I can't decide on a car seat: please help!

U

Unregistered

My daughter is 19 months old, weighs 21 pounds, and is 32-33" long. I want to purchase a second car seat so we will have one for both vehicles. ('02 Camry and '03 Town & Country) I already own an Evenflo Titan Elite DLX, and would like to buy something that will eventually work as a booster up to at least 60 lbs. Basically, I'm having a lot of trouble finding something that is safe, easy to use, very well padded, attractive, and inexpensive. I would really appreciate any ideas that someone could offer me.

ADS

Ahzryn

Unfortunately you aren't going to find anything that both rear-faces, as your daughter should be at her age and weight, and goes to 60 pounds and then becomes a booster. At this stage in the game it would be much more cost effective to get an inexpensive secondary convertible seat like a $40 Scenera. You may even find you like the Scenera better than your Titan, which can be difficult to adjust and install.

New seats come out all the time; by the time she outgrows your current seats first rf and then ff there are bound to be more options.

If you don't like your Titan, we may be able to suggest some other seats that would be easier to install and use, and potentially last a little longer, and you could use the Titan as a backup seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At 19 months and 21 pounds she needs a seat that will rear face for a long time, and then use a harness for quite a while. Boostering to only 60 pounds is not safe. By "booster" do you mean a carseat with a harness? A booster by definition does not have a harness.

There are no good seats that go from rear facing to forward facing to booster and do it all well. They're good rear facing seats, so so forward facing, and then lousy boosters. Kids usually outgrow them by torso height or weight before they're mature enough for a booster (about 5-6 years old).

What's generally most cost effective is to buy a good convertible seat now that will last to a mature booster age, and then buy a dedicated booster then. Or decide you want to harness longer and buy another harnessed seat. But that decision is made around age six and it's up to you.

Since you have such a petite little girl the first seat I would point you toward would be the Evenflo Triumph Advance. It has a 35 pound rear facing limit, a tall shell, deep sides, and lots of leg support. Forward facing it goes to 50 pounds with 17.5" top harness height. It's $130-$170.

For $270-$300 you can get one of the big Britax convertibles. The Marathon and Boulevard rear face to 35 pounds and forward face to 65 with 17" top slots. The Decathlon rear faces to 33 pounds and forward faces to 65 with 17" top slots. Since your daughter is such a lightweight she likely won't make it to 50 pounds in any seat, nevermind 65 (my daughter didn't hit 21 pounds until she was two years old and she will outgrow her Britax seat probably around 40 pounds).

Those would be my first recommendations.

Wendy

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
No, there really aren't any. Go ahead and concentrate on finding a convertible that will fit her rearfacing now and forward facing to about age 5, then you can look at an even taller harnessed seat if she needs it, or at a good booster to get her to age 11ish when she fits the adult seatbelt.

keri1292

3in1's do not make good boosters. But for a similar price you can get a Triumph Advance ($129) and a highback booster ($40 and up). The Advance should last your petite little one until she's 6, possibly longer. :thumbsup: My 7.5yo still fits in an Advance. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC