outgrowing Blvd at 2.5?

LEAW

I've had 2 friends contact me in the last few days reporting their 2.5 yr olds are outgrowing MA/BV by height.

My dd still fits in our BV just fine at 3.5, with a LOOONG torso and being taller than the kids of my friends.

They both live far from me, so I can't get my hands on the seats, but is this a normal trend? I saw them both 8 mo ago and my dd towered over their kids, I'm really finding it hard to believe.

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
It is definitely possible!

My DN outgrew her MA at age 3.25, so she could have outgrown the BV around 2.5 or 2.75.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
It's rare, but it happens. My 33 month old, and my friend's DD who is 2 weeks older, have both outgrown the Blvd. My DD is 28 pounds and hers is 33, and neither are exceptionally tall.

myliljunebugs

My DD outgrew her BLVD at 2.5 years (ish) and 33-34lbs. I was NOT happy. She still has several inches of growing room in the MA (I checked her at Target). She also has several inches growth left in her EFTA that she is in now.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
My DD outgrew her BLVD at 2.5 years (ish) and 33-34lbs. I was NOT happy. She still has several inches of growing room in the MA (I checked her at Target). She also has several inches growth left in her EFTA that she is in now.

Hm. If your DD still has 'several inches' in the MA, there is no way she is out of the Blvd. There is only a difference of about 1/2 inch between the MA and Blvd. And the EFTA only has about an inch over the Blvd.

myliljunebugs

That is what everyone kept saying, but I promise I know what I am doing. I've been a car seat freak now for almost 4 years. It was twisted all the way to the top and she was just over the top position. I think I must have gotten a mess up but it's gone now so I can't get it looked at by Britax.

wendy1221

My friend just sold me her dd's Regent. Her dd still fit in it, had just moved to the TOP slots. She probably would have fit for another year or 2 in it, but she hated the seat. Probably b/c she's the youngest of 4 and wanted to ride in a big girl seat, imo. But she's only 4. Just turned 4, and was already in the top slots of the REGENT. SHe probably was too big for the Blvd before she was 3. She's extremely tall for her age. She's also very mature (no worries about her not sitting correctly in a booster, she's very mature, etc.) People always think she's at least 6 years old, if not older. She's almost as tall as my 8.5 year old. Her older siblings are also tall, but she is by far the tallest for her age.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
That is what everyone kept saying, but I promise I know what I am doing. I've been a car seat freak now for almost 4 years. It was twisted all the way to the top and she was just over the top position. I think I must have gotten a mess up but it's gone now so I can't get it looked at by Britax.

Hm.

abacus2

Another possibility is that they think that their kids are "outgrowing" the Blvd/Ma when really they have an inch or two of torso growth and could last another two years in the seat. My daughter needed the top slots of the Decathlon when we got it and it fit her for another year and a half. I'd guess it's fairly common to need the top slots starting around 2.5, but rare to truly outgrow the seat before 4.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Another possibility is that they think that their kids are "outgrowing" the Blvd/Ma when really they have an inch or two of torso growth and could last another two years in the seat. My daughter needed the top slots of the Decathlon when we got it and it fit her for another year and a half. I'd guess it's fairly common to need the top slots starting around 2.5, but rare to truly outgrow the seat before 4.

That is true.

My kid really is outgrowing it though. She is literally even with the Blvd top slots and has 1/2 inch in the Marathon.

J-max

CPST Instructor
My 4.5 year old is average size and is right at the top spot in a BLVD, I am having a hard time imagining too many 2.5 year olds outgrowing it.

I have heard of other people getting a "stuck" spot that the have a hard time getting the headrest up all the way, could this be happening? Also if the straps are not lose, it is hard to move it up.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I have heard of other people getting a "stuck" spot that the have a hard time getting the headrest up all the way, could this be happening? Also if the straps are not lose, it is hard to move it up.

I am thinking this must be what happened in the OP's case. My friend just got a brand new Blvd for her DD and when I was lowering the harness I ran into a dead spot where I couldn't lower it anymore. I turned both knobs and it let out a really loud pop/click and then lowered just fine. They are all made from the same molds so I am a little incredulous that one Blvd can have a harness height discrepancy that huge :twocents:

This was last summer, and DD has had two inches of torso growth since then. The Blvd pics were at BRU and she has less room in the car.
mastrapheight.jpg

anna010.jpg

anna011.jpg

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I am thinking this must be what happened in the OP's case. My friend just got a brand new Blvd for her DD and when I was lowering the harness I ran into a dead spot where I couldn't lower it anymore. I turned both knobs and it let out a really loud pop/click and then lowered just fine. They are all made from the same molds so I am a little incredulous that one Blvd can have a harness height discrepancy that huge :twocents:

I agree! I had the same happen to me at one time.

myliljunebugs

I checked against the back of the BLVD and it WAS at the top possible position. I'm not saying this is necessarily the case for OP, but in my situation it was. Believe me, I did NOT want to buy a new seat (newly single) and was absolutely shocked she had outgrown it when my son would have made it past the age of 4 and she is much shorter than him at the same age. I really wish I could get it back to show it to you so you would believe me. I have a hard time believing it, but seeing is believing. :twocents:

Amaris

Doesn't the blvd manual state to make sure the straps are loose when changing the height? I think there was actually a sticker on the side of the one we had that stated not to adjust it with the straps tight. Could this be what's happening?

kphil

Wow. My 5.5 yo still fits in the blvd and her sister was in it until she passed it down at 6 yo. Both are about 25th percentile kiddos, so smallish but not tiny. We have the same issue described above where the headrest seems to be stuck and then pops and will continue moving a lot further.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
It is always possible that these kids are super tall or long torso'd. But, if your child was way taller, I would be inclined to think that perhaps they are not outgrowing the sat. Perhaps the parents are just not sure when the sat is outgrown. What I would do is verify that they know exactly when the seat is outgrown, both ff and rf. I think many parents just don't know. I have TONS of friends who have no idea when a seat is actually outgrown.

Then, like others have said, make sure the BV is not sticking or something.

It's not impossible that a 2.5 year old would have outgrown the BV but pretty rare.

mom23boys

I have been following this thread and it's very interesting! Our ds3 had a BLVD and he is extremely big! Off the charts big since he was born! Heck, when they tried to stick his baby footprint on the sticker, the sticker wasn't big enough! He is not quite 4.5 and has a torso of 16.5-16.75 not real sure. He fit in his Blvd until about 4.4 yrs! I think we had one that was a little on the giving side as far as harness height! I took him to babiesrus last week to try the Regent and tried him in the Marathon just for kicks and he was definitely over the top slot! Marathons are generally a little higher than the BLvd so this was wierd! I came to the conclusion that ds blvd was freaky high with the top slot! I also think he got a little more room with BLVD installed!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC