Cutting off sides of car seat with a saw!

vonfirmath

:eek:

I was talking to a co-worker and discovered that when his sister was in town, they wanted to go somewhere and couldn't get the three car-seats to fit together in the backseat, so he took a saw to the sides and chopped pieces off (like the sides of arm rests? I was not clear on this) to make them fit.

I tried to tell him about car seats being tested as they are, complete, and he explained "they are all booster age so the seat is just to get the seatbelts positioned correctly. They don't need that side stuff"

Is this correct? I can easily see myself buckling in to peer pressure so "we can all go in 1 car" in a similar situation.

ADS

libranbutterfly

Booster seats need the armrests to hold the seatbelt properly. If it came with armrests, they needed to be there. And unless it was a newer car, there weren't enough lap/shoulder belts for each kid, so they shouldn't have even tried 3 across in boosters. Some boosters, like the Britax Parkway, are designed w/out armrests.

BW1426

There really needs to be a test that people are required to take before they can concieve:thumbsdown:

mommytotwo

"There really needs to be a test that people are required to take before they can concieve"

AMEN and Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Is this correct? I can easily see myself buckling in to peer pressure so "we can all go in 1 car" in a similar situation.

"You mean we can all DIE in one car? Great! Sign me up! Hey, and the neighbor kids can go, too, we'll just toss them in the trunk!"

Besides, boosters DO absorb some of the impact in a crash. While it's true that their main (and most important) purpose is to position the seat belt properly, they also absorb some of the crash forces, which means if the structural integrity of the seat has been compromised (by a SAW, for example), it could break into pieces in a wreck.

Goodness, how did you get your jaw off the floor after he told you that??

Heather98012

I was talking to a co-worker and discovered that when his sister was in town, they wanted to go somewhere and couldn't get the three car-seats to fit together in the backseat, so he took a saw to the sides and chopped pieces off (like the sides of arm rests? I was not clear on this) to make them fit.

I think this falls under the "Get 'er done" theory. So scary on so many levels!!

The Bjorns

I didn't even look at this post at first because I assumed it was about a good way to destroy an expired/crashed seat. OMG!!!:jaw: What the blankety-blank could he have been thinking? And why did no one stop him? I can't imagine someone offering to hack up any baby equipment, let alone a car seat, and me being okay with it.

Perhaps, while he's at it, he could take a couple of inches off the front legs of our highchair. I have a theory then that with the chair tipping forward, all the food would just roll downhill and not make a mess on the seat!

Ooo! And the baby swing. A little off opposite legs would make it rock without batteries! Think of the money I could save!

And I bet he'd be really good at getting more horsepower out of a machine. Maybe I could get him to soup up my breast pump! More milk in less time! I could be so efficient! Mooooove over Bessie, I've got dibs on the milkin' machine!

I'm just picturing all those red-neck jokes now. I guess I now know where those jokes get their inspiration.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC