, want to learn so much about CPS to teach others, and people who are basically forced to become certified and do seat checks as part of their job. Not that they're intentionally giving misinformation and doing bunkified seat checks - it's all they know. So many people don't take CPS as seriously as they should, and unfortunately, some of these people are techs, because they have to be. :twocents:

I am in no way saying that someone who has to be certified as part of their job can't be an awesome tech who truly is passionate about it though.

I agree. I was just told by one of our top CPST's in the area that I was more knowledgeable and much more passionate about this than our area techs (there aren't that many (maybe a half dozen within a 50 mile radius), this is a teeny tiny area). That's sad to me and makes me want to become certified even more. If they're not passionate about what they're doing, how on earth are they supposed to make the parent passionate? :twocents:

myliljunebugs

The only check I have been to I had a RF MA for my 22lb 18 mo and a Regent for my 45 lb 4.5 yo. She did what Wendy does and then asked me why I'm not a tech :p She did ask if I wanted help with learning how to install the MA FF and I told her I had previously used it for my son that way and had no problems, but I might come back when she was FF. She was surprised that I wasn't going to switch it that day but I just told her I was going to RF to the limits of the seat and she just grinned. She did help me learn some great ways of getting different reclines for the MA in my car which was so cool! The tech I went to I made an appt with at the hospital that I now work at. I know they do clinics but I just made an appt so that I wouldn't have to wait with antsy kids for.ev.er. LOL Although in my area I don't imagine the wait would have been long, so little car seat knowledge/care around here.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC