Another True Fit Problem

dhardawa

Emily is about 49 inches and 47 lbs. She has about an inch left to grow in the True Fit. BUT, the harness is tight and there is no way to loosen it any more. It was tight to the point where she complained that it was pinching her shoulders (and this is the kid who would snug her seat up TIGHT). She is a very skinny kid. I'd be interested to see how they expect a kid Emily's height with an additional 5 lbs on him/her to get into the seat.

EmilyinTrueFit.jpg

EmilyinTrueFitClose.jpg

AdjusterStrap.jpg

ADS

firemomof3

That is strange! My daughter's friend sat in the seat today and I snapped a picture and she is almost exactly the same size as your daughter! It was snug but not tight? :confused:
LaurainCompass001-1.jpg

dhardawa

Was there any extra so that the harenss could have been made looser? It was very snug on Emily and I couldn't have gotten another 1/4 inch of slack. My concern isn't so much for her (since she won't be using the seat anyway), but how a heavier child would be able to fit with the harness that short.

firemomof3

Right, very good point!! Since one of the huge advantages to this seat is that its wide...hence bigger kids. Um, there was some extra but I don't remember how much? I have a huge playgroup coming over Thursday I'll see if I can get some of the bigger kids to sit in it. You do bring up a important concern!

scatterbunny

Dana, another issue to let Compass know about! :thumbsup: Didn't the Apex come with a too-short harness strap at first? I remember the floor model I tried H in when she was 49 inches and 48-49 pounds was almost all the way used up, no adjuster strap left to tug, yet she still had a bit of harness height room and was obviously still well under the weight limit.

4boysmom

mine is due tommorow. I have a 6.5 yo who weighs over 50 pounds and is on the last slot of the nauti. I will see how bulky he is in the seat. I hope it is not that the sporty blue somehow has longer straps (in another thread it shows that the padding, head support is slightly differnt) we too ordered the misty morning.

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
At least the harness is replaceable. Unlike the Radian :rolleyes: . I'd definitely call them about it.

dhardawa

Dana, another issue to let Compass know about! :thumbsup: Didn't the Apex come with a too-short harness strap at first? I remember the floor model I tried H in when she was 49 inches and 48-49 pounds was almost all the way used up, no adjuster strap left to tug, yet she still had a bit of harness height room and was obviously still well under the weight limit.

I definitely will. I asked them about the other things, but haven't heard back. Overall, I really like the seat and Emily told me it was very comfortable, but this problem could be a show stopper when it comes to me recommending it. It does no good to be a high weight seat if you can't get a high weight kid under the harness.

solmama

I also think the harness could be a problem. I sat my 44", 42lb dd in it (she has about 1-1.5" left to the top slot) and the adjuster didn't have much slack left. Hmm...good thing my ds is skinny. But, what good does it do to have a seat that goes to 65lbs when the harness does not?

ckscruz

I put my 9 year old in our true fit and there is NO WAY she could ride in it. She is 50" and 55lbs. Her shoulders were just below the top slots but, I could not buckle the harness. She is a very thin kid, so there is no way a kid could make it to 65lb in this seat.:thumbsdown:

dhardawa

I put my 9 year old in our true fit and there is NO WAY she could ride in it. She is 50" and 55lbs. Her shoulders were just below the top slots but, I could not buckle the harness. She is a very thin kid, so there is no way a kid could make it to 65lb in this seat.:thumbsdown:

We REALLY need to complain to The First Years. They are going to have to come out with a fix for this.

solmama

I sent them an email, we'll see if they respond. I really like this seat and hope they can find a solution that works for everyone. Let them know, if you can, by phone or email. Hopefully they'll catch on.

firemomof3

I went out today and the kids sat in their new seats!! BUT my son's head has NO support when he sleeps and it was just terrible :hitselfonhead: It falls to the side and it looks dreadful. Any suggestions? He was in the Britax Wizard and that cradled his sleeping head beautifully!

tl01

I went out today and the kids sat in their new seats!! BUT my son's head has NO support when he sleeps and it was just terrible :hitselfonhead: It falls to the side and it looks dreadful. Any suggestions? He was in the Britax Wizard and that cradled his sleeping head beautifully!

DS's head falls to the side in his True Fit as well; however, it sure does bobble a whole lot less than in our Blvd. In the Blvd. his head was all over place and hanging down toward the harness most of the time. From what I understand, this is more disturbing to their sleep b/c it can affect their windpipe. In this seat his head either goes to the side or just lays back depending upon our recline amount. For us, it seems as though he is more comfy in this seat. I think the problem is that we all want seats with more width for kids with wider shoulders and when the seats aren't as wide.... as in the Como then the kids get crowded out at the top. I guess it seems as though the seat manufacturers are not going to be able to make a perfect seat for every kid... KWIM. Did you kids say the seat is uncomfortable when they are sleeping?

DS actually puts his hands back behind his head b/c the seat is so wide and this is more how he prefers to sleep when he's on in his seat.

firemomof3

Well, my 11mo. son just cries now when he's trying to fall asleep in the True Fit. I so wanted it to work but there are just too many issues coming up...so I'm selling it :( So far for my 2y/o daughter it seems to be working out great and she is such a tiny little thing that I doubt the harness length will affect her. And, she stuffs her blankie next to her head and sleeps just fine with the True Fit.

scatterbunny

firemom, this might seem like an obvious question, but did you make sure it was at a good angle for your 11mo? What seat is he moving from? If it's very different, he might just need some time to get used to it.

firemomof3

I did try to recline the seat even more so than before but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Here is a picture of him just as he's waking up:
merricsleeping002.jpg

scatterbunny

Hmm, to me it almost looks like he's trying to hold his head UP, as if he wants to be more upright. But maybe not. :p I can't tell much about the angle without a straight picture taken from the side.

firemomof3

Ya, the little bugger just woke up as I was trying to snap a picture of the way he was sleeping. So, he's just lifting his head from it being at like a 90 degree angle. It was just so horrible. I thing what is happening is he is just swimming in this seat right now. He is too big to use the padding but yet too small to fill the seat out properly. I dont know?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC