RF discussion on CBS Early Show

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
It's 8:09 eastern time and they just did a teaser blurb about when is your baby older enough to face forward in the car. I'll let you know what they say and if there are any links. Turn it on if you can!

Susan

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
OMG---he's the editor of a parenting mag and he just said 1 year old OR 20 pounds!!!! How old is that info, like 20 years old???? He started off good saying that we would all be safer if rode rear facing.

I can't find a link....should we all start an email campaign???

Susan

groovymom2000

Here' the link to the show....there is a way to email CBS and complain, or make a

comment.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/16/earlyshow/living/parenting/main1210157.shtml

Doesn't the AAP recommend now that you rear-face until the limits of the seat?
:mad:

Actually, I just watched the video clip and he did say 1 year OR 20 lbs. I emailed them to complain, and included the AAP recommendations as well. Probably won't do much, but at least I felt better!

Last edited:

my3girls

I sent them an email! Everyone should! MAYBE if they get enough replies on the topic they will consider stating it on the air and even a few children could be given a better chance.

skaterbabs

well, some improvement..

they changed it to "and", but it's still not great....empansis mine. :mad:

" Lerman says it is a question of strength and a child should be one year and at least 20 pounds in weight before he or she sits face forward in a car seat."

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
What's the email address for them??? I think we should all start emailing to get them to have Dr. Emily tell things the right way!!! Maybe even have a TECH on the show when you know it's time to FF.

Susan

groovymom2000

The text version does state "and", but on the video clip he clearly states "or"

and that, along with the "question of strength", leads me to believe that he means "or" instead of "and". (and I hope that no one got lost there...)Of course, how is any parent to measure the strength of their child's neck? Many of us think our kids are strong---I know that I did, but I never would consider putting my child FF before 20 lbs and a year. I wish, wish, wish, that every new parent could see what happens in a crash test, along with a detailed description of what happens to a child's spine. There would be far fewer kiddos FF early.

groovymom2000

Susan--if you go to the bottom of the page, there is a link that says "contact us"

You choose the show you want to comment on, then fill out the form. Let them know!

skaterbabs

groovymom2000 said:
and that, along with the "question of strength", leads me to believe that he means "or" instead of "and". (and I hope that no one got lost there...)Of course, how is any parent to measure the strength of their child's neck? Many of us think our kids are strong---I know that I did, but I never would consider putting my child FF before 20 lbs and a year. I wish, wish, wish, that every new parent could see what happens in a crash test, along with a detailed description of what happens to a child's spine. There would be far fewer kiddos FF early.

I think you're right. :(

M

missyprissy82

I emailed too... Dh laughed at me, said it wasn't going to do any good, but it's people like this who keep the death/injury rates so high for car accidents. I phrased it a little meaner, but that's pretty much what I said in my email to them. I also said that next time, they should get an expert who actually knows something about babies. I didn't back anything up with links (I figure someone else linked to the articles about extended rear-facing and AAP, so I didn't have to.)

I'm going to write to Parenting mag too. This guy should really know better. Overall, I'm very disappointed with both CBS and Parenting mag.

Melissa

M

missyprissy82

I just went to parenting.com, and they had a similar article (http://www.parenting.com/parenting/baby/article/0,19840,1145529_3,00.html?), but with a different person answering the questions... they did slightly better here...

"Is my baby ready to…"

…face front in a car seat?
When it comes time to turn your baby around in the car, which is more important: her weight or her age?
What you need to know Both are equally important: A child should remain rear-facing until she's at least 20 pounds and 1 year old, say experts. Dr. Shu goes even further and recommends keeping your child facing the back as long as she can stand it. "If we all could travel facing backward, we'd be safer. As soon as you face the front, the chance of whiplash goes way up," she says.
But what about kids who pitch a fit because they can't see you? Dr. Brown, mom of a 10- and a 7-year-old, says she's been there. "We flipped my daughter around when she was nearly twelve months old, but she was over twenty pounds at that point. I thought it was actually safer that way — otherwise, I worried I was going to get in a crash, what with all of the turning around I was doing to quiet her down. But I still tell all my patients to wait!"

I sent them an email stating: "I am very disappointed with the information Josh Lerman gave on the CBS Early Show. He very clearly stated that children should rear-face until 1 yr OR 20 lbs. This information is NOT correct. The AAP says "... it is best for him to ride rear-facing until he reaches the highest weight and height limits allowed by the car safety seat." 1 yr AND 20 lbs (not OR, as was stated during the show) is the absolute minimum. As more people keep their babies rear-facing until the 30-35 lbs allowed by the seat, the less injuries & death will result from car accidents. I would expect more from Parenting magazine. I will be anxiously awaiting an article in your magazine on the extensive benefits of extended rear-facing. Thank you for your time."

According to their website, I'll get a response in 2 days. Let's see.

Melissa

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Here's what I sent:

I believe that you did a huge disservice to parents in your “Perfect Parenting” series that aired on January 16, 2006. If you are going to tell parents the best things to do for their children, don't you believe that you should provide them with up to date and correct information?

In that segment, the senior Editor of Parenting magazine stated that babies can stop rear facing in the car at 20 pounds OR one year of age. This information is probably 20 years old. He did start well saying that we would all benefit if we could ride rear facing.

Current recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics say that children should remain rear facing until the limits of the seats. I do not think that the editor of a magazine has any business giving parents information that CLEARLY goes against the AAP. Rear facing past one year is so important that it is not uncommon for some European countries to REQUIRE that children rear face until 3 or 4 years of age.

In order to make up for a mistake that could put MILLIONS of children (I am sure many parents view your show every day) in harms way, you should do a segment with Dr. Emily and perhaps a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician. This segment should include current information from the AAP, various seats and the hows/whys of Rear Facing.

To begin your research to do a correct segment, I suggest you visit www.cpsafey.com and then www.car-seat.org.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to a better researched peice in the very near future.

Susan Angell
Child Passenger Safety Advocate

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC