Tricked by EFTA - vent

RJB78

CPST Instructor
I bought the seat last November (before the Nautilus came out) because I needed a secondary seat for my 4 1/2 (at the time) year old, ~44 lbs. At the time, it looked like she had about 2 inches left (see photo below).

DSC03406.jpg

It's been in dh's car, so I haven't been seeing how she was fitting these days until I drove his car this weekend. Her shoulders are even with the top-most position of the sliding harness! I was like, 2 inches of torso growth in 6 months???

I finally realized that the harness slots are cut slightly higher than the top-most harness position. Also, the harness does not slide all the way up. In its top-most position, it is still not at the top, kwim? Does anyone else have this problem?

So what I thought was 2 inches of grow room was not. LUCKILY, I still need the seat for my 2 1/2 year old (who I also noticed today has outgrown the AO by height - shocker there :rolleyes:).

Maybe I should have checked more carefully by sliding the harness all the way up before I bought it. It doesn't matter whose fault it is, but dh sure isn't happy that he was told to pick up a Nautilus on the way home tonight, considering I just bought a seat 6 months ago that was supposed to last a year....oh well.

ADS

Yoshi

We had an EFTA and I also noticed the optical illusion- but I noticed it the day we first tried it because I measured and posted pics. Visually, it is somewhat misleading because the cover slit and the slit in the foam are higher than the actual stopping point or the harness mechanism, you are correct. But, your DD would still fit in that picture, as long as she is not "over" as you know. Mine is with my friend now as a spare seat in her DH's car, since he can use it for either child (3 yr old and 4 yr old) easily. i did get a 17" measurement, so DD still fit at 4.5, but I got the Nautilus also.

RJB78

CPST Instructor
Okay, good, at least I know I'm not crazy (or my seat's not defective)! :p The picture is from November. She's even with the top slots now. She technically still fits, but since little sis needed the seat anyway, we went ahead and got the Nautilus. She'll be 5 next week.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Mine looks like it goes all the way to the top - it is the top of the slits in the cover, although there is a bit of the actual slit in the shell itself up above the cover, so that's why it looks like that.

Here's a pic of mine - the tape measure looks crooked, it's more how I was holding the camera though. Pressing down lightly and holding the tape measure straight I was getting right about 17.5".

2389160262_fbef387f72.jpg

The harness at the top position:
2388329465_4549d5a3f9.jpg

The Bjorns

We just got ours and I was having a heck of a time getting the tabs to go up. I got them to go up pretty high and then gave up getting them to raise up to the top of the seat slot and figured they made the slots longer than the path for some reason. Now I'm going to really give a going over to try to get it al the way up. I think our DOM is April 7, 2008.

I sure appreciate the pictures!

thepote

Oh wow - I didn't even realize that... I'll have to try DS2 (age 4) in the EFTA in DHs car and see how much room he actually has left.

thanks for the heads up ;)

RJB78

CPST Instructor
Thanks for sharing your pictures everyone! I took my own tonight.

It's for sure not letting me pull it up past 16 inches. I can see in the track that it's stopped, even though the slit goes to 17 inches. Now, that's with the straps pulled straight out. If I were to pull straps out and up (which would put the harness slot below her shoulders), it looks like it goes all the way. Is that confusing? I don't know how else to describe it.

Here are my pictures.

Dd with the straps slid up as far as I can get them. (don't know why the pic is crappy)
DSC03715.jpg

Straps as far up as I can get them without dd in seat
DSC03719.jpg

My measurement of 16 inches. (slit in fabric does measure 17 inches)
DSC03720.jpg

ETA: I didn't look for the DOM (It's dark out anyway), but the seat was bought in Nov 07

BudgieStew

I measured mine when I got it the other day and the slot goes to 17 inches.
The cover does go higher then the actual slot though.
DOM March 2008

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC