Help with expiration dates, PLEASE!!!

MissAllyLou

So i was bumming around on Craigslist, and I found a listing for 2 Overhead shield car seats. I sent the seller this email:

What are the manufacture dates on these car seats? If it is 2002 or earlier,
the seats are EXPIRED, and CANNOT be used. Thanks!

And recieved this back:
There is nothing physically wrong with these seats.

Just because one person says seats built before 2002 are expired, why am I
to believe that? All the research I have done indicates car seats have a
10-year life-span. Please provide the information from a reliable source
that states otherwise.

Thanks!

Uggghhhh! So, I sent him a link to one of the forums on here talking about why seats expire, and a link to a you tube video showing an expired seat. Is there any other information I could send? Maybe even not to him, but in general? People are so stupid sometimes!!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
So i was bumming around on Craigslist, and I found a listing for 2 Overhead shield car seats. I sent the seller this email:

What are the manufacture dates on these car seats? If it is 2002 or earlier,
the seats are EXPIRED, and CANNOT be used. Thanks!

And recieved this back:
There is nothing physically wrong with these seats.

Just because one person says seats built before 2002 are expired, why am I
to believe that? All the research I have done indicates car seats have a
10-year life-span. Please provide the information from a reliable source
that states otherwise.

Thanks!

Uggghhhh! So, I sent him a link to one of the forums on here talking about why seats expire, and a link to a you tube video showing an expired seat. Is there any other information I could send? Maybe even not to him, but in general? People are so stupid sometimes!!

More importantly the manufacturers say when to stop using them (they should be stamped on the back with a Do Not Use After date) and if they're used past their date and someone is injured he'd be held liable unless he told them and had them sign something saying they knew they were buying expired seats. Does his homeowner's insurance cover negligent homicide by proxy? If I bought seats from him that he knew were expired (and his email to you shows that) then I'd sue his butt off if my kids were injured in them.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Great, then he is accepting liability should it fail.

You can't convince everyone. He's taking a risk with someone else's kid. Will it likely fail? Who knows. I wouldn't want it to be my kid to find out.

Wendy

MissAllyLou

:( I know what you're saying. But, I'd happily offer him 10 bucks for the darn thing to make sure no one ever rides in it again! Unfortunately, he won't let me buy it now. :mad:

scgirl816

I don't know how to help you, but I would love to see the info you sent him! My husband doesn't understand why I want to move my son out of an expired seat.

4boysmom

:( I know what you're saying. But, I'd happily offer him 10 bucks for the darn thing to make sure no one ever rides in it again! Unfortunately, he won't let me buy it now. :mad:

Can you email from a diff email address or have dh or a friend call?

MissAllyLou

I don't know how to help you, but I would love to see the info you sent him! My husband doesn't understand why I want to move my son out of an expired seat.

This is the email I sent him:

If it was made before 2002, it is expired. In an accident, the seat would fail to do it's job, injuring the child more. Here's a video showing what I mean:

http://home.comcast.net/~dcbsr/test...Child_Facing_Forwards_ten_years_old_seat.mpeg

And another to a public forum on expired seats: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=10725&highlight=expiration+date+video

So, please, if the seat was made before 2002, don't sell the seat. Destroy it by cutting all of the straps off, and writing on the shell "Expired - do NOT use"

Thanks for understanding.

Hope that helps you! Show him the video of the seat where the straps break right out....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC