What do you do about toddler messing with chest clip?

bekah

We drove to the park today and ds has taken to saying that his straps are "too tight" Well I guess he decided to take matters into his own hands because I keep telling him they must be that way to be safe and he pushed his chest clip all the way down to the buckle area (in an EFTA). What do you do to prevent that!?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If the straps are honestly tight enough then it's quite difficult for them to get out of position on a child's shoulders. I just tried this with a kid two days ago in an EFTA properly tightened. Even with the chest clip down at the buckle I couldn't get the harness off his shoulders. So it becomes a discipline issue only, not a safety issue (provided the harness is actually as tight as he's complaining it is).

What some people have done is put the rough side of velcro on either side of the clip. It's still completely usable, you've just changed the texture. Kids generally don't like the feel of it and don't play with it anymore. And of course talk about it. Talk talk talk talk talk.

Wendy

U

Unregistered1

Well it may not work for everybody but A has always known that messing with her car seat will NOT be tolerated. If I go to get her out and see that she has messed with it, she gets the 'you're in big trouble kiddo' voice and a talk about how we NEVER EVER mess with our car seat because that's not safe and it scares me. I don't use that voice often so she knows I'm serious. Usually it only takes a couple times for the lesson to sink in. It might come back up at some point later but a stern reminder usually gets her back on track.

LCMOM

Senior Community Member
I had the same issue with DD for a couple of months; simply used the "voice of doom" and let her know there would be BIG trouble for messing with it; it truly IS a discipline issue... hearing that she might have to stay home instead of go to say, the library or park, if she messed with it helped too, as did a big brother who is a budding car seat fanatic and eager tattle tale :)

bekah

thanks for your help! He hasn't done it again thankfully! I did notice that the straps were still over his shoulders, no way to get out, but hope that telling him how unsafe that was did the job.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
If he continues doing it, put a piece of duct tape behind the chest clip - that will stop any movement and keep it in place.

I would be hesitant to recommend putting anything on the seat. Anything that might interfere with the function of the chestclip should be a last resort.

Mommypooh

My son did this just before his 3rd birthday and I looked at him and told him if we were in an accident that he would go flying through the window and would never see mommy again. He pulled it back up in place and never messed with it agian.

jwren

I have to agree with you.. sometimes a little fear of the reality will really make the difference..My son still plays with his straps wraping them behind his back and even knows how to loosen the harness now.. but he ONLY does it when we are parked.. He knows that is dangerous to do while I am driving.. I still tell him how dangerous it is when we are parked, but he is smart and knows if the car is not moving it's free game..:rolleyes: So I just have to fix it each time before we drive off.. then he leaves it alone..;) Hopefully that's as far as it will go..:confused::)

My son did this just before his 3rd birthday and I looked at him and told him if we were in an accident that he would go flying through the window and would never see mommy again. He pulled it back up in place and never messed with it agian.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC