Britax expiration...is this right?

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If a Britax Roundabout DOM is 04/2002 is it expired?

I've always gone by what Britax says in writing on their website:

Q. How long can my child seat be used?

A. Britax recommends that the use of a child seat be discontinued after six years or if the seat has been involved in a severe crash. After six years, technology has changed, components degrade from the environment (depending on how and where stored), parts get lost or installed incorrectly, or instructions and labels may not be available or not legible. The child seat may be unsafe and should be destroyed.

I was just told by the owner of this seat that they called Britax and were told that a) the 6 year expiration starts when the seat is first used, not when it's manufactured and b) if it's not stored in the car it can be used for up to 8 years...???? Has anyone heard this before?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
No. I've never heard that before. Plastic degrades; six years is the expected lifespan. There are no magic anti-aging properties in a Britax storage box: the carseat countdown starts ticking when the seat leaves the assembly line.

U

Unregistered

I have just been given a Centuary Accel SE - to use from my neighbour as she is finished with it - however it has a don't use after December 07 on the back.
Now i don't know if it would be illegal to use or not?

CTPDMom

I just called Britax myself to see if they'd say the same things on the phone they said to this Roundabout owner. Britax said ALL of their seats expire 6 years from date of manufacture, no exceptions for 'date of first use' or where it was stored...which is what I expected them to say. I spoke to Deborah and she also said the only exception to the 6 year rule is the Frontier which has a 9 year expiration date...and I didn't know that! That's so awesome. I asked her to repeat herself 3 times and asked her several times was she SURE that was for the harness and she said YES. That's so awesome! Anyway, I'm going to let this guy know that he maybe should call Britax again because he got some wrong info.

CTPDMom

I have just been given a Centuary Accel SE - to use from my neighbour as she is finished with it - however it has a don't use after December 07 on the back.

If the seat says to not use after 12/07 then do not use it. The seat should be destroyed by cutting the straps, removing the cover, write 'expired, do not use on it' with permanent marker and place in a dark plastic bag before putting at the curb so no one else tries to use it.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Illegal depends on the state you are in -- but it is definitely unsafe and unwise no matter where you live.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC