300 Free Booster Seats Help Parents Comply With New Law

ADS

MsFacetious

My experience in Utah has been that kids don't make it past 40lbs in any type of restraint. We are lucky if they are still in a car seat after they outgrow the infant seat. It's ridiculous. I really think we are one of the worst places, though I'm not sure why exactly. I see babies forward facing with a 2 year old in nothing next to them on a daily basis. One of the most common things I hear is "God will protect my child and if it's my child's time to go no car seat is going to save them."

Then I'm reminded why I don't go to church.

There's a few good ones though... Heyitsme is making some good points. And, I loved this comment:

"It makes me furious to think that parents would say that $15 was too much money to spend on the safety of their children. Of course gas and food prices are taking a toll on everyone, but I don't think you can put a price on the safety of your children. I think it is ridiculous that they even have to make a law for this since parents should be do this anyway. My son rode in his booster seat until he was eight. We discussed that while he may not feel "COOL", it was much more important for him to be safe. He understood that we had him ride in it because we loved him and wanted him to be safe.

I find it hilarious that parents are complaining about spending the $15 on the safety of their children, as they sit at their computer on their internet. PRIORTIES PEOPLE!"

crunchierthanthou

I find it hilarious that parents are complaining about spending the $15 on the safety of their children, as they sit at their computer on their internet. PRIORTIES PEOPLE!"[/B]

backless TBs were less than $12 at Target last week.

I really can't read those comments. I tried to keep up with them as the law was going through legislation. The ignorance really is astounding. :mad:

I wish I could have been there. I got an email looking for volunteers a few weeks ago, but we had a family thing.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
"Companies like Ken Garff Auto donated the booster seats to help parents comply with a new law that requires children ages 8 and younger to be strapped into a booster seat while riding "

I'd say the paper has negative bias as well. :( "Strapped into a booster," doesn't exactly promote "safety" and "comfort" in my book. :thumbsdown:

1Sept3Dec

Senior Community Member
Glad to see the law passed. Too bad I'm in MN - we've still got 4/40 on our books. :(

I read through all the comments too and was astounded. I'd bet most of the people ranting about "big government" probably don't even have kids... :mad: I'd love to have a conversation with a few of them!

christineka

This area isn't the only one giving out booster seats. Our local safe kids is having a safety fair this Wednesday where they are selling booster seats for $7. I'm going to see if I can fit my bum in one. I hate having the seat belt cut into my neck. I see lots of kids around here not in any kind of seat and they sure look younger than 5 too. I wish there was more of an effort to educate parents. The info on the safety fair only went out to certain schools. I homeschool, so I only found out because I happen to go to church with the safe kids guy and I asked him about getting kids booster seats. (I did announce this to the homeschoolers.)

Christine

keri1292

I was told that they are not necessary, as the top speed in the distance we drive is only 30mph. That it is not the lack of a booster seat that causes the injuries, but speed. And that it is actually safer not to have five booster seats crammed into a car that are not likely to be properly stabilized when we are going at most 30mph, and only 20mph in a school zone.

:eek:
Why did I look? Look! It's an ignorance parade! :mad:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
:thumbsup: On the donated booster seats. Articles about the newly passed Michigan booster law have also received some "interesting" comments to say the least. :(

popsicle

One of the most common things I hear is "God will protect my child and if it's my child's time to go no car seat is going to save them."
[/B]

I have to say, this attitude makes me so angry. I am a Christian, and faith that God will protect you is fine. But as a parent it is your responsibity to do everything in your power to protect the children that you have been entrusted with. You are their protector. That's a parent's job! Would you not lock your doors at night because "If an intruder comes in and harms my family that's God's will."? Would you allow your young children to wander without supervision because God will protect them from harm? No, I don't think so. So why would you put their safety in the car up to chance? I'm sorry but it infuriates me when people use faith as an excuse for negligence. I'm pretty sure God expects you to do your part in protecting your family.

christineka

I did not realize Utah had a law stating if there are more people than seatbelts you don't have to buckle up. I have seen four kids in the back of a car being transported to and from church. I was hoping I could tell them that was illegal.

Christine

Adventuredad

Car seat use is very much about traditions, habit, and education. It takes a long time to change people views about safety. Makes me really angry. I thought those comments were so stupid I just had to laugh. What a great effort by parents:thumbsup: What happened to basic common sense and rational thinking?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC