do you think this product is safe?

minismom

Just out of curiosity what do you guys think? The buckle strap is the only car seat part that goes through the sleep sac. It's fleece so not it's not bulky. This is basicaly the original sleep sac with a whole for the buckle strap so you don't have to squish all the excess fabric between baby and buckle. But does it technically "interferes with the harness"?

https://www.halosleep.com/products/detail/?product_id=252

ADS

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
Interferes with the harness, goes behind baby, adds a lot of excess fabric, so....I don't find it safe, no.

minismom

ok, just playing devil's advocate here. Technically it doesn't really go behind the baby, it goes on baby. It's a clothing item the baby wears and it's not a bulky sweater. I would compare it to a fleece snow suit, except instead of having separate legs it's a dress with a slot.

On a related topic, what do you moms of little girls do about dresses? Now that it's hot and dd is done crawling I've been putting her in dresses often but not sure what to do about the car seat...

crunchierthanthou

I vote no as well.

I don't think it goes behind the child anymore than say a fleece snowsuit, but there's lots of excess fabric. Look at the pictures of the babies in the cribs. The slit for the buckle is practically between their ankles (clear at the bottom of a long zipper) and there is a bunch to the sides as well. I can't imagine an acceptable harness fit being possible.

minismom

Alright crunchy, I'm sold. I hadn't noticed how low the slot is...
That low chest clip is sure bugging me too! And they're such a safety aware company!

Momof4Girls

On a related topic, what do you moms of little girls do about dresses? Now that it's hot and dd is done crawling I've been putting her in dresses often but not sure what to do about the car seat...

Not a whole lot of input on the bunting thing, but I'm inclined to agree with pp.

That said, my girls and I are dresses/skirts-only (except for activities like horseback riding). There has been no issue with skirts in the seats. They only get slightly bunched at the crotch strap area. Once I fasten the crotch buckle, I pull the skirt down through the buckle, and if there is extra slack, I just pull it a little tighter.

Raechel

courtfrog2

Uh oh... I used something like that when my DD was a baby :whistle:

It was definately not that thick, but it was like a fleece snowsuit that had a little hole in to where the buckle went.

Of course that was a few years before I got certified. The one pictured looks awefully thick!

I hate looking at that chest clip too!

christineka

I read in one car seat manual (not sure which one- I've read a few recently) that says kids should not wear dresses in car seats. Mine do anyway. We just bunch them up and don't adjust the harness. I have wondered how it works to have an older girl in a harnessed seat. I have considered getting one for my 6 year old, but I think she'd be embarrassed to scrunch up her dress. The little one doesn't care.

Christine

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I read in one car seat manual (not sure which one- I've read a few recently) that says kids should not wear dresses in car seats. Mine do anyway. We just bunch them up and don't adjust the harness. I have wondered how it works to have an older girl in a harnessed seat. I have considered getting one for my 6 year old, but I think she'd be embarrassed to scrunch up her dress. The little one doesn't care.

Christine

Well, that's a new one...I'll have to scour some manuals to find that. Coats, yeah, they pretty much all say not to wear a coat, but a dress? hmmm (sounds like something Eveflo would make up... )

:)

christineka

It was the titan. It doesn't say no dresses, but it does say "Dress the child in clothing with legs." I interpreted that to mean no dresses since they don't have legs. I'll have to check the tribute manual to see if it says that too.

Christine

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I vote no as well.

I don't think it goes behind the child anymore than say a fleece snowsuit, but there's lots of excess fabric. Look at the pictures of the babies in the cribs. The slit for the buckle is practically between their ankles (clear at the bottom of a long zipper) and there is a bunch to the sides as well. I can't imagine an acceptable harness fit being possible.

:Yeahthat: I probably should have clarified th excess bulk could cause problems with the fit of the child in the seat.

dhardawa

Christine

I think that is sillyness. I never found a dress to cause any car seat problems. Here is a picture of Emily in a dress in a car seat when she was four (and VERY done playing "car seat guinea pig" for the day).

emilyhusky.jpg

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It was the titan. It doesn't say no dresses, but it does say "Dress the child in clothing with legs." I interpreted that to mean no dresses since they don't have legs. I'll have to check the tribute manual to see if it says that too.

Christine

heh, I knew it :rolleyes: (evenflo, lol). I think they mean like baby bunting type things, those jammies that are a bag with not even a slit for a crotch strap.:thumbsup:

tcottawa

You know, a child wearing a thin fleece jacket that's two or three sizes too big can have WAY too much excess fabric to get the harness right. I think some education about how the harness should be as tight as possible needs to go in the manuals, vs. "don't wear bulky clothing" which isn't really clear.

I think anything that encourages sloppy harness use is a big problem.

brooklynsmommy

The whole dress thing was the reason my sister in law took my niece out of a 5 point as soon as she hit 30 lbs... They are only allowed to wear dresses/ skirts below the knees. I guess they didn't like having to scrunch it up to buckle her in. dumb dumb dumb!

Stretchy Glue

The only time I ever had problems with my dd in a dress is when she was wearing an ankle length pencil skirt. Loose dresses we just buckled right in, but that long, think khaki skirt was just not going to work.
I will :yeahthat: to the pp's who commented on what it does to the crotch buckle. The bulk involved in the shoulders is not an issue to me, but it does make life very difficult at the other end of the harness. Pulling the crotch buckle down that low means that the harness will not rest over the legs like it is supposed.:twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC