What is the Benefit of a Latched Booster?

waterskiidaho

I just purchased the Compass B510 for my 4 year old son who is 40 lbs. I am not sure if this is "the seat" for us. I am wondering what is the benefit of having a booster that is latched like the Monterey. All help is very appreciated! Thanks!

ADS

crunchierthanthou

The biggest known benefit of a booster that utlizes LATCH is that you don't have to buckle in the empty booster. They are quite the projectile in the crash.

There is also some evidence that using LATCH in booster mode improves side impact performance (which is a huge plus, IMO).

-see the chat transcript with SSK's director of engineering

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=40794

skipspin -> Special Events - CEU Chat Session: Does it provide better protection when LATCHed, or is the LATCH primarly providing a protection that prevents it from becoming a projectile when not in use?

Carseatengr -> Special Events - CEU Chat Session: The lower anchors provide little difference in occupant protection

wendytthomas -> Special Events - CEU Chat Session: If the LATCH is there simply to hold the seat in when unoccupied, it won't affect the seat's performance in a lateral collision?

Carseatengr -> Special Events - CEU Chat Session: It will change the test results slightly in side impact

wendytthomas -> Special Events - CEU Chat Session: For the better?

__

Carseatengr -> Special Events - CEU Chat Session: Re Wendy on side impact - Yes

some posters here also worry about the added loading on the child from a heavy booster (such as the Graco Nautilus, Britax Frontier and SSK Monterey). There isn't much data behind that yet, but the concern is that a 20 lb booster is going to effectively weigh 600 lbs in a 30 mph crash.

southpawboston

there is also some evidence from a transport canada study that a LATCHed booster also reduces the head and chest loads in a standard frontal crash test. the reductions in loads form the LATCHed boosters were statistically significant, but modest, compared with unLATCHed boosters.

waterskiidaho

I really appreciate your help with this matter and also forwarding the link to the chat. Do you know why the Monterey isn't on Sunshine Kids website?

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
In addition to what's been said, I want you to consider keeping your 4 year old in a harnessed seat, most kids lack the maturity to properly use a booster until they are 5-6 years old or older. 4 Years AND 40 pounds is really the bare minimum we like to see kids in boosters, but whenever possible a 4 year old should really be harnessed.

Are you in Idaho? I'm a CPST in Idaho, if you need anything, please let me know!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC