nautilus pics

hillary116

I would like to see some pictures of bigger kids in the graco nautilus. I keep reading about the shoulder width being an issue. Thanks!

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
My son is 7, 44 lbs and 46" and has no problem with shoulder room in the Nautilus. In fact, he finds it so comfortable that within a week of getting it, he asked me to switch it out with the Regent that was in our primary car (the Nautilus was originally in our secondary car).

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
7 years old:
IMG_1731.jpg

7 years old:
IMG_1783.jpg

11 years old (his arms are like that because I told him I wanted a clear view of the seat belt):
IMG_1785.jpg

9 years old:
IMG_2012.jpg

scatterbunny

This thread has two pics of my big girl in the Nautilus (97th percentile for height, about 90th for weight, 50.5 inches tall and 59 pounds in these pics). She didn't complain at all about the seat, and she's very vocal about letting me know when she doesn't like a seat for any reason at all. :p Looking at the seat, the side wings aren't very large or deep, so I have a hard time picturing a child who's really too wide to fit comfortably, who still fit in the seat's harnessed requirements. :confused: I'd love to see pics so I can understand.

Mattkarn

He is not exactly older, but hes pretty big for his age. He is 4.5 years old (turns 5 this July), 45", 51 lbs, with a 17.5" torso.

carshow040.jpg

Last edited:

Defrost

Debbie-- can you post the heights and weights of your kids in the pics?

:ROTFLMAO:

Um... would a good estimate work? ;)

Let's see... the 7yo in the first pic is my friend's DD. She's, um, got a really long torso, and she's tall for her age. Wait, that's not specific enough? :D She's just at the top slots on my dd's Husky. So, a 19"-ish torso? No idea of her overall height. Gypsy did mention her weight the other day, so I think she was at least 55lbs in this pic?

The 7yo in the second pic has a 16-16.5" torso; she's just below the 2nd-to-top slots in the GN; she's right at the top slots in the MA. She weighs just over 40lbs, and her growth percentile is pretty low.

The 11yo has a 19" torso and weighs about 60lbs; his growth percentile is also very low (5th or lower).

The 9yo also has a 19" torso and also weighs about 60lbs; he's about 3 inches shorter than the 11yo overall, and he's about in the 50th percentile for growth.

hillary116

thank you everyone so much! the pics were helpful. it seems that my fairly avg daughter and my petite son (both 3) should do fine in the nautilus for quite some time. (ideally, we do not want to buy new seats for them until these expire!) i love this site- it is addictive.

TerisBoys

Ryan is 5.5yo, 45#, 44", 15.75" torso. He's right AT the second to top slots.

SR-C021.jpg

William is 8.5yo, 54#, 53", 19" torso. (He was leaning forward in this shot) - he finds it comfy, and he's used to a Britax StarRiser/Comfy and Graco Turbo backless - neither has any side support.

SR-C018.jpg

ntepper

The headrest on those seats looks so high when the kids get that tall. Can you see over it at all into the rearview window? is it any sort of driving hazard??

TerisBoys

With 3 kids in some sort of tall harnessed seat or booster, I've gotten used to looking around them.

In my van, all 3 boys are outboard (2 middle row, one wayback drivers side). It's really not too bad once you get used to it.

If you look at the shot of Ryan, you can see my FP booster in the wayback row.

I've gotten used to using my sideview mirrors and TURNING to look to back out of parking spots.

That said - I live in a rural area. I rarely parallel park, and I prefer to pull through a spot at the grocery store (I have mobility issues that make turning around to look to back up painful).

Defrost

The headrest on those seats looks so high when the kids get that tall. Can you see over it at all into the rearview window? is it any sort of driving hazard??

It is very tall! It's alarming when you first put it (or any other tall carseat in your car) and look in the rearview mirror. It seems like you see nothing but carseat!

However, I've had all four of my kids in the 3rd row of my vehicle, and 3-across the back of our other car, and I've found that it doesn't really matter if there's a carseat back there or a kid. Yes, if NO ONE is back there, I lower the headrests just to make things easier. But even if my older kids, who ride with just the seat belt and in backless boosters, are back there, they block the view. They may not technically block it as much as a carseat, but I've found that in real-life driving, anything blocking the rear window makes it a blind spot that I have to compensate for.

What I mean is, a kid's head is clearly smaller than the top of a carseat, but when I'm driving, that kid's head is just as likely to block my view of a vehicle behind me. So I wind up checking my side mirrors anyway. Or, if I'm backing out: twisting all the way around so I can see with both eyes, craning around the heads/carseats, asking them to help me look, and using the side mirrors.

So what it comes down is that it's not the carseat that causes a blind spot, it's the person - whether it's a child or an adult, they still block the window one way or the other, and you still have to learn to make compensations for that. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC