New purchase--recommendation?

U

Unregistered

Hey gang! It's been a while, but thank you so much for your advice and assistance in my last carseat purchase!! We settled on 2 Marathons and the Decathalon (we have triplets)--all which fit comfortably in my Expedition! WHOO--pricey though! heehee

My mother wants to purchase ONE carseat for her car, but can't afford a Britax. What would you recommend? I was hoping to stay under $150, if not cheaper. From what I recall, many of you suggested the FPSV and Triumph. What about the Eddie Bauer convertible? Good reviews on the new Graco? Thanks ahead of time for you help--my life has been FAR TOOOOO chaotic lately, and I just do not have the time to research like I did before. I barely have time to breathe!!!!!!

Amber

ADS

skaterbabs

I wouldn't recommend a Graco convertible or one of the 3 in ones. The newest Graco seat is forward facing-only, so depending on the size/age of your children may not be appropriate.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
How old are the kids who will use your mom's seat?

If they are age three or under, I would get an EFTA. I am not a fan of the EFTA, but others love it. It would also probably be the easiest for your mom to adjust for different kids. :)

U

Unregistered

Sorry--they are now 17 months! We just went to forward facing in our Britax carseats! Yippie! LOL

Anyway--I know my mother is buying just one seat, so she can take them one at a time (to fit in her Tahoe). Of course, I know that all carseats have to pass certain tests, etc--I did hours of research before my purchase a year ago, but have forgotten what all I found out! I remember that the Evenflo (is that what you are labeling as the EFTA?) had high ratings, but I made my purchase based on the fact that I was going to have 3 lined across the seat, and I wanted them to get as much use out of them as I could. You have so much more to choose from when you aren't 'as' picky! My only criteria for this one is safety! LOL

Thanks for the advice, I truly appreciate it!!

Amber

skaterbabs

How much do your babies weigh? Your Britax seats rear face to 33 lbs.

Turning forward facing is not a milestone to be celebrated - especially for children under two. They're significantly more likely to suffer severe injuries forward facing.

myliljunebugs

I'm assuming they just hit 20lbs? If so I would personally turn them back rearfacing. They are statistically much safer (thus why my dd just turned FF). An EFTA (Evenflo Triumph ADVANCED) would be a great seat for a budget, you can see a picture of my dd in it in my siggy. The one I have is about $150, but at Walmart they have the same seat different cover for $125. It is great because the harness is slid up and down which is good for 3 different kids sharing it. Even if they are the same age, they more than likely won't always have the same torso height. It RF to 35lbs also. :)

PixieEMT

Amber- Please watch this video.........Forward Facing is not a milestone in your triplets' lives. Every advancement in child passenger safety is actually a demotion in their safety.

1 and 20lbs is the MINIMUM requirements for rear facing. For MAXIMUM safety all children should ride rear facing until they reach the rear facing limits of their safety seat. Most seats can RF until 33lb or 35lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DVfqFhseo

Hope this helps! Sara

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC