any opinions on Mazda CX-9?

Melanie

Anyone have one of these? Please tell me the good and bad.

Could 2 car seats and a passenger fit in the 2nd row? Could 2 car seats fit in the second row and still be able to flip/slide the seat to gain access to the third row?

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
We looked at one extensively and almost bought one... we ended up going with a van in the end because of our garage. The doors were too big to comfortably open/close them in the garage... stupid home builders that think a 20' wide garage is fine for two vehicles. :mad:

Anyway, the answer is yes to both of your questions. It's super easy to fit three across (child restraints) in the second row. The top tether anchors are located on the seat backs which is great because they don't interfere with your cargo space.

I could fit three Marathons back there with no overlapping and not even close to touching the outside doors. :)

You could easily have two seats in the second row and fit an adult or two seats in the second row and still open up the 40 split to gain access to the third row. It is also easy to just slide the whole row forward (40 split side) and slip into the back row (if your seat is installed with LATCH on the 40 split).

It drove very nicely, response and breaks were great. Very comfy seats and nice options. The only downside we didn't like was some extra road noise back by the rear tire well... not terrible, just slightly noticeable.

The other thing I wasn't fond of was no tether anchors for the 3rd row... meaning you could only have a boostered child or an adult back there. My memory is a little foggy, but the vehicle owner's manual may have actually advised *against* putting a child restraint in the third row, so double check that one if that's important to you.

Hope that helps.

Melanie

Thanks aidensmom.

No tethers in the third row could be a deal breaker for me. I don't need to put car seats in the third row everyday, but would like the flexibility. What was Mazda thinking? I can understand not having the lower latch parts, but everything else I've looked at has had at least 1 tether anchor for the third row. I looked at the manual online. It sounded like you could put car seats in the third row if the manufacturer allows not using the tether. I'd personally want mine tethered though.

And this looked like such a nice vehicle...now I have to decide how often I would really need to put a car seat in the third row.

btw: If anyone else is interested, it looks like there is lower latch for all three positions in the second row. BUT you can't use an outboard and middle position at the same time and the middle has non standard spacing. The car manual referred to the car seat manual to see if it's allowed.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Unless they've changed since the '07 year, there is NO LATCH in the center position. There is only LATCH in both outboard positions. :)

Melanie

Unless they've changed since the '07 year, there is NO LATCH in the center position. There is only LATCH in both outboard positions. :)

Here's a piece from the manual. It was the same for 07 and 08. I mean no disrespect at all. I'm not a tech and I'm sure you know a gazillion things about all of this that I don't. I was surprised at how they have it.

qLATCH Child-Restraint System
Installation Procedure (Second-
Row Center Seat)
The LATCH lower anchors at the center
of the rear seat are much further apart than
the sets of LATCH lower anchors for
child-restraint system installation at other
seating positions. Child-restraint systems
with rigid LATCH attachments cannot be
installed on the center seating position.
Some LATCH equipped child-restraint
systems can be placed in the center
position and will reach the nearest
LATCH lower anchors which are 500 mm
(19.7 in) apart. LATCH compatible childrestraint
systems (with attachments on belt
webbing) can be used at this seating
position only if the child-restraint system
manufacturer's instructions state that the
child-restraint system can be installed to
LATCH lower anchors that are 500 mm
(19.7 in) apart. Do not attach two childrestraint
systems to the same LATCH
lower anchor. If your child-restraint
system has a tether, it must also be used
for your child's optimum safety.
Essential Safety Equipment
Child Restraint
2-

This came from this page :http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/pdf/manuals/2008_CX9_OM.pdf

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
What that is saying is that you are allowed to borrow the outboard anchors for a center seating installation using LATCH, provided that your vehicle manufacturer allows it.

The outboard anchors are the standard spacing, but when you borrow one of the anchors from each outboard location, the spacing for the center location is non-standard.

It's poorly written and I see why you were confused. :)

Melanie

Got it...thanks for clarifying. Between the vehicle and the car seat manuals both being difficult to comprehend, no wonder there is so much misuse.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC