OMG!!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I called the 800 number on the True Fit manual to find out about the different manuals.

For those not familiar the manual that was printed in 01/08 states for RF you use positions 1 and 2, FF 2,3,and 4.

However, the pdf manual on Elitecarseats http://www.elitecarseats.com/assets...Compass/Compass_TrueFitConvertible_manual.pdf that is dated 03/08 states for RF you use positions 1,2,and 3. For FF positions 2,3,and 4.

That makes a big difference.

I explain this to the CS rep. SHe types nad tell me Just to use the manual that came with the seat. I told her I understand, but as a tech I NEED to know the correct information. She is at a loss for words and tell me she will transfer me to Learning Curve and I can ask for Tamara. Well Tamara is on the phone so I leave her a msg and am currently waiting for a call back.

When the CS rep anwered to me she appeared to have a "I want to be somewhere else attitude". So fair warning to anyone who calls be prepared for possible poor CS.

ADS

scatterbunny

:( I hope you can get to the bottom of it. I hate poor CS. Before Compass switched to Learning Curve/The First Years, I heard they had fantastic CS.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I hope she calls me back. I think that they updated manuals, but did not bother to tell comsumers. I am going to register my seat and see if they send me a advisory notice or something. I plan on taking a bunch of pics later this week. JKA will come over and we will play in both our cars.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm curious to see what they say.

Not to be pessimistic, but I suspect they won't issue new manuals unless they also issue new seat stickers since there are a number of places that indicate only 1 & 2 are acceptable for rf'ing on the old manual seats.

From what I've seen on the limited # of people who have posted and tried older kids in it though, the 3rd slot is high enough that most kids will outgrow the seat my weight before ever reaching the 3rd slot.. it's pretty comparable to the 3rd slot on the MA, which my dd was just slightly below at 30lbs - anyone know how often kids last in the MA to need the 2nd from top slots? My kids tend to be a bit taller in the torso than average at that age too... my dd has sprouted all legs in the last year and is just barely above those slots ff'ing now. :thumbsup:

crunchierthanthou

I agree with snowbird. I'm curious, but doubt anything will be done. I don't think it's that big of a deal. It would have to be a child with a super long torso, but short neck and head who would be above the third slots, yet still fit rf by height. So the first manuals only said 1 and 2, the new ones say 1-3. I don't think that's recall or even advisory worthy (which would have to happen to change the stickers). Britax seems to change their height guidelines all the time. Didn't SSK change which slots can be used rf with the Radian? :shrug-shoulders:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I agree that chances are that they will not send anything out. I still want to know if the 3rd position is a option if the child does fit RF with more than 1 inch of shell above thier head. ;)

firemomof3

Are you guys having problems with the harness straps of the true fit?! It only tightens on one side and there is a lot of loose harness on the opposite side. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

munchkin

Are you guys having problems with the harness straps of the true fit?! It only tightens on one side and there is a lot of loose harness on the opposite side. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

If I am remembering correctly (carseat in car and it is pouring out) I think it loops through under the bottom. I think this because I was pulling the adjuster strap and got it caught on the loop before I installed it. You might want to check and make sure yours is not getting caught.

Last edited:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Munchkin is correct. It does have a continuous harness strap that feeds across the entire botton instead of the 2 separate harnesses.

I have found if you pull out on both hatness straps at the buckle tong to get them even and then insert them into the buckle it helps.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I still have not hear anything back. I sent another email to CS

I am having not luck with you guys on the phone, so I will try email for the 2nd time. I called and left a message for Tamara yesterday and have not heard back.

It is very important that I have accurate information being a Child Passenger Safety Technician Instructor Candidate.

I ordered a True Fit and have recieved it. While waiting for it to arrive I found a manual online to read up on how it works. Here is the link to the manual I found it is dated 03/08 http://www.elitecarseats.com/assets...Compass/Compass_TrueFitConvertible_manual.pdf

The problem I am having is the manual that came with my True Fit is dated 01/08 and had different information in it.

01/08 manual states:
For rear facing use positions 1 and 2
For forward facing use positions 2,3,and 4.

However, the 03/08 manual states
For rear facing use positions 1,2, and 3
For forward facing use positions 2,3,and 4.

So as you can see the newer manual allowa position 3 to be used for rear facing as well. Have you updated the manuals? Can positions 1,2,and 3 be used when rearfacing as long as there is atleast 1 inch of hard shell above the childs head?

My other question is in reguards to the angle for rear facing. The manual states it needs to be at a 45 degree angle. This is perfectly fine for a newborn to around 6 months when they have full head control. However for a older child such as my daughhter who is nearly 29 months and rear faces she wis not happy at a 45 degree angle. Most manufacturers state in thier manuals that when a child is older and has head control that the child restraint can be used anywhere fro 30-45 degrees. Do you allow the True Fit to be installed at a more upright angle for older children when rear facing as long as the recline "foot" is still being used?

I will be very appreciative as well as the other Instructors and Technicians will if yoyu can let us know on these 2 issues ASAP.

Thanks You
Lisa
CPST-IC

Last edited:

solmama

Hey Lisa,
Thanks for writing them. I just installed our Truefit, rear-facing, and am wondering if the 3rd slot can be used. I also installed it more upright. I hope they allow this. It's a good, solid install.

You might want to edit out your last name in your previous post.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Hey Lisa,
Thanks for writing them. I just installed our Truefit, rear-facing, and am wondering if the 3rd slot can be used. I also installed it more upright. I hope they allow this. It's a good, solid install.

You might want to edit out your last name in your previous post.

I have a feelig the 3rd position is allowed, but until I hear different then I will not use it. Of course the next batch of TF to come out will probably have the 03/08 manual and this will confuse people. I hope they just make an announcment that you can use position 3.

The Scenera manual states the same and there was some controversy over it. I call Dorel and spoke wiht a supervisor who is a tech and she told me for a younger child it had to be 45 degrees (under 6 months generally), but for a older chail as long as it is between 30 and 45 degrees it is fine. Now if Learning Curve ever does get back with me and says it must be at a 45 degree angle then it will have to be a parental decision to use it more upright. I too have mine installed more upright.

dhardawa

I have not made it to the part about when the infant padding must be removed, but my 8 month old with the padding is even with the second slots. If I wanted to leave the padding in, he would definitely need the third set of slots before he is done rear facing.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I have not made it to the part about when the infant padding must be removed, but my 8 month old with the padding is even with the second slots. If I wanted to leave the padding in, he would definitely need the third set of slots before he is done rear facing.

Inserts are only for slot Position 1 according to the manual. I think they should be permitted for use in position 2 as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC