"Calif. Lawmaker Seeks Law to Ban Lapdogs in Cars"

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Heard this on the radio Thursday.

Calif. Lawmaker Seeks Law to Ban Lapdogs in Cars
by Karen Grigsby Bates
All Things Considered, April 24, 2008
...State Assemblyman Bill Maze (R-Visalia) wants to ban pet owners from driving with animals on their laps. Last week, a bill that would do just that passed the state's Assembly Committee on Transportation. The state Assembly may take up the measure, which Maze wrote, next week.

Maze says pets are a distraction that could put motorists at risk, much like talking on a cell phone....

...The bill does not specify how drivers should keep their pets in place....

And, the response:
Letters: Have Pet, Will Travel ... Safely
by Robert Siegel
All Things Considered, April 25, 2008
Pet owners respond to a California proposal that would make driving with a dog in your lap illegal. Two women describe accidents involving their dogs: One was restrained and the other was not.

ADS

keri1292

He says he doesn't even like being told he has to wear a seatbelt, let alone his dog.

"The government should get out of my business, you know what I mean?" Bonds says. "Let me live my life my way, with what little freedom we have left."

:rolleyes:
My grandparents drive with their Jack Russell on their lap and it drives me CRAZY!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Uh...yeah... your freedom to drive with your dog on your lap ends where my freedom not to have your distracted self crashing into ME begins :rolleyes:

I think that's a great law...I know my dogs have broken free from their soft crate on occassion once or twice and ended up in my lap and it was desparately distracting!!! Now they ride in the hard crate, buckled up :thumbsup:

brightredmtn

I heard that same story on NPR. I think it's a great idea! Made me sooooooo sad this morning to see the sweetest looking golden retriever in the back of a pick-up today WITHOUT THE TAIL GATE UP. I really wished we had a law now so I could have called someone about that truck.

SillyLily

I'm sorry, but geez, California (and many other states) can't even afford to enforce the laws that it currently has. There are so many little nit-picky laws that law enforcement is spread too thin to be able to enforce them all. I mean, when I lived there, it didn't matter how fast I drove, there was always several cars that passed me going faster. There were rarely cops with the "time to spare" to pull over speeders.

I remember when I was a kid, they used to have these ridiculous "border stops" going from Oregon into California. They would stop and check all vehicles for contraband fruit. They don't do that any more, I am assuming because it was ridiculously expensive and caused traffic problems.

How about enforcing the laws that are already on the books that say that cops can pull over drivers who are driving negligently. A driver swerving or not being attentive to traffic because of a dog in their lap is driving negligently. A driver who is yapping on the phone and swerving is driving negligently. Why waste more money to create a redundant law?

aja

I remember when I was a kid, they used to have these ridiculous "border stops" going from Oregon into California. They would stop and check all vehicles for contraband fruit. They don't do that any more, I am assuming because it was ridiculously expensive and caused traffic problems.

we were stopped between nevada (or poss arizona?) and ca just recently.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC