backup sensor for my car

J

johnbackover

Ever heard about backup sensor? I've been installed and used such system on my 2004 camry for 6 months now and I believe it helps great. Especially for parking places where kids are running around. Last year there was a two yrs old girl killed by a car backing up from the garage in San Jose in June time frame. I have two yrs old boy and I am freezed by the news. I found this shop selling this
stuff and I personally believe it should be an essential safety device on all cars.
Why those guys in Detroit don't do it?

Check it out. http://www.smartreverse.com

For those who has kids might want read this
http://pediatrics.about.com/od/safety/a/05_backover_car.htm

Last edited:
ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Good question. Many more vehicles are getting sensor/camera systems, but usually as optional equipment or standard only on the highest trim levels. These systems are even more useful on higher riding SUVs or minivans where a small child might not otherwise be seen.

The main problem I found is finding a reliable installer for a reputable brand. If you are lucky enough to locate one, the costs can easily be $500 or more for a high quality system, including labor. There's a lot of junk and a lot of inexperienced install shops, so be wary.

I was looking into having a system installed in my van. Very few companies I contacted even returned my emails. I'll probably start looking again for information soon. Perhaps someone advertising for one of these companies and wanting a little more advertising will see this post and contact me with a good offer;-)

Until then, I'm using one of those lenses mentioned in the article you linked. For about $15 at the local CampingWorld store, I got an 11x14 inch lens that does a reasonable job. Plus, I installed it myself in about 2 minutes lol. Not as nice as a camera or a good sensor system, but it still helps considerably.

skaterbabs

Part of the issue with getting something like this installed is that if it's done improperly it can cause a LOT of damage to the vehicle, and possibly constitute a safety hazard. I have to wince whenever I hear someone talking about installing non-standard electronics in their vehicles b/c I know how much training my husband has had to work with things like that the right way - and I've heard his complaining every time he or one of his coworkers has to FIX amateur wiring jobs. :p Now, my DH works mainly on home electronics (his company stopped doing cars for the most part acouple of years ago), but a lot of his training encompasses both.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I got backed in to in a parking lot last weekend by a woman in an SUV with on of these.

My fiance was driving thru the lines looking for a spot, i saw the reverse lights but he wont stop to let people out and kept going when we were behind the car the car infront of us stopped to talk to someone thru their window. The SUV started to back up, we started honking and she still didnt stop and all i could do was sit there and watch as this huge SUV backed right into the door right next to me and my SIL. There was no room to back up and the car in front of us just gave him the bird when he honked so we had no choice but sit and watch. The SUV driver hit us and i guess didnt realize that she was blocked and hit the gas really hard and actually pushed us slightly sideways.

We all got out and she admitted to not seeing us and her back up alarm didnt say we were there. She tried to tell the cops we snuck behind her and she really didnt hit us. Yeah the black paint and huge dent appeared magically on our car and the white on her SUV is part of the factory paint job? Anyway she got a ticket and told her that those back up alarm things arnt all that consistent and not to trust it.

Something about the shiny ness of the car or size of it (of course if you'd just look behind you you probably would see something the size of a chevy beretta but this girl was S-L-O-W) I wouldnt trust it b/c apparently dirty and stuff can blcok it and it can malfunction. Maybe for extra safety on a really big car but i've found looking behind the car before getting in and looking around for kids and knowing where they are when you back up works just as well.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Aiyaiyai ... my 2004 Escape Limited has the backup sensor (from the manufacturer) - I like it a lot as my cargo area has a net & carseats with tethers anchored to the roof, which inhibit my viewing :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC