Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

"Calif. Lawmaker Seeks Law to Ban Lapdogs in Cars"

Heard this on the radio Thursday.

Calif. Lawmaker Seeks Law to Ban Lapdogs in Cars
    by Karen Grigsby Bates
    All Things Considered, April 24, 2008
    ...State Assemblyman Bill Maze (R-Visalia) wants to ban pet owners from driving with animals on their laps. Last week, a bill that would do just that passed the state's Assembly Committee on Transportation. The state Assembly may take up the measure, which Maze wrote, next week.

Maze says pets are a distraction that could put motorists at risk, much like talking on a cell phone....

...The bill does not specify how drivers should keep their pets in place....

And, the response:
    Letters: Have Pet, Will Travel ... Safely
    by Robert Siegel
    All Things Considered, April 25, 2008
    Pet owners respond to a California proposal that would make driving with a dog in your lap illegal. Two women describe accidents involving their dogs: One was restrained and the other was not.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: "Calif. Lawmaker Seeks Law to Ban Lapdogs in Cars"

He says he doesn't even like being told he has to wear a seatbelt, let alone his dog.

"The government should get out of my business, you know what I mean?" Bonds says. "Let me live my life my way, with what little freedom we have left."

My grandparents drive with their Jack Russell on their lap and it drives me CRAZY!
    Maiya ~ 12y/80lbs ~ Jane Indy Plus ~ Hayden ~ 9y/55lbs ~ SK Monterey ~ Quinn ~ 8y/45lbs ~ RXT ~ Mitchell ~ 18m/24lbs ~ Arctic Cat MA

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Uh...yeah... your freedom to drive with your dog on your lap ends where my freedom not to have your distracted self crashing into ME begins

I think that's a great law...I know my dogs have broken free from their soft crate on occassion once or twice and ended up in my lap and it was desparately distracting!!! Now they ride in the hard crate, buckled up
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

CPS Technician

I heard that same story on NPR. I think it's a great idea! Made me sooooooo sad this morning to see the sweetest looking golden retriever in the back of a pick-up today WITHOUT THE TAIL GATE UP. I really wished we had a law now so I could have called someone about that truck.
    DS - 11 Riding in an Incognito
    DD - Two Riding in a Graco Extend2Fit and Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Convertible

I'm sorry, but geez, California (and many other states) can't even afford to enforce the laws that it currently has. There are so many little nit-picky laws that law enforcement is spread too thin to be able to enforce them all. I mean, when I lived there, it didn't matter how fast I drove, there was always several cars that passed me going faster. There were rarely cops with the "time to spare" to pull over speeders.

I remember when I was a kid, they used to have these ridiculous "border stops" going from Oregon into California. They would stop and check all vehicles for contraband fruit. They don't do that any more, I am assuming because it was ridiculously expensive and caused traffic problems.

How about enforcing the laws that are already on the books that say that cops can pull over drivers who are driving negligently. A driver swerving or not being attentive to traffic because of a dog in their lap is driving negligently. A driver who is yapping on the phone and swerving is driving negligently. Why waste more money to create a redundant law?

Mindy, mom to Sicily (age 5, 37 lbs, Radian 80 princess), Lily (age 3, 30 lbs., FF in a Maxi Cosi Priori or Radian XT), and Liam (born in January, riding in a cowmoo Britax Chaperone)

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by SillyLily View Post
    I remember when I was a kid, they used to have these ridiculous "border stops" going from Oregon into California. They would stop and check all vehicles for contraband fruit. They don't do that any more, I am assuming because it was ridiculously expensive and caused traffic problems.
    we were stopped between nevada (or poss arizona?) and ca just recently.
    Jet 6/05 Marvel 8/06
    Cash 2/09 Fox 2/09
    Ada due very soon!

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    Uh...yeah... your freedom to drive with your dog on your lap ends where my freedom not to have your distracted self crashing into ME begins
    That's what I was thinking!
    Bonnie, Mum to a (38lb) 3 year old rear-facing in a Brio Zento (Black)
    and a (40lb) 4 1/2 year old in a Booster in New Zealand.

My dogs have their own car seats. People give me weird looks all the time but I look at it as safety first, you know?