What kind of seatbelts does a 1998 Grand AM have ?

ADS

Lea_Ontario

I can't tell the difference by looking at them.

I was (am ?) desperately hoping for them to be those nice ratcheting belts. Can't remember which those are though - ALR ? ELR ? Not sure.

TerisBoys

Sorry - Chevy Corsica and Pontiac Grand Am are similar sized vehicles made both made by GM. I know my neighbor had a Grand Am about the same year as my Corsica and the rear seatbelts were the same.

They really do work well for seatbelt installs tho :)

I need to not post when I'm sleepy - I don't clarify well.

Lea_Ontario

I'm pretty sure that's what I've got now, in our '99 Cavalier.
They work okay, yes.

But I can't help but think that the ratcheting belts would be SO much easier for me to use.

crunchierthanthou

I'm pretty sure that's what I've got now, in our '99 Cavalier.
They work okay, yes.

But I can't help but think that the ratcheting belts would be SO much easier for me to use.

You'd think that would be the case, but it's totally the opposite once you get the hang of them. I used to dread locking latchplates and I didn't really trust them. Now I :love: them for carseats.

switchable ALR = buckle, tighten and lock. They often cause a rf seat to tilt (or even a ff Radian in my vehicle).

locking latchplate = buckle, tighten and maybe flip over the male end if it's not staying tight. best of all, no tipping and you almost never need a locking clip. :)

TerisBoys

:yeahthat:

I used baseless infant seats for both Ryan and William (Joyride for William, FPSIV for Ryan - daddy had the base in the van). LOVED my locking latchplates for those installs.

Honestly, I don't think my Corsica ever met a carseat it didn't like. For having a contoured backseat it was a dream to install things in. I have MORE problems in my roomy minivan with switchable retractors than I ever had in my Corsica :)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
My Grandpa's Grand AM has a lap belt with locking latch plate in the center and l/s belts with cinching (a sort of light weight locking latch plate, but instead of a moving part there is a rubber sheath) latch plates outboard.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC