Where can I "try out" a Graco Nautilius? without putting him on a shelf?

jwren

I have Frontier for fulltime use in my car...I need to get another seat for MIL and DH cars.. Trying to see if I will need another BF or can anyone tell me where I can go that the GN is out on display that I can sit him in it and try it... My concern is the crotch strap... I know the Frontier has plenty of room there, but he is way too tight in the crotch of the MA (which we have in my MIL car and currently mine too, which is why we bought the BF) and it's time to move him on to something with more room in those seats too.. any advice.. we've already tried the radian (too narrow), the safeguard (not enough crotch depth), etc..and the regent (too big) So far I have only seen the GN at Walmart and it's mounted to the top shelf.. so impossible to try it.. :eek:;)

ADS

aisraeltax

you should be able to get them to pull a seat down for you...do you have a BRU near you? thats where i went when i wanted to look at a Diplomat (b/c they had a bench seat there..not what i hvae but nice enough to see how the seat installs, how he sits, etc.etc.).

Heather98012

I was at BRU on Friday & tried it out. I'm not really digging it....I think I'm going with the Frontier. The two Right Starts in my area are getting them in this week & I'm #2 on the list to call when they arrive!

mominabigtruck

I carry nail clippers with me;) The "man" at walmart is not going to stop me from trying something out and personally I think its downright stupid that they want you to spend money there but its not ok to try stuff out:thumbsdown:

Mae

I carry nail clippers with me;) The "man" at walmart is not going to stop me from trying something out and personally I think its downright stupid that they want you to spend money there but its not ok to try stuff out:thumbsdown:

You carry nail clippers....What!? :confused: I don't get it. Why? :eek:

mominabigtruck

They'd have no problem cutting the ties so you could try it out. Just ask. ;)

But then I'd actually have to hunt down someone that worked in that particular dept because god knows not just anyone could do that. And normally in my walmart its an 70 year old grandma so then she'd have to find some big strong stock worker to do it. And then they'd feel the need to talk to me about it and then I'd feel bad because I had absolutely no intention of buying anything, I just wanted to play with it.

So in the long run its just easier to do it myself and then the next person doesn't have to worry about it either:whistle:

jwren

yeah tried to ask about removing them the girl said that she would get fired if she did, apparently someone walked out a week prior with a 42 inch plasma, so now they lock it all down.. I've got a few other walmarts to try but I don't want to go door to door..:confused:;)

They'd have no problem cutting the ties so you could try it out. Just ask. ;)

keri1292

yeah tried to ask about removing them the girl said that she would get fired if she did, apparently someone walked out a week prior with a 42 inch plasma, so now they lock it all down.. I've got a few other walmarts to try but I don't want to go door to door..:confused:;)

Try the magic words... "Could I please speak to a manager?"
PRESTO! You get what you want. ;)
Plus, I wish they could find a way to secure them, but make them easiy removable. I don't want any curious preschoolers taking a Nautilus to the head or ignorant parent trying the seat out on the shelf when it's NOT zip tied down.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I don't know where you live, but Meijer is starting to carry them, and none of the Meijers that I go to lock down their car seats.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Plus, I wish they could find a way to secure them, but make them easiy removable. I don't want any curious preschoolers taking a Nautilus to the head or ignorant parent trying the seat out on the shelf when it's NOT zip tied down.

Maybe some industrial-strength Velcro, with signs stating NOT to try out seats on the shelf, would be enough?

If the stores are worried about theft, they could attach a security device to the seat. Some other stores do that.

keri1292

Maybe some industrial-strength Velcro, with signs stating NOT to try out seats on the shelf, would be enough?

If the stores are worried about theft, they could attach a security device to the seat. Some other stores do that.

I don't really get the theft thing. Why would someone take the display seat, when there is a whole stack of them right below? :scratcheshead:

cpsaddict

I don't really get the theft thing. Why would someone take the display seat, when there is a whole stack of them right below? :scratcheshead:

Happened quite often at BRU, when I worked there. I think they figure that people will think they brought their own in or something. Once a couple of women walked right out with two travel systems.:eek: Eventually, they got some security tags. We lost thirteen Pump In Styles in one week. Now they all have security tags. Let's see, once I lost three infant seats. They took the seat, but not the base. I lost the infant seat to the Metrolite system several times. The Graco Snnugrider went missing the same day as a Peg Perego Aria did. It was never ending.

Heather98012

Happened quite often at BRU, when I worked there. I think they figure that people will think they brought their own in or something. Once a couple of women walked right out with two travel systems.:eek: Eventually, they got some security tags. We lost thirteen Pump In Styles in one week. Now they all have security tags. Let's see, once I lost three infant seats. They took the seat, but not the base. I lost the infant seat to the Metrolite system several times. The Graco Snnugrider went missing the same day as a Peg Perego Aria did. It was never ending.

Does the store have video monitoring? I'd think it would be essential with that much shoplifting...& of high ticket items, to boot!!

jwren

I don't know why they don't just attach a retractable cord to it, like they do to cameras.. That way their would be enough slack to bring it to floor level and try it out:whistle:;) Simple solution...in my book...

The lady at walmart told me someone a week prior had actually took an infant seat off the display shelf and a stroller, put her baby in it and walked out the door...I don't know why they don't have those alarm tags on displays.. seems like that would prevent that kind of thing..;)

mamabear

hey, even more bold was the time I went through airport security with DD when she was an infant.

You have to take them out of the stroller, carseat to go through security,
I took her out, put her stroller through first, then her infant snugride.

We walked through and started to gather our bags when one of the TSA's asked me "is that yours??" pointing.

a lady was strapping her baby into my snugride and it was snapped into my stroller!!!

She was just going to try to walk away!!!

Security came over and stopped her....

the nerve of some people:eek:

cpsaddict

Does the store have video monitoring? I'd think it would be essential with that much shoplifting...& of high ticket items, to boot!!

We did, but it didn't deter much, if any. There was even a sign stating there was monitoring. All we could do was forward the video to the police, but aside from that, there was no way to catch them. We were told we could not chase them or confront them.

NOAHSMOM

BabyDepot doesn't tie their seats down either, but does not have the lovely fake car seat that BRU has. The Walmarts around me never have gotten the GN's in stock.

singingpond

It's Nautilus Nautilus NautiLUS

Not Nautilius

Not sure why this misspelling bugs me so much, but it does.

Oh, and on the topic of the actual question, I guess I'm lucky that our local WM does not attach the seats to the shelf -- that sounds very frustrating. I also carry nail clippers (as another poster mentioned) as well as a pocket knife -- in case no help is forthcoming from store staff in a situation like this. Seats at BRU don't seem to be strapped down either -- maybe try there?

Katrin

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC