NHTSA's complaint database

ADS

Mama!

I've never searched it, but I know when I was reporting something a few mos ago, they had no options for Recaro yet, so it was all "nonspecific" and generic. Not very helpful.

daycaremom2002

OMG some of these are scary.....

"TL* - THE CONTACT STATED THAT WHEN MAKING A TURN ITHE SAFETY SEAT WILL FLIP OVER. SHE HAS TO HOLD THE SAFETY SEAT WHILE TURNING THE VEHICLE IN ORDER TO REACH THE SEAT. WHILE DRIVING THE CONTACT MUST POSITION THE SEAT AS FAR BACK AS POSSIBLE SO THAT SHE MAY PREVENT THE SEAT FROM FLIPPING OVER. SINCE THE CHILD WEAS ONLY 1 MONTH OLD THE CHILD COULD NOT BE PLACED IN THE FRONT SEAT. EDDIE BAUER COMFORT #22630LKM. NEEDED TO REGISTER CAR SEAT-702-807-9025. UPDATED *JB"

"CHILD CAR SEAT DOES NOT RECLINE PROPERTY AND MY CHILD'S HEAD IS NOT SUPPORTED. WHEN I MAKE A TURN HER HEAD FALLS FROM ONE SIDE TO THE OTHER. WHEN SHE FALLS ASLEEP HER HEAD HANGS WITH NO SUPPORT. I FEEL THAT IF I WAS IN AN ACCIDENT HER LIFE COULD BE ENDANGERED AND SOMETHING MUST BE DONE ABOUT THIS PROBLEM. *TR"

They are blaming these on the manufacturers?

crunchierthanthou

I see Recaro specific ones, although they appear to be entered by NHTSA staff.

daycaremom: I know! I couldn't count how many complaints there were about the Comfortsport harness straps being different lengths. I'm pretty sure that's operator error (uneven threading of the single length of webbing, the same as we see in Sceneras).

daycaremom2002

With the number of complaints about the OHS Tourivas, I am surprised that they started making an OHS Scenera. That should have convinced them to scrap it.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
daycaremom: I know! I couldn't count how many complaints there were about the Comfortsport harness straps being different lengths. I'm pretty sure that's operator error (uneven threading of the single length of webbing, the same as we see in Sceneras).

There was a recall on the comfortsport because of the LATCH belt routing being wrong though, and those people were having harness problems, so it's possible those could've been problems that led to the recall...

I'm amazed at those quoted ones though - one is obviously not reclined enough, and the other one sounds like it's not buckled in. :rolleyes:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
oy, I've looked at just the alpha elite, and am somewhat flabbergasted - one is a complaint about a cup holder not staying on - can someone explain to me the seat failure risk in that?

The other one is somebody not reading the recall instructions properly:
I AM NOT HAPPY WITH THE SOLUTION TO "FIX" THE RECALL. DOES DJG REALLY THINK THAT PUTTING A PLASTIC PIECE @ THE END OF THE STRAP WILL STOP THE HARNESS FROM SLIPPING WHERE INJURY WILL NOT BE CAUSED TO THE CHILD IN THE INVENT OF A CRASH. TWO CAR SEATS "FIXED" THE SAME WAY. WHEN YOU SPEND THAT KIND OF MONEY ON A CAR SEAT YOU EXPECT IT TO BE SAFE AND FOR THEM TO THINK THAT WILL FIX IS BULL. *JB

Evidently instead of replacing the adjuster strap they simply put that plastic piece - the one designed to be the stop on the new adjuster strap, onto the old adjuster strap - what did they think the rest of the kit was for? :confused:

Do you think there's a process for some of these complainants to be contacted when it's obvious they're making a mistake?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
This isn't a booster seat!

Make : EVENFLO Model : 367 (TITAN V) Year : All Years
Manufacturer : EVENFLO COMPANY, INC.
Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 10209049 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: November 3, 2007
Component: CHILD SEAT
Summary:
TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2007 EVENFLO 3371689A (NA) BOOSTER CHILD SEAT. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THERE WAS NO WAY TO SECURE THE CHILD SEAT IN THE VEHICLE. THE MANUFACTURER STATED THAT THERE WAS NO WAY TO SECURE THE SEAT AND ADVISED HER TO PLACE THE CHILD IN THE BOOSTER SEAT AND SECURE IT WITH A SEAT BELT. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THERE WAS NO SIDE SUPPORT ON THE CHILD SEAT. AS A RESULT, THE CHILD'S HEAD WOULD DANGLE OFF THE SEAT WHEN HE FELL ASLEEP. THE MANUFACTURED DATE, FAILURE TYPE, AND METHOD OF SECURING THE SEAT IN THE VEHICLE WERE UNKNOWN.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC