4 YO Nephew STILL in LBB!

Mommy2Marcus

I am so frustrated & upset! I talked to my MIL about reharnessing my 4 yo nephew, gave her information & she ignored me. She said he was perfectly safe in his LBB, but he is NOT. He does not sit properly in it, falls asleep & anything else you can imagine. SHE buckles him in & puts the shoulder strap behind him....GRRRRR. He also allowed to sit in the front seat this way with an airbag. I am SO concerned for his safety! We will be moving down there soon & we will be buying a HBB for our car for when he rides with us. There MAYBE some hope though, b/c ALL week while we were there he kept saying he wanted a seat like Marcus! He also wanted to ride RF to...Hehe....but he is TO big for that! Sorry, but I am SO frustrated with this! I so wish she would have listened to me!

She also told me is was unsafe & dangerous for Marcus to still be riding RF! I said, actually it is not dangerous or unsafe...it is SAFER! She just gave me a whatever look & didn't say anything else!

ADS

Heather98012

Does your MIL have custody of your nephew? <Sigh> It's so hard for our parents to get the safety thing, when many of us didn't even ride in car seats (& if we did, they were a joke!).

Mommy2Marcus

No my MIL does not have legal custody of my nephew, but he lives with her & my FIL. His father, my BIL, is in jail again & his mother we are pretty sure is on drugs, so they have him full time. I do wish she would have listened to me, but I was pretty sure she would blow me off. Sigh!

thepote

Oh man, so sorry you have to witness that. I hope they don't get into an accident. :(

My nephew at 4 was in a crappy HBB at 30lbs, and the 6yo was in a LBB at 40lbs... I did manage to convince my brother to re-harness the 4yo in a Como and the 6yo got a Parkway. I don't know what I'd do if they wouldn't have listened to best practices, though :(

U

Unregistered

What is a LBB and HBB? Forgive the ignorance here... :)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Both acronyms refer to belt positioning booster seats. HBB is a highback booster and LBB stands for lowback booster which really is a backless booster seat to be precise. And it's not a silly question at all. :)

fyrfightermomma

Maybe instead of focusing on trying to get your nephew back into a harnessed seat (which seems like a huge change) you could try instead to get him into a HBB with good side support and head support.

Maybe your MIL wouldn't see it as such a huge change and he would be slightly safer as the side wings and head wings can offer some SIP and keep him more in position.

Maybe once they get used to that, you could slowly work your magic and try to talk them into a harnessed seat.

Its just that going from a no back booster to a harnessed seat is such a dramatic change and one most people not concerned about carseat safety are willing to take

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I agree that sound like htere is no way she is going ot agree to a harness. If the harness is a losing battle, try for a hbb OR at least try for correct use of the lbb. Putting the shoulder portion of the belt behind his head just turns the seat into a lap only belt. Not pretty in an accident. My guess is they are putting the shoulder belt behind his back b/c it doesn't fit him right and it's bothering him. Tell her that the hbb would position it correctly and be so much more comfy for him, esp if he sleeps! If not, get the belt positioner for the lbb. It will get the shoulder portion in the right place.

I know it's so hard dealing with family when they won't listen. Very very frustrating, esp when you know how dangerous it is to have a child in a lbb with the shoulder belt behind his back!!!

fyrfightermomma

Also, if you can't change their minds, see if they having locking retractors on their seatbelts where you pull the belt all the way out and it "clicks" back in and locks the seatbelt. Place the belt correctly on him and then lock it and hopefully that will reduce his movement

Wineaux

At the very least show her "Twinky Physics" for the behind the shoulder belt situation. Just make an OK sign with a Twinky in the O. Now squeeze your thumb and first finger together. See how the goo comes out of the Twinky? That's what will happen to your nephew's internal organs in a crash with him riding like that. Simple, to the point, and you get to eat your demonstration materials afterwards.

Mama!

At the very least show her "Twinky Physics" for the behind the shoulder belt situation. Just make an OK sign with a Twinky in the O. Now squeeze your thumb and first finger together. See how the goo comes out of the Twinky? That's what will happen to your nephew's internal organs in a crash with him riding like that. Simple, to the point, and you get to eat your demonstration materials afterwards.

I need video of this.:whistle:

Wineaux

You just squeeze a Twinky till is squishes. Your finger is the belt going to the kiddos backbone, which is your thumb. There is nothing that's going to stop a lap belt that is riding too high on a child from pushing as far back as it can while squishing everything that gets in its way.

Mama!

You just squeeze a Twinky till is squishes. Your finger is the belt going to the kiddos backbone, which is your thumb. There is nothing that's going to stop a lap belt that is riding too high on a child from pushing as far back as it can while squishing everything that gets in its way.

Ah there you go. Now I can picture it.

(sorry, I'm a visual learner :eek: )

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC